IGNORED

All my irons carry the same distance

TANK
Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all. Ive been trying to step up my game a little...been practicing my irons a lot at the range. I noticed that i hit my 8-7-6-5 iron's pretty much the same distance, with very little variance. Every now and then ill get the distance i SHOULD be out of each iron....and from what I can tell it comes from when my hips get as involved as they should be. Has anyone else had this bizarre problem and if so, how did you correct it?? Also, anyone who has struggled with getting their hips through a shot...what did you do to correct this? Thanks for your time.

In the Grom bag:

Driver: G5 9* Aldila NV65
Irons: I-3 O-size
SW: cg14 56*Putter: Marilyn

it sounds like you are casting the club you want to get you hands forward of the ball at impact. you also want you body and arms to work to gether start the down swing with a weight sift with your legs and hips then turn through with chest. i have a problem with swinging to much arms and i try to tell myself swing with my chest

it sounds like you are casting the club you want to get you hands forward of the ball at impact. you also want you body and arms to work to gether start the down swing with a weight sift with your legs and hips then turn through with chest. i have a problem with swinging to much arms and i try to tell myself swing with my chest

the above is precisely my problem - swinging with my arms. Occasionally I add a bit of shoulder to it, and once in a blue moon I seem to get everything right and have a perfect shot. No idea what I need to to to engrain the "everything" swing into my brain!

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I am not sure about the distance of all your irons but for the hip part try shifting your hip to the target first before your down swing and see what happen.

We all been there before and these are part of golf so hang in there and you will love golf soon. :)

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

the above is precisely my problem - swinging with my arms. Occasionally

Get more shoulder into the swing. also make sure you keep the triangle (hands - left elbow - right elbow) a consistent shape throughout the backswing and follow through.

Oh and one more thing, keep that left arm straight, dont you dare bend it on the takeaway!! these tips may help with your consistency and hopefully help to hit your irons the correct distances. work on these one at a time and slowly bring them all together. hope this helps, good luck!
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I am not sure about the distance of all your irons but for the hip part try shifting your hip to the target first before your down swing and see what happen.

so should it basically feel like im pulling my hands through with my hips (does that make sense at all?)

In the Grom bag:

yeah that makes sense, just dont block the shot with your hips, make sure you clear the hips out of the way. but under_par is right, the hands should be working in unison with the hips. make sure to get through the shot to where your belly button is facing the target.
Sticks
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Hello all. Ive been trying to step up my game a little...been practicing my irons a lot at the range. I noticed that i hit my 8-7-6-5 iron's pretty much the same distance, with very little variance. Every now and then ill get the distance i SHOULD be out of each iron....and from what I can tell it comes from when my hips get as involved as they should be. Has anyone else had this bizarre problem and if so, how did you correct it?? Also, anyone who has struggled with getting their hips through a shot...what did you do to correct this? Thanks for your time.

As your setup and swing improves you should start to see more of a difference in distance between the clubs. Most people go through that problem at some point, for better players it is usually with the long irons. In the 90's there was an article in one of the golf magazines with Davis Love III and his instructor (at the time) Jack Lumpkin that discussed Love having the problem with his irons.

As for the hip issue: Usually players who have poor posture with the lower body at setup and overactive legs and hips on the backswing have trouble getting them to work correctly on the downswing. Look at some of the recent (video clip) swings requesting help with mechanics at the link below: http://www.swingacademy.com/Categori...&analyzed;=True Many of those players have their hips set low (not much of a belt tilt line), excessive knee flex, and follow that with a lot of leg and/or hip motion on the backswing. The farther the hips travel in the backswing the farther (and quicker) they would have to travel in the downswing to get in the desired location. Compare that with the belt line and hip motion of Steve Elkington and Retief Goosen in the picture(s) below: http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?i...swingdlap5.jpg http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/f..._sequence.html Setup to your reflection in a mirror (or window) and compare yourself to what you see in the picture(s) of the pros. The less distance your hips and legs have to travel to impact the easier it will be to move them there.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

And how long have you been playing golf? I would guess not very long. But don't worry, your hitting all irons the same distance is ongoing process to become better at ball striking. That's the key, ball striking.

In time with good instructor, which I strongly recommend you to get one, you will begin to develop your own signature swing. The swing that is consistent and will stay with you pretty much the rest of you playing golf. There's no perfect swing and you would be tweaking your swing a bit here and there for the rest of the time. So at the moment if you want to see any improvement in distance, you need to work on your swing then ball striking. Find an instructor who will teach you how to do a proper golf swing and then see yourself in 3 months ahead. I'm sure you'll get different distances with different irons. Hope this helps. PS: You swing with your big muscle, not small muscle. For instance, use your shoulder not your wrist.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

yeah that makes sense, just dont block the shot with your hips, make sure you clear the hips out of the way. but under_par is right, the hands should be working in unison with the hips. make sure to get through the shot to where your belly button is facing the target.

hmm ok im starting to understand. I can tell you though, I definitly dont feel like im getting my belly button toward the target. I went for my first lesson a few weeks back, the pro was telling me i should do this drill where i drag my left foot up (im a left) at the follow through so my knees are close together. I understand the point of the drill....to focus on weight transfer, but i need the HOW to the weight transfer issue...as in HOW THE HELL do i initiate and finish and rotate through without hitting a snap-hook. Ill try all the things listed in the thread so far.

In the Grom bag:

As your setup and swing improves you should start to see more of a difference in distance between the clubs. Most people go through that problem at some point, for better players it is usually with the long irons. In the 90's there was an article in one of the golf magazines with Davis Love III and his instructor (at the time) Jack Lumpkin that discussed Love having the problem with his irons.

And how long have you been playing golf? I would guess not very long. But don't worry, your hitting all irons the same distance is ongoing process to become better at ball striking. That's the key, ball striking.

Thank you both for your advice, trust me its all being absorbed. Pictures help and I am watching the videos as we speak. I wish i could dish out some reps!

In the Grom bag:

Ringer teaches the correct downswing in this video .

Your arms are just a pendulum, you do not need to use the arm muscles on the way down. You start the downswing by pushing off your right foot to shift weight to the left. Your arms will whip around, no need for coercion or manipulation. Your hands will automatically stay ahead of the club head and the club will descend on the correct plane. As the weight shift is completed your left hip will automatically move to the rear, no need to consciously rotate them.

Ringer is 'da man'.

I went for my first lesson a few weeks back, the pro was telling me i should do this drill where i drag my left foot up (im a left) at the follow through so my knees are close together. I understand the point of the drill....to focus on weight transfer, but i need the HOW to the weight transfer issue...as in HOW THE HELL do i initiate and finish and rotate through without hitting a snap-hook. Ill try all the things listed in the thread so far.

I'm not a fan of the drive the legs school of thought. Driving the back leg compromizes balance and often leads to the persons body contorting in a reverse-C finish where the upper body hangs back, and the player ends up with the clubface open, blocks the ball, and ends up in a high finish. The same flaws as Jack Nickalus, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman (in the 80's pre-Butch Harmon), Nick Price (in the 70's pre-Leadbetter), and Nick Faldo (in the early 80's pre-Leadbetter). Modern players tend to focus less on driving body parts and more on rotating them.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

In John Daly's book golf my own d@mn way he says to let your belly lead your hands.

That is assuming you have a belly..

I do..
It gets in the way..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I'm not a fan of the drive the legs school of thought. Driving the back leg compromizes balance and often leads to the persons body contorting in a reverse-C finish where the upper body hangs back, and the player ends up with the clubface open, blocks the ball, and ends up in a high finish. The same flaws as Jack Nickalus, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman (in the 80's pre-Butch Harmon), Nick Price (in the 70's pre-Leadbetter), and Nick Faldo (in the early 80's pre-Leadbetter). Modern players tend to focus less on driving body parts and more on rotating them.

Your right Avid Golfer, spot on. The reverse C is no good. With weight transfer, i tend to focus on a neutral weight distribution at address. On the takeway, I will transfer a little weight to the inside of the left foot(im a lefty), and on the follow thru, I end up with most of my weight distribution being tranfered to the right heel(remember, im a lefty), this way I wont block the shot because the weight transfer to my right heel will help to clear the hips and shoulders.

Sticks

when i started out, i couldn't get any clubs to pass 100 yards.

don't think about how far you "should" be hitting any clubs. this is going to mess you up. i would just take the PW, focus on the fundamentals, and learn to hit straight shots.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Weight shift. You do not have good weight shift so your distances are almost all the same. What works for me is to remember to stay balanced throughout the swing, get a proper shoulder turn and swing through the ball with a proper finish. And as was mentioned in a previous post, there is no proper distance for your clubs. Just get comfortable with your swing, know how far you can hit the ball with each club and get consistant.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I refuse to respond untill you change your avatar.

Just Kidding, I actually had this problem. It just kind of went away with practice. I understand that isn't much help. sorry.

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!