IGNORED

Most Overrated PGA Players?

gogolfing
Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil mickelson he is noat all that good he is so in consisten he will win a tournament one week than miss the cut another

i see what your saying about his inconsistency, but he is the No. 2 golfer in the world. i dont think he's overrated, the guy can play some outstanding golf which has gotten him many pga tour wins and some majors. He does have his times where he doesn't look like the No. 2 in the world though. he's just in tigers shadow just like everyone else

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the PGA this season, who do you think is (are) the most overrated golfer(s) on tour?

I agree that Chris Dimarco is overrated.

Bubba Watson is overrated as a mid tier guy.

I agree that Bubba Watson is overrated. His name reminds me of another player I think is overrated: Boo Weekly

tiger woods...

I do think Woods is overrated. Every time he hits a shot some announcer babbles like an idiot and says stupid things like "that is the greatest shot ever" or "no one else can do that", which is clearly false. When he hits a drive the announcers act like it is the longest drive ever (when lots of other players hit it farther). There are more than 30 players ranked longer than him in driving distance this year, and I expect that to increase as the year goes on.

If he ran off to an Andy Gump during the round and an announcer got wind of it I wouldn't surprise me to hear them say that they went into the Andy Gump afterwards and that they think his waste product smells good. Every time an announcer opens his mouth to make a comment to praise Woods (to quote milelz)
That comment is total bull$#it.

Most boring, Jim Furyk.

I agree that Jim Furyk is boring, and I also think he is overrated as a putter.

Look at Todd Hamilton and Ben Crane- they have both won the British Open but i would never regard either as 'world class'..same goes for Rich Beem

I agree I don't consider Todd Hamilton, Ben Crane, or Rich Beem 'world class' players either.

I think that John Daly, Bubba Watson, and J.B. Holmes are over-hyped because they drive the ball long distances. It takes more than long drives to be a good golfer (but some people don't realize that). On the subject of being overrated and over-hyped I think that when ever any player grabs the lead in a tournament (even for a minute) the announcers start over-hyping them acting like the player is the greatest person to ever live. The over-hyping leads to the player becoming overrated. and now my list of players in this weeks Zurich Classic of New Orleans that I think are overrated as golfers in general : Woody Austin Kenny Perry Todd Hamilton Mark Calcavecchia Stewart Cink Rich Beem Bubba Watson Jason Gore Chad Campbell Jim Furyk John Daly Chris DiMarco

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Tiger Woods is definitely not overrated, we, meaning all of us on this forum will never see another golfer like this in our lifetime. Be appreciative that you are seeing this while you can, and dont blame him for what announcers say about him, he cannot control that. I cant even believe that someone would say that he is overrated. What more does the guy have to do to make you believe that he will be the greatest golfer ever to play this game.

Does that sound like overrated being the greatest ever to play the game? Doesnt to me.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

We are now back to the thorny issue of the value of winning a major- what differentiates it from a normal tournament..its still only four rounds but there is more hype surrounding the event..thats all.

I respectfully disagree.

First of all, the elite players from all over the world participate at a major event, so the competition is much stronger and the rewards are richer. Media coverage is more intense, adding additional pressure on the players. The difficulty of the courses are wrung up a notch or two from the average tournament with faster greens, thicker rough and fringe grass, longer lengths, and more difficult hole positions. Average major scores are well below the norm with most all players struggling to score birdies and an overall score below par.

I don't anyone here can or will beat Sergio Garcia. Most Overrated in a long time.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I think this is a tough subject simply because the game of golf is so unpredictable and no pro can go without a slump every once in a while, whether a long slump or a short one. So I think at one point or another, all golfers will seem overrated, but when they win, it will show their true skills, which aren;t always portrayed on the course in front of the cameras.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I don't anyone here can or will beat Sergio Garcia. Most Overrated in a long time.

Totally agree

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

when i said tiger woods i said 'lol jk'. meaning laughing im only 'just kidding'

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

The only other guys I can think of with similar accomplishments would be Els and Singh. Neither of them is ranked #2 and aren't playing their best. IMHO, Phil gets the most press because he is #2 and a pro golf needs a rivalry. Oh, the golf press also needs a lead story when Tiger doesn't enter. Oh, Phil is (IMHO) a crowd favorite.

Phil is my favorite golfer. I do not myself believe he is overrated, I only meant I could see how some could think that. Even at that I said

he could be considered slightly...
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

when i said tiger woods i said 'lol jk'. meaning laughing im only 'just kidding'

Not you, AvidGolfer said he was overrated, I saw that when you said JK. To answer the question my vote goes to Sergio all the way.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Phil is my favorite golfer. I do not myself believe he is overrated, I only meant I could see how some could think that. Even at that I said

I will always like Phil. I have a VHS of his first tour victory - he played as an amateur and beat Tom Purtzer down the stretch. It was the same then as it is now. He was making birdies out of really weird desert places that his driver seemed to like.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I will always like Phil. I have a VHS of his first tour victory - he played as an amateur and beat Tom Purtzer down the stretch. It was the same then as it is now. He was making birdies out of really weird desert places that his driver seemed to like.

I love watching those crazy up and downs he's so famous for, but when he's got his driver and putter working at the same time, he's a force.

Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Justin Rose. At some point for people to be high in the world rankings they should have to win. Vijay is like 10 and he actually wins tournaments. Then you have Rose who couldn't close a tourney on American soil if his life depended on it and he is 6th. Furyks always in the top but never wins. He is like 4th or 5th. That bothers me. Even my man Els is third and he has won 1 in the last 4 years on the PGA tour.

For me, it's Sergio and Retief

Retief has won 2 U.S. Opens. That doesn't happen by fluke or accident. If he keeps putting like he did last week I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Masters.

Sergio is overhyped as a player but he didnt choose for that to happen- its hard to say that he is overrated though...look at his world ranking.

Jose Maria Olazabal is an underrated player. Some of the least able players need to have courted publicity for their own benefit but they aren't that good- JD (anymore).... Rory Sabbatini etc...Ian Poulter (is a good case study).

Justin Rose. At some point for people to be high in the world rankings they should have to win.

I agree with this one. He has been there after 3 rounds numerous times but seems to fold like a cheap tent on Sundays.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!