IGNORED

Putting tip/lesson from Erik (iacas)

Note: This thread is 5856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The fact that the past weekend was a total washout wasn't a total loss for me anyway. I've been struggling with my putting for the past 6-8 months and have been bouncing from putter to putter - I know, I know, an artist never blames his tools.

Erik came down to play this weekend and, as I alluded to, it was not great weather wise. Friday we got 36 in and it was beautiful. Saturday and Sunday were cold and rainy. Between the two rounds on Friday and Saturday during the rain Erik watched me putt and picked up on a couple things that seemed to have clicked with me.

I had been trying to finish my stroke low and throught the ball. The problem was that I was forcing my stroke in an unnatural way and "hitting" the putt rather than "stroking" it. In conjunction with this I was using my left hand much more than I needed to.

Erik had me do the "Tiger" drill where I just putt with the right hand only. I was surprised at how well I could putt this way. The couple things it taught me was that I shouldn't restrict the downstroke in any way. It's really hard to do that with one hand on the club. You really have to let the putter head go. The other thing it showed me was how the left hand should only act as a guide and nothing more. I've reduced the amount of pressure the left hand has significantly.

So far I haven't had a chance to practice outside of house. I'll be curious to see how the putting stats change over the next month or so.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been doing the same thing all winter and I can attest that it really has worked for me too. It helps me get the feeling of releasing the putter through the ball. Then when I put my left hand on the putter I want to feel the right hand move through the ball and the left hand simply help guide it. It also helps keep a nice loose grip. I would say this has helped my putting more then anything else lately.

In fact I make so many putts with just my right hand I am tempted to try it on the course.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Good stuff - hope the stats come down!

The Seemore makes it difficult to "finish low" - I find it very useful.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

That's a good tip I will have to try that sometime.

In the Bag:

Driver: Superquad 10.5 w/ grafalloy Prolaunch Blue
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22*(4)
Irons: 200 series 3-pwWedge: Rac Satin 52*Wedge: X-18 SW (56*)Wedge: CG10 Black Pearl 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 1In the other bag:Blackout w/e2Jt Flex-7Reloader-BPMI Pure Energy 68/5000

thank you, i've been making a mess on the greens so far this spring like a platoon of pee hermans watching adult videos, hope this helps

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I think people make putting harder than it needs to be. I'm glad if you discovered a solution. Keep working at it. Remember, simple is better......stance, grip, everything.

Get some tee pegs and place them 2 inches apart. Put a ball in between them. Hit against the pegs- thats a great drill for timing the putt and getting the feel for the right contact.

Can i suggest from one single figured handicapper to another to check your grip- it should be locked with the palms opposing each other. Glad to be of help.

Note: This thread is 5856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!