IGNORED

My Swing (Sinik)

sinik
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years
My current handicap index or average score is: mid-90's
My typical ball flight is: cut (and ball flight is higher than I'd like)
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: a pull / slice

Hi all! Have lurked these forums for a long time and thrilled to have finally just joined.

Been really working on my swing a lot lately (was weekend hack for the most part before) and have been feeling good progress (shot a personal best 89 the other day on a tricky course from 6,500 yards [71.7 / 134] that I nearly threw away with 2 triples in the last 4 holes). These are some of the main things I'm working through:

• More stable wrists at the top that aren't cupped, so I don't come across the line at the top (more common with my driver)
  • Slightly more knee bend so that my right knee doesn't lock at the top and force my head forward too much during backswing
  • Keeping my right foot down more into impact rather than coming up too early and contributing to early extension / loss of power
  • Better follow through - that damn chicken wing!
  • Tempo. Tempo. Tempo. Don't rush and get quick, trust the club to do the work.

But the one thing that I can't figure out how to drill (and should help more bullets 3 and 4) is: getting my right elbow moving down/in in transition to start the downswing. I welcome any feedback really, but I'm really interested in drilling that feel and working that into my swing so that I can shallow the club better and lead to more control (prioritizing that over distance right now). I think not moving the trail arm properly is leading to dumping my angles early, often, and leading to a higher and shorter ball flight than I could have.

Thanks very much in advance!

Videos: 

Driver DTL (wind pushed camera so club face goes out of frame on way to the top)

4 iron DTL

Edited by sinik

Hands get no height from A2 to A4. Your hands, and right elbow gets stuck behind you. You have no room for your hands to get down in front of you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just now, saevel25 said:

Hands get no height from A2 to A4. Your hands, and right elbow gets stuck behind you. You have no room for your hands to get down in front of you. 

I concur.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks fellas - what do you mean by no height? Relative to the shoulder plane at the top? Should my hands be closer to lining up vertically with my trail shoulder than being behind (to the left from DTL) of it?

What's the feeling to force that? Push elbows together during takeaway?

Would you say that fixing this would make it easier to move the right elbow properly and that (maybe?) the chicken wing follow through is a result of the move I'm making after A2?

• Administrator

See Day 3 in the COVID practice plan for a bit of a start on this:

See also these two topics:

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sinik,

Your problem is very simple . One that most players always make until they understand why . 
   At 0.02 you have formed your lever system in a very good athletic position . At about 0.03 your powerful shoulders have begun their rotation and pushed directly out toward the ball / target line . The hands no arms of the average human weigh approx. 28 lbs and t hey lost the battle . They had NO choice but to go out with their more powerful body parts. It is a must to drop your DOMINANT HANDS DOWN and BACK before that powerful Scapula bone goes out . Otherwise , you will never be able to pull the clubface down from inside and attack the ball from an in to out path . 
    Your DOMINANT RIGHT HAND aid responsible for making that happen . It has to CONTROL that task . 
      If you closely  observe the great players you will immediately notice them doing just that . 
Good luck 

• Booooooooo 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

At 0.02 you have formed your lever system in a very good athletic position.

Uhm, no.

01.jpg

8 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

The hands no arms of the average human weigh approx. 28 lbs and t hey lost the battle . They had NO choice but to go out with their more powerful body parts. It is a must to drop your DOMINANT HANDS DOWN and BACK before that powerful Scapula bone goes out.

Oh my, no.

9 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

Your DOMINANT RIGHT HAND aid responsible for making that happen . It has to CONTROL that task . 
      If you closely  observe the great players you will immediately notice them doing just that . 
Good luck 

@Lane Holt, this right here is a great example of how poor a job you actually do of helping people here.

Were @sinik to do as you suggested, he may very well be worse (and worse off) at golf. The issue is not what he has to do from the top of the swing down, but rather, how he gets to the top of the backswing. By making his hands and arms do as you suggest, he'll be even MORE adducted, more stuck, more "right elbow around/behind" himself, etc.

No. To all that you said, no.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhm, no.

01.jpg

Oh my, no.

@Lane Holt, this right here is a great example of how poor a job you actually do of helping people here.

Were @sinik to do as you suggested, he may very well be worse (and worse off) at golf. The issue is not what he has to do from the top of the swing down, but rather, how he gets to the top of the backswing. By making his hands and arms do as you suggest, he'll be even MORE adducted, more stuck, more "right elbow around/behind" himself, etc.

No. To all that you said, no.

Thanks for jumping in!

I guess this is a common question, but the obvious benefits of fixing my bad move on the way up to consistency aside (and probably accuracy), is it ultimately compromising a lot of distance as well? 

Edited by sinik

2 minutes ago, sinik said:

Thanks for jumping in!

I guess this is a common question, but the obvious benefits of fixing my bad move on the way up to consistency aside (and probably accuracy), is it ultimately compromising a lot of distance as well? 

If you can give us a face on view, that will help. Do the drill @iacas suggested and post video of that drill. To answer your question, possibly, but fixing this first piece will help correct other sequence issues. Also, please ignore Lane Holt. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

If you can give us a face on view, that will help. Do the drill @iacas suggested and post video of that drill. To answer your question, possibly, but fixing this first piece will help correct other sequence issues. Also, please ignore Lane Holt. 

Cheers - will try to get a FO view of normal swings as well (the feeling of being stuck and the resultant chicken wing is more pronounced there, for sure). Can just be a bit tough at the range I typically frequent.

Appreciate all the feedback!

• Administrator

I’m going to do more to make a “production” level version of this video, with some talking and stuff, but this will give you some idea in concert with the links I posted above:

• Informative 2

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’m going to do more to make a “production” level version of this video, with some talking and stuff, but this will give you some idea in concert with the links I posted above:

Honestly this is just incredible content. Very much appreciated! Seeing it both ways (starting with height and starting with depth) is illuminating.

So it seems like when I'm filming myself at the range later on doing full shots after I've worked on these drills, that a good check-point is being able to draw a straight line, at the top, roughly from my hands down through my trail shoulder and into the middle of my trail foot?

35 minutes ago, sinik said:

Honestly this is just incredible content. Very much appreciated! Seeing it both ways (starting with height and starting with depth) is illuminating.

So it seems like when I'm filming myself at the range later on doing full shots after I've worked on these drills, that a good check-point is being able to draw a straight line, at the top, roughly from my hands down through my trail shoulder and into the middle of my trail foot?

I think the face on view will help. We need to see how much your torso turns with respect to your arms. Different players hands will look higher/lower depending on how much their torso turns. My hands look lower than some others because I don’t have as much torso/shoulder turn.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think the face on view will help. We need to see how much your torso turns with respect to your arms. Different players hands will look higher/lower depending on how much their torso turns. My hands look lower than some others because I don’t have as much torso/shoulder turn.

This video is a few months old and not great quality, started going to the range far more since then so my swing has become a little more controlled and connected. I've had to kinda battle turning my shoulders far more than 90 degrees for a while now.

32 minutes ago, sinik said:

This video is a few months old and not great quality, started going to the range far more since then so my swing has become a little more controlled and connected. I've had to kinda battle turning my shoulders far more than 90 degrees for a while now.

It’s hard to tell with full speed video, but Erik suggested that Day 3 drill will help and he really knows his stuff. You may be letting your right arm collapse a bit and over swinging. I don’t want to load you down with too much info, but this thread below is very similar and explains it well.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

It’s hard to tell with full speed video, but Erik suggested that Day 3 drill will help and he really knows his stuff. You may be letting your right arm collapse a bit and over swinging. I don’t want to load you down with too much info, but this thread below is very similar and explains it well.

Thanks! Another thing I neglected to point out is that that face on swing with the driver was with an old 60g shaft. I found it was too light for me to have feel for where it was in the backswing and contributed to going too far past parallel. Upgraded it to a 76g HZRDUS Yellow (the shaft in the DTL clip in the original post) and have MUCH better feel for that.

(edited)

Hi @iacas, I was having a little trouble with the proper positions from your drill (I think the main issue is I need a full body mirror to self-check), but these drills below really spoke to me.  How do you feel about what they're showing here?

(ignore the preview image, the video is about the backswing and the trail arm, specifically)

Edited by sinik
clarification

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!