IGNORED

TaylorMade Bubble Shaft Grip Installation

Jayclay
Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi - I have some oem Taylormade grips I want to install on some normal DG R300 shafts.
Has anyone done this before and if so could you tell me how many layers of tape I will need to use to compensate for a non bubble shaft? Any advice re this subject would be appreciated
Thanks

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade Bubble Shaft Grip Installation

Throw those grips in the trash for so many reasons. First the tape job required would be very complex as the old bubble shafts had a much more pronounced taper design. Second, those grips are 30 years old and I have strong doubts those grips would still be in good condition. Even if you got them on, many would start to crack within a short time.

Third, and this is just opinion, but those grips have terrible feel to them because of the thinness of the rubber required for use with the bubble shaft. I would say any grip you buy today, regardless of price will be better.

3 hours ago, Jayclay said:

Thanks but I like the grips and just need some advice from someone who has done this. 

Adam is a very experienced club maker and fitter. He knows what he’s talking about.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/15/2021 at 1:03 AM, Jayclay said:

Hi - I have some oem Taylormade grips I want to install on some normal DG R300 shafts.
Has anyone done this before and if so could you tell me how many layers of tape I will need to use to compensate for a non bubble shaft? Any advice re this subject would be appreciated
Thanks

I would email Taylormade and ask them what size the butt is on a bubble shaft, and add tape to that size but I would be surprised if the grip stays in the correct position? I've put a normal grip on a bubble shaft, that works ok..

Hi and thanks. 
I found a bubble shaft and I have a digital micrometer so I'll be able to ascertain the exact measurements. I also have a bubble shaft grip installation tool so that will help.
I think the grip will stay in place if I get the correct amount of tape on the shaft. 
This is a pet project so it's basically a fun/hobby thing for me. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Edited by Jayclay

1 hour ago, Jayclay said:

Hi and thanks. 
I found a bubble shaft and I have a digital micrometer so I'll be able to ascertain the exact measurements. I also have a bubble shaft grip installation tool so that will help.
I think the grip will stay in place if I get the correct amount of tape on the shaft. 
This is a pet project so it's basically a fun/hobby thing for me. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I put a standard size grip on a bubble shaft that's ok, I softened it in hot water and used the bubble shaft installation tool too. It was hard work getting it on but think it's ok, not sure how long it will last so looking to buy the correct bubble shaft grip on eBay maybe? Good luck...

Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!