IGNORED

Most appropriate wedge for 20-30 yard shot?

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering, which wedge is most appropriate for 20-30 yard shot, or a shot just outside the green which cant be hit with a putter. I sometimes find it hard to stop the ball to roll from there.

open the face of a 60 and swing very fast you are sure to stick the green

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

open the face of a 60 and swing very fast you are sure to stick the green

this is an extremely risky play unless you are a damn good golfer. Off a tight lie, most guys would scull this over the green. I'd only lob a 60 if i had a bunker in front of me.

this is an extremely risky play unless you are a damn good golfer. Off a tight lie, most guys would scull this over the green. I'd only lob a 60 if i had a bunker in front of me.

i see what you are saying because i did that i a tournament once i caught the ball thin i made a triple bogey

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

i would do an open stance with a 60.

I hated my 60 for so long but over the winter i taught myself to use it and this year i'm dead accurate with it... Im so stoked on it now i sometimes will put myself into a situation where i have to use it if im not playing a serious game.

It depends. If I am just off the green, I may use a 7 or 8 iron for a bump and run, but I usually use my pitching wedge.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

If you are good enough, go for a flop with a 60 degree. However most double digit handicappers will blade this shot across the green, so I would suggest an easy pitch shot with your SW(unless there is excessive bounce, then you should use a gap wedge)

Where's the "any club in your bag option?"

I would be hard pressed to say what wedge is most appropriate since we don't know the area around the green or the green itself (contours, tiered, flat?). I would say whatever club you have the most confidence in getting it as close to the hole as possible.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on how much green you've got. No green, use the lobster, lots of green, 7 iron +. Best to get it on the putting surface as quick as possible, and let her roll.......

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

I think the only time anyone should use a flop shot is if you have little green to work with or if the green is sloped away from you. Just a regular 60 would work fine with no open face. Even a 56 would work, or a 52, or a wedge, heck you can pretty much hit anything from 20-30 yards. Just try different shots with different clubs, and learn to use certain clubs in certain situations. hope this helps!
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I think the only time anyone should use a flop shot is if you have little green to work with or if the green is sloped away from you. Just a regular 60 would work fine with no open face. Even a 56 would work, or a 52, or a wedge, heck you can pretty much hit anything from 20-30 yards. Just try different shots with different clubs, and learn to use certain clubs in certain situations. hope this helps!

Agreed. A flop shot should be your last option. I will only attempt a flop if it's a necessity like if I have to go over a bunker and no green to work with, or something like that. Pros don't use the flop all that much. It's hard to answer though without knowing the exact shot your faced with.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

i use my cleveland cg14 52* wedge and hit it low(er) and let it run up to the hole...

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

It depends. If I am just off the green, I may use a 7 or 8 iron for a bump and run, but I usually use my pitching wedge.

Perfect. I'm not sure if anyone noticed the 34 handicap of the OP, but suggesting flops and spin with a 60* wedge is probably not a shot he has in his bag yet.

Assuming there are no hazards in between you and the hole, take out a 7 iron and fly it at most 1/3 of the way there and let it release towards the hole. The natural trajectory off that club will allow it to roll towards the hole. Just make sure you factor in the slope of the green just like a putt.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

Where's the "any club in your bag option?"

It's unorthodox, but I have seen people use 3 woods from 15 feet off the green to bump and run with. The key is using a club that you are comfortable with. The only clubs I would not suggest are a driver and a putter. Other than that, it's only going to fly a little bit so using something you are completely comfortable with will benefit you a lot more than having "the right" club.

Also, they are bringing back the lofted putters for shots just off the green. You take the same stroke as a putt, hit it a bit harder, and you will have the same effect.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

This is one area i dont feel hypocritcal about giving advice on...because it wont screw up your overall swing. One thing when hitting a short game shot, pitch or chip: DO NOT open your stance. It will bunch your hands on the way back and you will lose feel and athletic abillity. But if you feel you have to open to the target, move your body line and coordinate the amount that you do with the amount that you open the clubface - and then swing down your foot line, not towards your target. Never flange your front foot out. If you aimed the face properly the ball will track towards the target with loft.

for that distance 20-30 you can use anything grom a 7i to a sandy. it depends on what you want the ball to do. For a chip shot i use a 52 gap. for a pitch that would come down a little softer i would use a sandy. Unless you're phil mickelson I would stay away from flop shots until you have mastered a basic pitching technique.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Agreed. I would use a 56 or 52 and chip it in from the fair way. I would use a 56 to get it out of the rough but make sure you check how deep the rough is for the correct speed.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!