IGNORED

How do you hit your pitch shots?

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's say 30 yard and 50 yard pitch shots.

Which club do you use?
How do you setup for it?
Grip down or not?
Open club face (stance) or not?
How big of a back swing and follow through?
Weight shift? Weight in the frong leg?
Ball position?

I'm having trouble with these shots.
I couldn't find a way to be consistant enough.
Half of the time I couldn't make a good contact so I either hit it thin or fat.
I do accelerate through impact!

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

here is my way....

60 deg.
open stance
ball towards right foot
short backswing followed by short follow through
clubface square

it works for me....one thing you might want to do is...get yourself a little notebook and write down setups and swing thoughts for diff. yardages/clubs

I am to old to try and remember everything...the notes have really been helpful when I am out on the course..it allows me to enjoy it more, knowing that at least I was in the proper setup/swing for the shot, even if I do hit it bad.

It depends on if I want the ball to bounce, bounce, bite... or roll out a bit. What I want depends on how much green I have to work with.

Which club do you use? 9i, PW, 53*, 58*
How do you setup for it? little open front foot, but pretty normal
Grip down or not? yes just a bit, more for shorter
Open club face (stance) or not? usually no, unless trying to get it up quick and stop when it lands
How big of a back swing and follow through? depends... main thing is they are close to the same (back and through) and accelerate.
Weight shift? Weight in the frong leg? it will shift, but not as drastic, end on front.
Ball position? middle

above is what I do... others might be different. If I want that hard biting shot, I play one of wedges and hit down on the ball being sure to hit ball first.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

if i have a clear path to the green and the pin is not obstructed by any rough i will hit a pitching wedge bump and run because my fairways are RIDICULOUSLY FAST. i take a half swing with little wrist cock and hit down on the ball with a slightly closed blade

from 50, i always hit lob wedge. 75% swing, land it close

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Too many variables. Basically if there's not much to think about it's simply a fairly light grip, good balance and the key for me is commit to swing length and hit it with a patient tempo. I like using my sand wedge (52). BUT, earlier today I had about a forty yard shot and I hit a 9 iron low, caught it crisp, it hit the front of the green and ran to the hole. Windy conditions made me want to keep it low.

A 52 Deg. wedge, with a short back swing, then pinch that ball right against the clubface, then hope for a couple hops and a check.

Ft-i 10dg
200 steel 3 wood 15dg, 22dg rescue dual
edge cft 19dg hybrid
G2 (4-pw)
spin milled 52,58dg (oil can)white hot tour #2hawk

30 and 50 yard pitch shots can be played with the same club. I would suggest a sand wedge over a lob wedge. I would play the ball close to the left foot (assuming you're right handed). Try bending your knees. Practice will give you a feel for distance. Obviously the length of the backswing will determine the distance. The sand wedge is easier to hit than the lob wedge.

Driver: G2 Aldila 65s
3-wood: G5 fujikura vista pro 70 s
16* G5 hybrid TFC 100 shaft s
irons: 3-SW Ping G2 CS Lite s LW: ping eye 2Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

thanks for your replies, guys.
I guess I should have been even more speicif.
I'm talking about places where you can't do bump and run.
There's rough or some hills in between.
I'm expecting the ball to roll forward for less than 10 ft after it land on green from these pitch shots.

also do you cock your wrist like you are doing a full swing or is it more like chipping without conscious wrist cock?

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

I stand pretty square but depending on how short the pin is on the green I may open up a bit.

THE #1 thing I do to help spin the ball is hold off my finsh. I do not release the club. You'll find this really helps to put spin on the ball and hit it higher.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I set up for that shot with either a SW or LW.

Slightly open stance
Hands ahead
Weight favoring left leg
Eyes focused on the back of the ball
Keep regular tempo

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

For 30 yards: 60 degree lob wedge, ball in the center, 60% swing, accelerate-through, square at contact, break wrists as normal...

See how that gets you and adjust the speed as necessary

rusrus

Stand Bag: Grom
Driver: R5 Dual
Irons (3-P): 735CM StainlessWedge 52: FEEL DesignerWedge 56: FEEL DesignerWedge 60: FEEL DesignerPutter: Natalie 35"

I stand pretty square but depending on how short the pin is on the green I may open up a bit.

so you would aim left? do you have a youtube video on this topic?

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

60* lob wedge for both shots
set up square, with left foot turned forward. Ball in the back of my stance.
Backswing Length determines distance, and this is different for every golfer so You need to find what length back swing with each wedge gives you what distance.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

thanks for your replies, guys.

Everyone is giving good advice as to technique, as you can see people hit that shot several different ways, to me it's just a shot that you have to practice often to be able to hit. This shot requires a rock solid rhythm(no decelaration), and you must finish the swing(no chopping). Resist the urge to look up, keep your head down and remember a few feet long is usually better than a few feet short on this type of shot.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

thanks everyone.
rep points for all of you.

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

I tend to be a little too timid on these shots, and don't follow through, which results in a shot landing short of the green, or on the front of the green but short of the hole. But what works best for me is to put my hands just a little ahead of the ball, place the ball towards my right foot, take a half swing with my 52* wedge, and accelertae hard down and through the ball, which helps get it airborne and stick once on the green. But the fast acceleration often results in a fatty shot...

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I always use my gap wedge from 40 to 115. For me it is eaisier to develop feel for the yardage.

I dont like my SW out of the fairway, and dont like the LW unless it's below 40.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!