IGNORED

Glove under the armpit

Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was reading that if you stick a rolled up glove under your armpit and it falls out on your back swing I am swinging incorrectly. So I am a righty and want to know which arm the glove should be under? Also I am wondering if this will help stop my high trajectory hits and give me a little distance?

If you haven't figured it out I have just started golf about a month ago and would like some feedback. Thanks.

In the Bag:

Driver: Superquad 10.5 w/ grafalloy Prolaunch Blue
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22*(4)
Irons: 200 series 3-pwWedge: Rac Satin 52*Wedge: X-18 SW (56*)Wedge: CG10 Black Pearl 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 1In the other bag:Blackout w/e2Jt Flex-7Reloader-BPMI Pure Energy 68/5000

I'm a righty aswell and I put the glove under my left and right armpit (at different times). I put it under my left armpit to make sure my left arm stays close to my body in my backswing and downswing, but it falls out in my followthrough. When I put it in my right armpit, I wanna make sure I keep my right arm/elbow close to my side in my back and downswing and the glove should never fallout when its in your right armpit. I also read about a headcover (I guess you could use a glove too) trick in Golf Digest and it said to put the headcover in your right armpit and it should fall out at the top of you backswing for more power, I couldn't quiet do this the short time I tried it, just felt weird. They said it improved distance. Someone alot more knowledgable will chime in I'm sure and tell you If I'm on the right track.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm sure someone else will chime in too.

In the Bag:

Irons: 200 series 3-pwWedge: Rac Satin 52*Wedge: X-18 SW (56*)Wedge: CG10 Black Pearl 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 1In the other bag:Blackout w/e2Jt Flex-7Reloader-BPMI Pure Energy 68/5000

You can also put a towel across your chest and under both armpits while you are making 1/2 to 3/4 swings. This drill helps you feel connected and allows you to swing with your body. David Ledbetter used to sell a contraption (Swing Link) with straps that gave you the same feeling, but the towel works just fine.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Well, it depends on what kind of swing you wish to have. If you want a more body driven rotary/one plane swing then a glove under the left armpit is a great way to create connection.

If you want to swing more like a two planer with higher hands then it's a useless drill.

So I was reading that if you stick a rolled up glove under your armpit and it falls out on your back swing I am swinging incorrectly. So I am a righty and want to know which arm the glove should be under? Also I am wondering if this will help stop my high trajectory hits and give me a little distance?

Like Trevor07Silvy said you can use it under either arm. Usually under the left armpit (for right handed golfers) is the most beneficial. Its goal is to get you to move your arm, shoulder, and chest in sync. If the upper left arm seperates from the chest you could end up swinging into a number of positions that will sap power and make it complicated to swing down in the same way consistantly.

If the left arm seperates and rises in the backswing the swing becomes steeper, and then the club is likely to approach from a steep position on the downswing. Approaching from a steep angle causes you to hit downward on the ball. Hitting downward produces increased backspin. Increased backspin elevates the ball higher, and can make a ball fly (travel) shorter. Therefore in answer to your question it could help you hit lower and longer shots.
When I put it in my right armpit, I wanna make sure I keep my right arm/elbow close to my side in my back and downswing and the glove should never fallout when its in your right armpit. I also read about a headcover (I guess you could use a glove too) trick in Golf Digest and it said to put the headcover in your right armpit and it should fall out at the top of you backswing for more power, I couldn't quiet do this the short time I tried it, just felt weird. They said it improved distance. Someone alot more knowledgable will chime in I'm sure and tell you If I'm on the right track.

Yes, the glove under the right arm is good at keeping the right arm and elbow from travelling too far away from the body. The less it travels away from the body the less distance it has to travel in the downswing. Having the glove or headcover drop out (allowing the right arm to seperate) will not guarantee more power, and can lead to power loss depending on how and where you swing from there. Greg Norman, Steve Elkington, Stuart Appleby, Trevor Immelman, Vijay Singh, Nick Faldo, and Annika Sorenstam all keep their right arms compact at the top of the backswing and their not short hitters by any stretch. (Even though Faldo has always considered himself a short hitter there are many tour pros who are/were much shorter hitters).

You can also put a towel across your chest and under both armpits while you are making 1/2 to 3/4 swings. This drill helps you feel connected and allows you to swing with your body. David Ledbetter used to sell a contraption (Swing Link) with straps that gave you the same feeling, but the towel works just fine.

Like TourSpoon said a towel is a good method too and has been advocated by players like Faldo, Singh, and Sorenstam.

Well, it depends on what kind of swing you wish to have. If you want a more body driven rotary/one plane swing then a glove under the left armpit is a great way to create connection.

You can keep the left arm and chest connected and still get in a two-plane top of swing position. (Just look at Goosen or Couples).

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/f..._sequence.html

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot avid golfer. I will have to try some of those tipse.

In the Bag:

I agree with Tour Spoon.

The aim of practicing with a towel under BOTH arms is to keep your upper arms connected to the body during the swing. Keeping your upper arms connected to the body has many benefits: 1. Your golf swing stays on plane during the backswing and downswing. 2. You eliminate the dreaded "casting" or "over the top" move during the downswing which is the cause of most golfers' slice. 3. Your high trajectory should come down to a more boring ball flight because you will be attacking the ball from the inside...a real power move! Good luck cockergod and hit 'em long and straight! --John

I agree with Tour Spoon.

Great follow-up. There is a lot of bang for the buck with this drill.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks again everyone for helping. Like I said I just started but if I get serious enough to buy equipment I usually want to get good.

In the Bag:

I just don't agree. For practicing shorter swings, like a pitch shot using a towel under both arms is a good way to improve connection. For full swings, a glove under the left arm is very effective as well. You have to have some "lift" in your full swing backswing, whether it's Jim Hardy style or a more conventional style. That comes from lifting the trail arm (right arm for righties). The left can easily lay across the chest and stay connected with either style. Look at Vijay Singh. He practices with a glove every day under his left arm, yet he doesn't have a Hardy style swing.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!