IGNORED

Undue Delay ?

ken on the course
Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure  almost everyone at one time has gotten excited over the eagle they just made and while writing it down on their scorecard forgotten to put their putter back in their bag. Walking to the next hole you realize its still back on the green and while your playing partners walk to the next tee area, you run back to retrieve it. Perhaps it only takes a minute to do this, but never the less if you did you would be penalized under Rule 6-7 ( undue delay ). The penalty in Match Play is loss of hole and in Stroke Play its 2 strokes !  Has anyone ever called this on a playing partner, and if so are they still friends? Thoughts ? 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ken on the course said:

I'm sure  almost everyone at one time has gotten excited over the eagle they just made and while writing it down on their scorecard forgotten to put their putter back in their bag. Walking to the next hole you realize its still back on the green and while your playing partners walk to the next tee area, you run back to retrieve it. Perhaps it only takes a minute to do this, but never the less if you did you would be penalized under Rule 6-7 ( undue delay ). The penalty in Match Play is loss of hole and in Stroke Play its 2 strokes !  Has anyone ever called this on a playing partner, and if so are they still friends? Thoughts ? 

That likely doesn't rise to the level of "undue delay." Nor does saying "guys, I gotta pee" and going off to the port-a-john.

Also, 2019+ rules are denoted with a ., not a -. You're looking for 5.6 under the current Rules:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=5&subrulenum=6

A player must not unreasonably delay play, either when playing a hole or between two holes.

A player may be allowed a short delay for certain reasons, such as:

• When the player seeks help from a referee or the Committee,
  • When the player becomes injured or ill, or
  • When there is another good reason.

I think going back to get a putter is a "good reason," particularly if it only takes him "a minute."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In a 2 Man Match last year a similar situation occurred. 

We all hit our tee shots on a par three. 3 of us hit the green and one player (opponent) went in the pond.
We drive up to the green and next thing I know the guy who was in the water is driving back towards the tee.

His partner proceeds to putt as he is away. My partner and I have no idea what the player who drove off intends to do.
We are standing there awaiting our turn to play.
I finally ask what's up as we are waiting to play in our turn.

The reply was "He's out of the hole, he went back to get a club"
I'm like WTF, why didn't you announce this prior to him leaving the green!

Dumb shit like this irks me to no end....

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

I agree with that.

Thanks.

Typically undue delay involves negligence or willfully playing slowly.

Not accidents like forgetting your putter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!