IGNORED

My Swing (Beyondtherough)

Beyondtherough
Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for:  1.5 year

My current handicap index or average score is: N/A average 105 
My typical ball flight is: straight then hard right. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: inconsistent swings. 

I have had no lessons mostly self-taught, or watching youtube (so confusing though). 

I have realized I have flexibility and balance issues that could be a major contributor to my inconsistencies. 

So my journey will begin with incorporating the “Fix your body, Fix your swing.” Book. Which the workouts start tomorrow. August 9, 2021. 

I will post some swing videos soon as well. 

2 hours ago, Beyondtherough said:

inconsistent swings. 

When I first started playing golf, my first lesson was very basic.
Grip, Posture, Swing Path. My instructor had me only hit the PW for a month,
basically to control ball flight and hit shots at the target.

I practiced hours upon hours.
Next session was with the 9 and 8 irons.
I progressed quickly and continued with sessions progressing to 7 and 6
Then 5 and 4, then fairway woods and finally the driver.

Also, I practiced pitching and putting practice as I progressed. 
My first round was played 6 months later that summer, a Par 3 course.
I finally played an 18 hole course which began my golf journey. 
Through the years, I still relate to the basics when I have poor swing days
and I'll spend extra time practicing again even to this day 45 years later.

Lessons will help eliminate creating bad swing habits when learning the game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

3wood off the tee…Was 93 with a heat index of 110….south ga summers…lol

and 

(I think I followed the direction for embedding…idk)

Irons where ever I ended up on the course…again 110 heat index….

and 

(again don’t know if I’m embedding this correctly) 

Edited by iacas
embedded videos

Not keeping my forward arm straight in the back swing? To much backswing?. And definitely keeping my forward elbow tucked in through impact and follow through?  Just my own self evaluation after watching them. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Beyondtherough said:

(I think I followed the direction for embedding…idk)

Nope:

image.png

🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik made the corrections and now your videos are being played.
A few quick observations, you are casting the club from the top, flipping before impact, 
weight transfer is null to your left side.
This leads to the shots being pulled left.
There are many good instructional threads about these common issues on the site.
I'll tagged a few and post them. @boogielicious knows where many of them are,
maybe Scott will assist with locating a few.

For just starting out, you have many good traits to develop a good swing.  
You are making a good aggressive move during your swing,  

I’d work the backswing. Head starts moving to your right, from the start and body leans. Chest over rotates and reverse pivots. 

I’d have you work in more chest turn between A1&2 which will reduce hip lean and keep you more centered. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

This positions here will make it hard to get through the ball, and weight shift forward. In the image below, if your hands were outside your right foot, your left arm a bit straighter, and the club is not at parallel you would have more room to get your hands down in front of you better. 

image.png

You swing over the top because your right elbow is stuck way behind you. You have to send it out to make contact. You have no room to swing out at the ball from here. Maybe someone else can comment on this, but maybe too much right leg extension. It looks a bit to straight. 

image.png

There are some good videos on the COVID-19 30-DAY practice plan. You might want to do some of the flow work ones. There are some videos on the backswing to. They are some good starting points. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thank you all, I didn’t realize how far back I was rotating and definitely see no transfer of weight to the front. Lots to prioritize. Got to find where the correct feeling at the top is at. And will look at the suggestions for the practice plans for the flow work. 

Yesterday worked on finding the top of my swing. Keeping my left arm straighter and my right elbow slightly in front on my right shoulder while bent to prevent over swinging. “Feels” like a half swing to me...but video shows a full swing with hands outside my right foot. Weight shift to the front foot was better in transition. Saw my slice come back…felt my wrists not stay in position through impact.
Started a golf specific exercise and flexibility routine to help imbalances and stability. 

Today is my usual tee time with my dad. On course I will focus on enjoying the round with my dad and not getting in my own head. It’s just a game at the end of the day. 

5 hours ago, Beyondtherough said:

Yesterday worked on finding the top of my swing. Keeping my left arm straighter and my right elbow slightly in front on my right shoulder while bent to prevent over swinging. “Feels” like a half swing to me...but video shows a full swing with hands outside my right foot. Weight shift to the front foot was better in transition. Saw my slice come back…felt my wrists not stay in position through impact.
Started a golf specific exercise and flexibility routine to help imbalances and stability. 

Today is my usual tee time with my dad. On course I will focus on enjoying the round with my dad and not getting in my own head. It’s just a game at the end of the day. 

Post your drill work here if you can.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I took a lot of BIG divots on the course Tuesday,  felt like i was digging into the ground. Obviously trying to change my swing the night before and day of playing a round will equal a lot of problems.... Timing and rhythm was not there for the most part. Not very smooth. But, expected issue.

But while I was having a hard time adjusting I also hit some good shots. Almost made it to the green on a 177yard par 3 that I have never hit GIR on. maybe 2-4 yards short . And hit a GIR from 150 yards out. that carried over a small ditch and sand bunker. Also pared back to back holes (rare for me). And ended the round at 106. Only 1 stroke above my avg. 

Yesterday in the back yard worked on swing with 8 Iron.

I Noticed my left foot movement, can't seem to shift weight without that heal coming off the ground then rotating a bit, but looks like the front stays in place. Can this cause issues? 

1 hour ago, Beyondtherough said:

Noticed my left foot movement,

For starters, try a slight change of your stance by flaring both feet outward slightly.
A couple of drills you could try would be -
1. A slow motion swing with lifting the left foot off the ground slightly during take-away,
then set the foot down firmly on the ground and make weight transfer to left foot. 

2. The Gary Player walk through drill - force your body to step around after contact.
Try slow motion swing without hitting a ball.
Then try it also actually hitting shots.

The end result is to finish the swing with your weight mainly on your left foot and
body facing your target at completion. Elbows should be pointing towards the target.

Many players will pivot the left foot from the heel at or after contact, but pivoting from the toe before and during contact as in your swing indicates improper weight transfer.
Weight should be on the ball of each foot during swing.

Think of being more Athletical Balance during the swing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

For starters, try a slight change of your stance by flaring both feet outward slightly.
A couple of drills you could try would be -
1. A slow motion swing with lifting the left foot off the ground slightly during take-away,
then set the foot down firmly on the ground and make weight transfer to left foot. 

2. The Gary Player walk through drill - force your body to step around after contact.
Try slow motion swing without hitting a ball.
Then try it also actually hitting shots.

The end result is to finish the swing with your weight mainly on your left foot and
body facing your target at completion. Elbows should be pointing towards the target.

Many players will pivot the left foot from the heel at or after contact, but pivoting from the toe before and during contact as in your swing indicates improper weight transfer.
Weight should be on the ball of each foot during swing.

Think of being more Athletical Balance during the swing.

Thank you, probably will add the walk through drill during every warm up once I get the hang of it.  I know balance is an issue with me. I started a routine that should help with strengthening my stabilizing muscles. 

so the rest of this week will continue to fix the over swing, weight transfer, and balance.  Adding walk through drills at warm. Hopefully I can get to the range and give my yard a break.

• Administrator

You’ve posted here and a Welcome topic. You’ll get more help if you participate on the forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!