IGNORED

Upper Michigan Golf Trip

Codgod
Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Planning a golf outing with my wife end of August first of Sept looking for info as to courses best way to find deals and info on local mixed tournaments in the area traveling from eastern Canada. Thanks in advance for any input

By Upper Michigan do you mean the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or the northern Lower Peninsula? The U.P. has few courses but 3 that stand out.  An itinerary of Lower Peninsula courses depends on how much you want to travel, budget, and other activities desired. If you can narrow it down I can help; for now you can start with the following link.

https://www.michigan.org/golfing#?c=44.4299:-85.1166:6&tid=89&page=0&pagesize=20&pagetitle=Golfing

You might consider Garland Golf Resort, in Lewiston, MI.  4 nice courses and nice lodging/dining.  Lewiston Lodge is nearby with great food.  We typically get deals through the Michigan Golf Show (no longer available this year) or Group Golfer (hit or miss if you find one).  This has become an annual trip for my wife & I.  Last year and this my sister & brother-in-law joined us and they are eagerly going with us again at the end of June.

Treetops (Gaylord, MI) has 4 nice 18-hole courses and a 9-hole Par-3 course (LOVE IT) but I've always felt the rooms/dining were a little sub-par.  There are many restaurants in Gaylord, MI which offer variety.  Again, Michigan Golf Show or Group Golfer for discounts.

Boyne is nice, only been there once for a wedding event but the course I played was good (they have more courses).

I've never golfed in the UP so can't offer anything up there.

Most golf resorts have reasonable availability over the Labor Day Holiday (Sept. 6th) because typically many people do the "Family Thing" and the resorts are not always booked solid.  With the explosion in golf this past year and some reluctance to travel via air the availability may not be as good this year (Only time will tell).  You do need to consider traffic if going over the Labor day holiday as it will be nasty!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another question is budget and family activities. I will assume no budget and do some family stuff, and also assume you are departing via the Soo.  in Marquette, Greywalls is a must for any golfer. I would just play it twice although there is a classic William Langford course adjacent.  You could also run down to Iron Mountain and play Timberstone, or hit Sweetgrass in Bark River near Escanaba. Depending which Boyne your meetings will take place you have many good Boyne courses nearby. I would suggest a road trip to Kingsley Club near Traverse City (number 1 IMO, but as a member I may be biased). TC has a nice state park beach for swimming and other non-golf activities including wine tasting, are many courses near to fit any budget. Stu already mentioned Treetops (agree) and Garland (agree if you want isolation or the Up North feel). More to follow when we know bugdet and other activities. 

Since you'll more than likely head up I-75, check out the Dream and The Nightmare near West Branch.  

Along your route:  Near Port Huron, Solitude Lakes is a decent track.   In Davison, Sugarbush is worth playing.   A little diversion but Red Hawk in East Tawas is good.  

What is your time frame, how much golf do you intent to play?    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I forgot to mention Belvedere Golf Club in Charlevoix. It is a William Watson (Olympic, Harding Park, Interlachen et al) private course but open to non-members. There are some restrictions so check online. I recall they had a twilight walking rate of about $65. 

Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!