IGNORED

Best Iron to Hit Upside Down?

PKII
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a scratch golfer and have been playing golf right-handed for most of my life.  Sometimes when my playing partner is left handed, and I feel like showing off or making a few bucks or free beer, I'll bet I can hit the ball closer to the pin on a par 3 off of a tee with his club.  Laughing and talk about how bad my left hand swing probably is happens. Bet accepted. I tee the ball up as high as I can.  To his amazement or horror after a few horrible left handed swings,  I go to the other side of the ball and spin the club upside down (hosel up) in a right handed grip and rip it.  I usually win the bet.  I do the same thing with drivers off of tees and I usually crush the ball way past theirs (about 250 range), their shock sets in and it is great. Teeing it as high as possible lets the toe of the clubs to clear and doesn't damage the toe.  Most of the time I just use their exact club because you can adjust loft by twisting the club in the setup, teeing it as high as possible, and hitting it like a hovering shot, hosel up.

This has me thinking about what is the ideal iron number to use if I bought a left handed club to actually use off of the ground, toe into the turf.  The ratio of the offset to hosel position on a 5 iron seems to be ideal while gripped right handed hosel up from off of a tee, allowing the toe to clear.  The 5 iron toe (club face height) is the iron that decreases in size the most for how big the 6 iron toe (club face height) is.  What if I wanted to hit the ball like a normal on the ground shot.  Would a left handed 6 or 8 iron be ideal because less offset and higher club face left handed meaning flipped hosel up and used right handed wider hitting area?  Which left handed iron gripped right handed hosel up and hit right handed off of turf would be best?  Any opinions, science, answers??

• iacas changed the title to Best Iron to Hit Upside Down?
  • Administrator

Uhhhhhhhh, all I can tell you is that wedges are shorter and have more mass and often slightly rounded toes. I usually hit wedges when I’m doing this.

Which is like twice a year.

And is usually my righty wedge swung lefty.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, PKII said:

Which left handed iron gripped right handed hosel up and hit right handed off of turf would be best?  Any opinions, science, answers??

I've seen a few skilled players hit shots when showing off, hit lefty drivers.
I do know a few righty players who carry a lefty club in their bag and can hit it well.

But I see no point in turning a club up just to hit it?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 hours ago, Club Rat said:

But I see no point in turning a club up just to hit it?

To get loft you have to invert it, and a wedge is your best bet.

But it's amazing how far you can hit it by just hitting the back of a 4 iron with your opposite hand if it's stuck next to a tree and you don't have a stance.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

12 hours ago, Shorty said:

To get loft you have to invert it,

True as noted by Erik, but why would anyone ever purposely toe up a wedge in the middle of a fairway and use this manner to play a shot other than to maybe try it as an experiment?

Granted many of us have taken a left handed hockey slap with long irons in their bag to advance the ball. 
But they were seldom done in the manner of using the Toe Down approach which the OP indicates.

I recently had to use my wedge in this manner in an attempt to chip a shot over a greenside bunker rolling the toe down and hit it from the left standing position.
The ball rested at the top edge of a pot belly bunker on grass. I had no play to stand in the bunker with the ball level to my belt.
I opted to take the chance and didn't get the ball elevated enough to carry over the greenside sand bunker, although it came close.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!