IGNORED

Question about hitting the ball off the hosel?

Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for about 10 years off and on. I worked at a Golf Course a couple of years ago and played almost everyday. I took about a year off for some reason and recently started playing a couple months ago. I started hitting the ball off the hosel( causing a NASTY banana ball), something I have never done prior. I would scoot back from the ball a little bit more (weight on the balls of my feet, maybe a little more foward), and would hit the ball as solid as ever. Sometimes I would fall off balance in my followthrough due to backing up a bit more. Is there a certain drill/technique I can do to make sure I'm the same distance from the ball (relative to the club) each time I line up to hit the ball?

On my wedges I feel like im a little far away but strike the ball fine (for the most part). When I see the tour players hit wedges, the shaft seems really close to their legs, even on iron shots.When I put the ball close to me, it comes off the hosel. I'm about 6'1" with pretty long arms, if this helps.

Thanks in adance.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Anyone?...

In my Stand Bag
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Yes there is a great technique to use...I found out that if you actually start your swing by SPRINGING forward with your legs past the balland Springing them back it will cause your hips to clear a great deal...Jack Nickalus used to move a little bit forward to spring back--this meant that he would always come on an inside path to the ball...I hope this helps a lot--you shouldnt hit it off the hosel with this tip

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

What do you mean by springing my legs foward then back? Not swaying them right? And there is no right distance to be from the ball just as long as you stay balanced throughout the shot?

In my Stand Bag

What do you mean by springing my legs foward then back? Not swaying them right? And there is no right distance to be from the ball just as long as you stay balanced throughout the shot?

I mean by starting your swing by moving your entire body forward a little past the ball and using that energy to move backwards on the backswing..Act like your hip is being pushed forwards a little bit and it naturally will come back like a spring to your backswing..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Oh ok I thought that was what you meant, just wanted clarification. Thanks, I will give this a shot.

In my Stand Bag

Also to remember to keep your hands moving at all times throughout the swing--try not to pause at all...Best Wishes Kid

• Administrator
Also to remember to keep your hands moving at all times throughout the swing--try not to pause at all...Best Wishes Kid

What? Seriously? You're advocating a trigger move to start the swing in order to cure the shanks?

To the OP, please ignore r7 425. Please look up the many cures for the shanks available in our forum OR on the Internet in general.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What? Seriously? You're advocating a trigger move to start the swing in order to cure the shanks?

Obviosuly not off the start--some people have one plane swings..I meant in the transition off of the backswing to the downswing to keep you arms moving--this guarantees that a pause or twitch will be taken out of the equation..If you notice--a lot of people that shank-pause and then come over the top

This is something I have struggled with quite a bit. In general, I have found that monkeying with your distance from the ball is a short term fix. When I start shanking, the best way I have found to stop is to really focus on the fundamentals.

Start with your setup. Let your arms hang naturally, don't try to force the ball too close or too far away. Make sure you are set up square with your target line.

Make a productive waggle. Concentrate on rehearsing impact (I pretty much use Ben Hogan's method outlined in Five Lessons). This will ingrain a solid impact in your muscle memory and clear your head from thinking about shanking the ball.

Make a smooth, on-plane swing. Don't whip the clubhead inside as this will cause you to get wristy near impact to compensate (my most common reason for shanking). Tempo is key here, don't rush the swing.

Anyway, this is what works the best for me. I really would not want to try to add any contrived starting moves. Frankly, that seems gimmicky to me and would add an unneccessary swing thought to every shot.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

[QUOTE=Trevor07Silvy;117408] Is there a certain drill/technique I can do to make sure I'm the same distance from the ball (relative to the club) each time I line up to hit the ball?

To me distance from the ball is really just maintaining the same set up which is dictated by your posture, arm length and distance of hands from your body. once you know what works for you it "should" be easy to set up the same distance each time. More people err on ball position too far back or forward, than distance from the ball. Notice the pros all go through the same preshot routines so their setup is consistent. The closer to the ball you are, the more upright and vertical your swing becomes increasing the odds for outside/over moves to gain space in the downswing that can result in shanks. I see where some pros stand real close to the ball, but that does not mean you have the timing and balance to do it also. Nothing is right or wrong, only what works for you in a repeatable way.

Erik...can we not just ban r7 425?? That's quite possibly the worst advice I've ever heard...

r7 425's advice, while not responsive to the issue of consistent setup from the ball was actually good advice for all swing faults in that your body all ready knows how to swing a bat, an axe, a stick, a pick, a weedwacker and a golf club. We do not need lessons for that. What we need is trust and tempo, timing and balance and a swing starter is a great way to clear the conscious mind of swing thoughts and negativity, which block the swing, and allow for great tempo at the start and throughout the swing.

• Administrator
Obviosuly not off the start--some people have one plane swings..I meant in the transition off of the backswing to the downswing to keep you arms moving--this guarantees that a pause or twitch will be taken out of the equation..If you notice--a lot of people that shank-pause and then come over the top

No, you were talking about the start of the swing. You previously said:

I mean by starting your swing by moving your entire body forward a little past the ball and using that energy to move backwards on the backswing.

I'm getting really tired of your act. You say one preposterous thing, claim you said something else later, and keep on going. You have no accountability and you've been caught in outright lies several times.

Erik...can we not just ban r7 425?? That's quite possibly the worst advice I've ever heard...

You know, I have a problem doing that because he hasn't done anything wrong - he's just an incredibly ignorant idiot.

r7 425's advice, while not responsive to the issue of consistent setup from the ball was actually good advice for all swing faults in that your body all ready knows how to swing a bat, an axe, a stick, a pick, a weedwacker and a golf club.

His advice, however, had little to do with the question posed by the OP.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wanted to share with you soemthing that Nicklaus commonly did...that Jim Mclean talked about...Also--- jack used a stationary press...which helps with the hands....A forward press is great for rebounding into the backswing..Read this article...it is a very helpful piece of information--i was not lying about what i said

its under "Every golfer needs something to trigger the swing" .... http://books.google.com/books?id=bd-...fuEFxqBUi-I=en http://books.google.com/books?id=bd-...I=en#PPA105,M1

• Administrator
I wanted to share with you soemthing that Nicklaus commonly did...that Jim Mclean talked about...Also--- jack used a stationary press...which helps with the hands....A forward press is great for rebounding into the backswing..Read this article...it is a very helpful piece of information--i was not lying about what i said

And I was not lying when I said that a trigger move had little to nothing to do with shanks. Scroll back and read or something.

Please stop commenting in this thread, r7. You continue to add little to nothing to almost every discussion you join. Besides, you were caught lying. The trigger move is not between the backswing and downswing. You've done this in other threads, too - claiming to have said something else when the proof is right there in your prior posts. The act has worn thin. Let's get back on topic.

Ive been playing this game for nearly 15 years now and have a 5 handicap but have been lower and have played at University level, so i think i am quite well qualified to give advice.

Whenever i shank, which is rare, i always look at my posture.

To stop shanking correct your posture by moving back on to your heels- i swear that this is the best fix out there and it works..too far on to your toes and you will push /shank the ball more often.

A great swing comes from great fundamentals, in particular great posture.

At home........

Lean back in to the wall so that your arse is imbedded in to it as a posture drill..lol...you will never shank again.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!