IGNORED

Shaft Flex

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a new Ping G5 9 degree driver with the Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft on it. Went to the range today and the blasts were crazy high (I fear when I have to use this into the wind...) LONG as heck but too high for my taste.

My driver head speed is around 110mph normally, should I have bought an extra stiff flex? Is this why the balls are launching into orbit?

Ball flight was very much like my standard 4-5 iron trajectory...PS, this is my first 460cc driver and I haven't bought a driver in 10 years so maybe this is normal with newer type drivers???

your thoughts?
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

Mike,

It's the shaft. It promotes a high launch and is suited for average swing speeds. This is not the case, for you, since your swing speed is very fast.

If you want to stay with Graffaloy, try the Graffaloy Blue.

How do you want your ball flight? How heavy of a shaft do you want? How aggressive is your swing?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Got a new Ping G5 9 degree driver with the Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft on it. Went to the range today and the blasts were crazy high (I fear when I have to use this into the wind...) LONG as heck but too high for my taste.

The ProLaunch Blue tends to launch the ball high with spin. It also tends to play soft to spec, IMO. It DOES have a nice feel; if you like the feel, you might want to go up in weight and stiffness. Or, consider the new ProLaunch Platinum, or even the ProLaunch Red.

Ping Drivers do have a high center of gravity

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

thanks guys. too bad since i just bought the thing. ha! figures. Ill play it out this year and see how things go on the course then decide from there. All things considered I should give it a chance on the course, with my tee height and my balls. Range balls stink and I was on a mat using those rubber tees that have a set height....

I like low burner drives and light shaft on my driver...hence the swing speed! Agressiveness?....My tempo is average but I definately 'attack' the ball. Im 6-2 235 lbs I think a stiffer driver shaft would be wise. The prolaunch red looks like what Im looking for. Whats the average price to have a shop reshaft this club?

I am not doing it yet though! I want to give this a chance like it is. haha
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

thanks guys. too bad since i just bought the thing. ha! figures. Ill play it out this year and see how things go on the course then decide from there. All things considered I should give it a chance on the course, with my tee height and my balls. Range balls stink and I was on a mat using those rubber tees that have a set height....

Generally, installation of a shaft is between $17-$20. You also would be charged for the grip and installation. Anywhere between $8 and $15. The real cost comes with puring. If you get that done, it's between $50-$60.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The UST site has a good interactive shaft fitting guide - but you need info such as swing speed and club head speed. Then you add preferences such as distance/control and ball flight (high/med/low) and it suggests the shafts that they offer that best suits your selections.

http://www.ustgolfshaft.com/swingfit/

Critical part is swing speed & club head speed - which I do not know. Need to go find that out - this is obtained from a launch monitor?

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

thats a cool website, nice post. this may be obvious, but if you tee it up lower, that helps with launch angle as well

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

thats a cool website, nice post. this may be obvious, but if you tee it up lower, that helps with launch angle as well

I'm sure that tee height and trajectory have some correlation in general, however I used to play with a guy that hit a 9.5 deg 905T (grafalloy blue X flex) with the tee almost all the way in the ground and he hit towering SUPER long drives. He had a very fast, powerful & consistent swing though and it resulted in huge drives.

But would agree - if hitting too high, try teeing lower to see if that helps you

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

That UST fitting application is very nice.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

My speed is around 120-130mph, I have the Aldila NV Stiff shaft and I hit the ball quiet high sometimes. I might need to look into a stiffer shaft aswell.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

I also need a new shaft. I have a 9.5* SQ Sumo by Nike, with the stock Diamana shaft which is a stiff flew. But the bend point seems to be too low, and my average drives go WAY high and about 265 to 280. I want a Graffaloy ProLaunch Red, but I do not know if I need a stiff or an X stiff for my swing speed which is about 110. I would like a low, boring trajectory. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind, i just turned 15 so I am still growing... =P

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

• 4 weeks later...
Prolaunch Blue Stiff shafts are made to lauch them high. I had the same driver hit it straighter but lost 20 yards of the drives due to the hight. Talked to a long drive pro and he told me about The difference in shafts. I will never get a Graffo Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft again. Good for maybe people who need help getting it up. Not for me not that old yet.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!