IGNORED

Wedge Fitting

CPHoya
Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I cannot find a definitive answer to the following inquiry.

My irons are +.5". I play a 53º and 58º wedge. Should the wedges be +.5" as well? Or is it more important for the gap wedge to be .5" shorter than my PW?

My PW is 48º and at +.5" winds up being 36" long. Gap at 53º and sand at 58º gives me an even spread that I can work with. I think I want the 53º to be 35.5" and the lob wedge to be 35.25" long. Any comments about this sort of thing are very welcome.

Second, someone once told me that it's important to match shafts. But why would I throw a PX 5.5 into a lob wedge or gap wedge? Shouldn't the wedge flex True Temper be fine? If not, Rifle Precision makes the Spinner shaft for wedges anyway. I should obviously use the Spinner instead of a PX 5.5 in my wedges no matter what, right?

I'm so confused.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

I don't know about your shaft question, but I just got fit last night and they are adding half inch extensions to all of my irons and my wedges, but are not touching my woods.

I generally fit wedges shorter than the irons, sometimes -1/2" and sometimes -1/4", depending on how the wedges are used (full or 1/2 shots) Same with the shafts, I like to have matching shafts in the wedges that are being used for full shots. You also don't have to match shaft brand or model but I am a believer of making sure the flex is at least close.

For example, I use my gap wedge for full shots most of the time so I built it -1/2" with the same shaft as my irons. I use my 55 and 59 wedges for more delicate shots around the greens so I built those -1/4" but using a little softer flex than my irons and with Rifle Spinner shafts because I'm trying to maximize the spin on these two clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played the .5 in my irons and never thought of the wedges until my club guy mentioned it to me. Since it had gone on so long I didn't worry about it because I had the distances burned into my fiber and didn't want to change anything. If it is possible you want to keep the spread consistent as per the original specs. Your idea is right on the money as the 54ish gap wedge is generally .5 off the pw and the lob is .25 from the gap. I have no problems with the wedge flex, but recently changed so that I have DG S series in irons and wedges.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I was told awhile ago by a friend of mine that played on the Nationwide Tour and is a bit of a club fitting guru to make the gap wedge the same length as the pitching wedge. I don't know how this is justified other than to say the gap wedge is my favorite club in the bag and I do hit it great. I was a little afraid that the gap wedge would get a little too heavy with the longer shaft, but it turned out okay.

3JACK

I was told awhile ago by a friend of mine that played on the Nationwide Tour and is a bit of a club fitting guru to make the gap wedge the same length as the pitching wedge. I don't know how this is justified other than to say the gap wedge is my favorite club in the bag and I do hit it great. I was a little afraid that the gap wedge would get a little too heavy with the longer shaft, but it turned out okay.

You bring up a good point about the gap being the same as the PW. My example was for a 54 degree SW...I hope this clarifies.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Its more bounce than anything

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

That has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything in any of the preceding posts, but yes, the bounce matters.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

All of my clubs are +1" except my driver. My GW and PW are the same length. That is how Titleist did them at the factory and I am not one to argue with them. I love the GW. I use it more than any club other than my putter. Granted that is because I miss too many greens.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

That has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything in any of the preceding posts, but yes, the bounce matters.

Yes it does--whenever you bend a club the bounce specs change. In my case it was for the better. It depends on the manufacturer and the type of sole grind the wedge has...A wedge like the Taylormade RAC has an intermediate sole grind which allows you to open the blade more

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I generally fit wedges shorter than the irons, sometimes -1/2" and sometimes -1/4", depending on how the wedges are used (full or 1/2 shots) Same with the shafts, I like to have matching shafts in the wedges that are being used for full shots. You also don't have to match shaft brand or model but I am a believer of making sure the flex is at least close.

Everardo,

I have a quesiton for you. In iron set generally, manufactuers have the lie angles descrease 0.5 deg for every 0.50" off shaft length. Why when it comes to wedges, they all have the same lie angle of 64 or 63 regardless of the length difference?

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Everardo,

There is a point when club angles should level plus most manufacturers figure a golfer swing their wedges the same so it started with that trend. More and more people are learning that the shorter the club the more need to have these clubs fit properly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!