IGNORED

Golf Club Set Recommendation

GMS325
Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new set of golf clubs.  I have not purchased new clubs in 20+ years and do not know where to start with all the new options in the market.  I am 65 years old and now looking to play on a more regular basis.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what clubs would be the best for a 15 handicap 65 year old geezer?  Thank you for your feedback.

10 hours ago, GMS325 said:

I am looking for a new set of golf clubs.  I have not purchased new clubs in 20+ years and do not know where to start with all the new options in the market.  I am 65 years old and now looking to play on a more regular basis.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what clubs would be the best for a 15 handicap 65 year old geezer?  Thank you for your feedback.

Hello and welcome to TST! A lot has changed in the past 20 years for sure. Clubs are basically categorized as:

• Players Irons
  • Players Distance Irons
  • Game Improvement irons
  • Super Game Improvement Irons

First, what’s your budget? Are you considering getting fitted? We here recommend being fitted. This way you can at least know your struggles probably aren’t because of your equipment. Budget wise, going used is an excellent option and you really can’t go wrong with the big brands. Most of them have iron series in all the above mentioned categories.

If you’re not looking to get fitted, at least knowing your ballpark swing speed and having a feel for what weight is appropriate can be a good start. Maybe narrow down some brands that you like the look of and hit them a bit and get a feel of what you like. eBay, 2nd Swing Golf, Callaway Pre-Owned, Galaxy Golf, The Golf Warehouse ( TGW) are good places to shop. Some good ones to look at could be:

• Ping G series
  • Callaway Maverik/Maverik Pro
  • Mizuno JPX/Hot Metal
  • Titleist T300
  • TaylorMade M5

Yeah, there’s a lot. But honestly I really recommend you try and hit some and get some idea what works for you. Static wise a 15hcp at 65yrs would probably be a senior flex shaft. But again, you may swing the bejesus outta it and do fine with a stiff. Figuring the proper weight is important too. Take a look at the Game Improvement irons and see what you think. Hope this helps some. Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Hello and welcome to TST! A lot has changed in the past 20 years for sure. Clubs are basically categorized as:

• Players Irons
  • Players Distance Irons
  • Game Improvement irons
  • Super Game Improvement Irons

First, what’s your budget? Are you considering getting fitted? We here recommend being fitted. This way you can at least know your struggles probably aren’t because of your equipment. Budget wise, going used is an excellent option and you really can’t go wrong with the big brands. Most of them have iron series in all the above mentioned categories.

If you’re not looking to get fitted, at least knowing your ballpark swing speed and having a feel for what weight is appropriate can be a good start. Maybe narrow down some brands that you like the look of and hit them a bit and get a feel of what you like. eBay, 2nd Swing Golf, Callaway Pre-Owned, Galaxy Golf, The Golf Warehouse ( TGW) are good places to shop. Some good ones to look at could be:

• Ping G series
  • Callaway Maverik/Maverik Pro
  • Mizuno JPX/Hot Metal
  • Titleist T300
  • TaylorMade M5

Yeah, there’s a lot. But honestly I really recommend you try and hit some and get some idea what works for you. Static wise a 15hcp at 65yrs would probably be a senior flex shaft. But again, you may swing the bejesus outta it and do fine with a stiff. Figuring the proper weight is important too. Take a look at the Game Improvement irons and see what you think. Hope this helps some. Cheers!

Thanks for the information, there is a lot to digest here.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

39 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

Super game improvement irons callaway b21 or ping g425

ping g425 hybrid 5,6,7

callaway b21 or ping g425 driver

or look at youtube for Cleveland launcher HB Halo really easy to hit iron/hybrid

Thanks for the response and information. 

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!