IGNORED

Tee Box Markers

Barry Bartha
Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are 4 sets of tee boxes all about 10 yards long. The senior tee marker is in the front of the tee box. To be fair in handicapping, shouldn’t the other 3 tee box markers, also be placed up front ? I play a course that does not have this consistency. If one marker is up front and the next marker is in the back that’s a 20 yard advantage off the tee.

52 minutes ago, Barry Bartha said:

There are 4 sets of tee boxes all about 10 yards long. The senior tee marker is in the front of the tee box. To be fair in handicapping, shouldn’t the other 3 tee box markers, also be placed up front ? I play a course that does not have this consistency. If one marker is up front and the next marker is in the back that’s a 20 yard advantage off the tee.

In a perfect world, each set of tees should be "balanced", some in front of normal, some behind, so that the total yardage is fairly close to the yardage on the card.  This is a recommendation for handicap purposes.  If that is done, someone playing the more forward tee might get a little advantage on one hole, but be disadvantaged at a different hole.  As long as the total distances are relatively close to the card yardage, it should be fair over the length of the round.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Generally it is a matter of swings and roundabouts compensation but the tee makers should not be placed more than 10 yards from the permanent marker.

If the total length differs from the rated length by more that 100 yards, Appendix G specifies the adjustment to be made to the course rating and slope. If it is more than 300 yards the Authorised Association must be contacted.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Generally it is a matter of swings and roundabouts compensation but the tee makers should not be placed more than 10 yards from the permanent marker.

If the total length differs from the rated length by more that 100 yards, Appendix G specifies the adjustment to be made to the course rating and slope. If it is more than 300 yards the Authorised Association must be contacted.

At one of the courses I play a lot of the greens keepers have never played golf.  There is some very creative placing of the tee markers.  Oftentimes they would make Salvador Dali proud.

I've never thought of it in relation to handicap but on one of the Par-3 holes on my league course occasionally they set the Yellow tees slightly behind the White tees.  It is one of those holes were the tee boxes are staggered left & right and the cart path runs between them.  Every now & then they put the white tees on the front end of the middle tee box on the left of the path and the Yellow tee on the rear of the more forward box to the right of the path.  We checked with a laser once and the Yellows were @ 2 yards longer to the pin.  Not much but it pissed off the older players that use the Yellow tees because that hole was for the "Closet to the Pin" prize that day.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!