IGNORED

My 2021 Pinehurst Trip

phedrick
Note: This thread is 909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting excited. In 83 days we leave for our 'golf buddies' trip to Pinehurst, NC. This year we are playing Talamore Golf Club, Longleaf Golf & Country Club, Hyland Golf Club, and Tobacco Road. I am sure we will play Pinehurst 3 or 4 as well.

• Like 1
  • :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My 2021 Pinehurst Trip
2 hours ago, phedrick said:

Getting excited. In 83 days we leave for our 'golf buddies' trip to Pinehurst, NC. This year we are playing Talamore Golf Club, Longleaf Golf & Country Club, Hyland Golf Club, and Tobacco Road. I am sure we will play Pinehurst 3 or 4 as well.

Sounds like you've been there before, but if you need food and or beverage recommendations, let me know.  Have a great time!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 4 months later...

How was the trip @phedrick? I’m enroute right now, taking a long drive from western NY to Melbourne FL. Will be playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and whatever I can get on to at Pinehurst as a single. Today is my five-days-out booking window so I’ll be calling soon. Also trying to get on the Cradle with my wife in the mid afternoon before we depart and drive to Myrtle Beach.

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

27 minutes ago, Chris Brooks said:

How was the trip @phedrick? I’m enroute right now, taking a long drive from western NY to Melbourne FL. Will be playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and whatever I can get on to at Pinehurst as a single. Today is my five-days-out booking window so I’ll be calling soon. Also trying to get on the Cradle with my wife in the mid afternoon before we depart and drive to Myrtle Beach.

Consider Southern Pines if you can. They have re-done it. @iacashas a write here somewhere. I played years ago and am jonesing to get back there. I hear an absolute gem and value. @DaveP043, might have a more recent update/thoughts on it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Southern Pines is highly recommended.

Though I think everyone should see Tobacco Road once, it's not everyone's cup of tea (I'm relatively ambivalent on it after the first play, but it's in incredible condition right now). I'd put a few courses in the area above it, though:

• Southern Pines
  • Mid Pines
  • Pine Needles
  • Dormie Club if you can get on
  • Longleaf might be good (I've heard it's gotten some nice renovations).

There's also a "Whispering Woods" in Whispering Pines, NC, so you could tick off the "Whispering Woods Double" if you play that within a month of playing the one here in Erie, PA. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Consider Southern Pines if you can. They have re-done it. @iacashas a write here somewhere. I played years ago and am jonesing to get back there. I hear an absolute gem and value. @DaveP043, might have a more recent update/thoughts on it.  

About Southern Pines, I've only heard the rumors and feedback on golf websites, including @iacas comments here, and they're all pretty good.  I'll be down there for two weeks in November, and its already on my list.  I'm interested that Erik suggests Longleaf, I've played there just once and wasn't real impressed by the layout.  I did hear about their renovation, maybe its time to give it another shot.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm interested that Erik suggests Longleaf, I've played there just once and wasn't real impressed by the layout.  I did hear about their renovation, maybe its time to give it another shot.

My daughter just played Longleaf and TR, and she liked them both. I've heard from a few others that the renovation made a big difference.

I played it last about ten years ago, and I wasn't blown away then, like Dave has implied. So my "recommendation" of LL is second-hand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok just booked 18 single for Southern Pines on Oct 25! So I’m playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and Southern Pines. 

I probably wouldn’t prioritize Talamore but they let me camp there in my van the night before my round. 🚐

thanks for the advice 

• Like 1

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

8 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

How was the trip @phedrick? I’m enroute right now, taking a long drive from western NY to Melbourne FL. Will be playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and whatever I can get on to at Pinehurst as a single. Today is my five-days-out booking window so I’ll be calling soon. Also trying to get et on the Cradle with my wife in the mid afternoon before we depart and drive to Myrtle Beach.

It was great, thank you.  Tobacco Road was a real ass kicker for me!   LOL.  I do like Talamore, a lot.  Keep your eyes open between 12 and 13, I think, for the paddock that holds the lamas!  The Cradle was much more difficult than I had anticipated.  Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Note: This thread is 909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!