IGNORED

Most Overrated PGA Players?

gogolfing
Note: This thread is 5882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys play to such a high standard that whenever they're off or slump, it becomes a story. I read how Boo Weekly is overrated, yet Boo has played in 10 tournaments, this year. He's made 8 cuts and had 6 Top 25 Finishes. Last year, he made 20 of 29 cuts and finished in the Top 25, 9 times, including three finishes in the Top 3 and 1 win. How is a guy with those credentials, overrated?

Like I said, I don't think they're overrated. It's just an aspect of their game that they struggle with. Sergio and his putter, Vijay and Mike Weir with swing changes, etc.

The one guy that does not get enough props though is K.J. Choi. He just keeps on getting better and better. I guess he's not "glamorous" enough or have enough of the "honies" in his gallery.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

over rated: Sergio Garcia, Luke Donald
Under rated: J.B. Holmes definitely - people are going to be hearing a lot from him in the next few months, he is astounding, Aaron Baddeley - very good player, don't hear about him much.

The one guy that does not get enough props though is K.J. Choi. He just keeps on getting better and better. I guess he's not "glamorous" enough or have enough of the "honies" in his gallery.

I agree with this. Choi is solid, not flashy. I remember in Golf Digest a few years back they polled PGA caddies anonymously and asked a bunch of 'insider' type questions. One of them was who is the worst guy on tour to loop for, and K.J. was at the top of the list. It was implied that he was quick to blame the caddie for bad shots. Over the last couple of years, I haven't seen a bad attitude with him. I wouldn't mind packing his clubs for 10%

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I would say JJ Henry..I hardly ever hear his name at the top of leaderboards-but always see the announcers talking about him

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Administrator
Phil Mickelson is overrated as a player. Underrated =Colin Montgomerie.

Bah. Monty's never even won an event in the U.S. So what if he won a bunch of titles in Europe while most of his competition was playing and competing in the U.S.?

Monty is over-rated. I don't think he's HOF material.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Monty is a world class player..look at who he was (and sometimes still is) beating in his hayday

Nick Faldo (wasnt this fellow world number 1?)
Jose Maria Olazabal
Seve Ballesteros ( before he lost the plot mentally and golfing)
Bernhard Langer
Sandy Lyle
Sam Torrance
Lee Westwood
Ian Woosnam, Lee Westwood, Thomas Bjorn
Darren Clarke
Angel Cabrera..and so on

I would say that Monty is Hall of Fame material certainly, but then again i am still chokoing on those Pro v1s (!).

I dont think Monty is overrated---he finished 2nd place in the US OPEN in 1994,1997, 2006--2nd in The british in 2005 and 2nd at the 95 PGA championship---he can play in the US as evidenced by his US Open success--he just chooses not to---also--8 Order of Merit Titles is a feat in itself--i dont know a lot of PGA Tour Players besides Tiger Phil or Vijay that could accomplish that

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

If you make it to the PGA Tour, you are one of the best golfers in the world. Out of those who make it to the tour, only a handfull can be called exceptional. Tiger, Nicklaus, Hogan, Palmer, Snead in my lifetime. Multiple Majors and 50 plus wins. The guys that just win one Major are just lucky. They are no different than all the other "Journeyman" Pros. I would not call them overrated however. Any one of them can "Clean Our Clocks".

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Overrated in the sense of press coverage....Phil, Sergio, Zach Johnson

Seems like everytime they mention how Phil's swing has improved, and the weight loss he is nowhere to be found. If he's #2 I expect him to be there in the hunt on Sundays.

Just my opinion......

I don't anyone here can or will beat Sergio Garcia. Most Overrated in a long time.

I see your Sergio Garcia and raise you one Rory Sabbatini. I remember after he won his first tournament. Then he started getting more air-time. PUKE.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Overrated, Tiger Woods. He is expected to win every tournament and as he showed last week even he is mortal. The press is in a mindset its Tiger against whoever may be leading and the leader has no chance. Hopefully, the press ease up on Tiger, He is great and he can win without their help.

Overrated, Tiger Woods. He is expected to win every tournament and as he showed last week even he is mortal. The press is in a mindset its Tiger against whoever may be leading and the leader has no chance. Hopefully, the press ease up on Tiger, He is great and he can win without their help.

That is like calling Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice or Wayne Gretzky overrated. It's hard to call someone overrated when you can make the argument that they are the greatest ever at what they do. If you want to say over exposed or over covered, maybe. But overrated no way. This guy is expected to win every time out and does so at a higher percentage than anyone ever.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Bubba Watson--i love the guy--but hes overrated due to his distance--same can go for Camilo Villegas

Bubba Watson--i love the guy--but hes overrated due to his distance--same can go for Camilo Villegas

I have to disagree with Bubba....he is self taught, and can/does hit some amazing shots...his downfall to me is that he is a little to fancy.

He needs to stop trying to work every shot. Did you see the shots he made when he was on the show with Roger Clemens, John Elway, etc. They say Tiger loves playing with him during practice rounds due to his shot making ability.

I have to disagree with Bubba....he is self taught, and can/does hit some amazing shots...his downfall to me is that he is a little to fancy.

Yea he plays a 20 yard fade--says Johnny Miller

Miller is a tool sometimes.....

LOL that's too funny(and somewhat true)

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Note: This thread is 5882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!