IGNORED

Proxy Question

cdjdmd
Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf league question.  Par 4, closest to the pin on the second shot proxy.  We usually have 2 proxy's each week.  This one was closest to the pin second shot on a short par 4 (approx. 320yds.).  We had a hole in one!  Does this person win the proxy with a hole in one?  Clearly he didn't need a second shot.  The debate has started.  What's the rule?  What's the proper thing to do?  

17 minutes ago, cdjdmd said:

Golf league question.  Par 4, closest to the pin on the second shot proxy.  We usually have 2 proxy's each week.  This one was closest to the pin second shot on a short par 4 (approx. 320yds.).  We had a hole in one!  Does this person win the proxy with a hole in one?  Clearly he didn't need a second shot.  The debate has started.  What's the rule?  What's the proper thing to do?  

First, welcome to the Sand Trap!  :beer:

Second, in my mind, of course an ace on a par-4 wins!!  Now if you get someone who pitches in for 2 I can see a discussion, he's just as close, but in a case of a tie, the win should go to the guy who did it in fewer shots.  I don't know what a proxy is worth in your group, but he can use it to payoff some of the drinks tab for the ace.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say the Ace wins.  Hard to deny them the prize to give it to someone who need 2-3 shots.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

In my view, yes.  Whenever you do closest to the pin in multiple shots, someone who holes out prior to (or even at the number indicated) wins.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The ace wins, but really they lose when you consider the cost of drinks compared to the small amount won for closest in two!

2 hours ago, cdjdmd said:

The debate has started.  What's the rule?  What's the proper thing to do?  

This argument is like saying that someone who wins the first two games in a best of three competition hasn't won because there were two rounds and not three.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!