IGNORED

What's happened to my game??

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have played golf for years now (approx 20 years) and for the last 10 have been a fairly consistent 16-18 handicap... Since moving to Dubai, not playing as much golf (now about 1 game every 2 months compared to 1 per week), I would estimate to be playing to around 25 now. It really is THAT much of a change.

I went to the range tonight as my last game was abismal. Something drastic has changed.

Majority of irons are ending up with some pissy little shank-like-top-slice. Driver is a wicked high major slice.

About 1 year ago, I was still a big hitter with the driver, and consistent too - most outings I'd pick up a longest drive prize, with a towering straight 280 yard drive. Not any more - I'm barely reaching 220yds with the driver

I tried some of the tips I've read on here - half swing, aim for 100yds flag etc and NOTHING working - same problem with all clubs.

Irons = Titleist 755 tri spec steel, reg flex
Driver = Titleist 905R 9 deg YS6+ stiff

Just felt horrendous on the range tonight - same as my last game and I have a works outing this weekend. I'm thinking its not going to be an enjoyable game!

Any suggestions for changes? Appreciate difficult without seeing the swing, but I'm desperate!!

I'm in need of a few lessons. Was thinking of new driver/reshaft, but the irons are screwed as well and so it must be the mechanic and not the tools! All clubs feel like I am getting a terrible contact.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I have had the same thing happen to me. When that happens I know that my TEMPO is off. Try slowing way down and find your groove/plane. When you find it then you can increase the speed a bit.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Take a look at your setup. I had an instructor once tell me, "90 percent of amateurs come to me and ask if I can look at their swing. 90 percent of scratch golfers and pros ask me to look at their setup".

I tend to agree with this. I had a bad golf outing this last Saturday and couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally figured it out two hours after the round ended. I was too upright in my stance, causing pushes to the right and slices. The slices weren't horrible, but everything went 20 yards to the right of my intended target.

My advice is forget the swing for now, take a look at your setup and figure out what is causing your swing to go wrong.

Because I got a late start, I have crammed a lifetime of golf into an intense three and half years. After 150 lessons, 500 rounds and 15,000 range shots, there is nothing new any more. I keep running into the same old same old.

I have kept a record of my flaws and fixes distilled into a laminated card in my wallet. I also carry other distillation products but that's for another thread.

You have been playing much longer than I have. If you just sit down and inventory your swing experience I'm sure that the answers will be staring you in the face.

if you're only playing once every 2 months, don't be so hard on yourself. Golf is too difficult if you're not playing regularly. Heck, it's difficult even when you are!

I have played golf for years now (approx 20 years) and for the last 10 have been a fairly consistent 16-18 handicap... Since moving to Dubai, not playing as much golf (now about 1 game every 2 months compared to 1 per week), I would estimate to be playing to around 25 now. It really is THAT much of a change.

I would suggest: just to relax and try to play a little bit more to build your confidence back up.

If you dont see an improvement short term. perhaps see an instructor. you'll be surprised with what they will pick-up in a 30min lesson. I feel a little uncomfortable even after a 14 day break of no golf.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I think I might be on to something but need to get on the range to check it out... Just been reading though swing tips in old golf mags I have lying around.

I am swinging VERY steep - at the top of a 3/4 swing, the shaft of the club is pointing straight up. Looking at swing photos in magazines, the angle of the shaft should be similar to where it was at address (but opposite)?

This means I am swinging sharply down causing face to remain open? Swinging a club in the house seems to feel like a flatter swing is easier to control as I am not needing to work as hard to get the club through.

Fingers crossed! Will see how it goes on Saturday...

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

Get a camcorder and you can help look at the swing or get a pro to give you a lesson. You're definitely coming over the top, but why you're doing that is something I can't tell w/o seeing the swing.

3JACK

Its cured! (Almost!) Was def swinging too steep - played much better today. Only weak point was the driver. Rest of game was a huge improvement. Happy days are almost back :D

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

Mrobbie:
Play the ball further back in your stance and hit wedges only until you get your rhythm back.

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!