IGNORED

Callaway Chromesoft Split

Note: This thread is 1132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw this happen Monday night.  The guy said he has split 6 of the dozen!  We're playing on a simulator and I believe he is hitting wedges into the wooden supports near the screen. 

Chromesoft.jpg

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

That's incredibly rare these days for any new ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I saw this happen Monday night.  The guy said he has split 6 of the dozen!  We're playing on a simulator and I believe he is hitting wedges into the wooden supports near the screen. 

Chromesoft.jpg

Whaaaaaattt??? How the f.....? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm playing tomorrow night.   I'll take pictures of the area I believe he is hitting.    He's a low handicap player with a high swing speed.

That happens all the time time to me. Having such a powerful swing destroys golf balls. 
Back in The real world, the only time I see damage like that is frOm a lawn mower. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

8 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'm playing tomorrow night.   I'll take pictures of the area I believe he is hitting.    He's a low handicap player with a high swing speed.

I thought you said he was hitting a wedge????

6 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

That happens all the time time to me. Having such a powerful swing destroys golf balls. 
Back in The real world, the only time I see damage like that is frOm a lawn mower. 

Funny story, Carl. 
So, 20-25 years ago, there was guy in my work golf league who always said he was a scratch player... at least that's what he told us. He also used to say he hit driver 300 yards (this was back when 300 yards was far.) We called the guy "half wedge", because every approach shot he'd say "This is a half-wedge for me". Every time I ever played with him, he'd say "Man, I don't think I've ever played this badly."

The other thing he'd tell us is that he'd "Cave in the face" of his driver a couple times per year. So, he was always getting a new driver. 

Sure enough, one time I was playing with him and it did seem as though he "caved in the face" of his driver. 

Come to find out. Somebody supposedly caught him on the course after he'd raced ahead of everyone. He was thinking he was alone, midway through and was using a big rock to hammer a ball into the face of his driver so that it would be "caved in" before he'd tee off. So, he was destroying the driver face, just to give the appearance that he "caved it in" on his next swing. I guess when he was caught he tried to play it off as he had "caved in" the face of his driver on the previous hole, and was using the rock and the ball "trying to fix it" so that he could use it the rest of the round. 🤣

Here's the kicker. He actually would take his driver back to the shop where he bought it and they would replace it for him. Now that takes some balls. And I don't mean Titleist's. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The other thing he'd tell us is that he'd "Cave in the face" of his driver a couple times per year. So, he was always getting a new driver. 

I did that once to a Ti Bubble II driver. I assume it was a manufacturing defect.

- Shane

(edited)

It has to be the covered rafters in the simulator that is cracking the golf balls.   Here's a Bridgestone that I was using today:   They don't go very far when they have ventilation like this!

Below is a "not very good" pic of the rafters/board in the simulator.  

bridgestone cracked.jpg

sim.jpg

Edited by dennyjones

Note: This thread is 1132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!