IGNORED

Tips for Losing Fat With Science

saevel25
Note: This thread is 946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like this guys podcasts. I don't find him pandering a specific protocol or you must do this to be healthy. He just reviews the science literature and provide informative podcasts about that based on the subject of the podcast episode. 

600x600wp.png

‎Show Huberman Lab, Ep How to Lose Fat with Science-Based Tools | Episode 21 - May 24, 2021

The summary...

In general, eating less calories than calories burned. Calories intake is easy to calculate. Calories burned is actually not that easy to figure out. 

These things will help to make sure your body is in an optimized state to burn fat.

1. Above 1000mh of EPA fatty acid per day.
  2. Glutamine - Helps reduce sugar cravings. Can cause stomach issues discomfort when first starting out. Not really needed unless people struggle from cravings.
  3. Healthy Thyroid - So, proper Iodine Levels and proper Selenium Levels. You can get enough Selenium per day by eating 2-3 Brazil Nuts. 
  4. Proper sleep.
  5. Healthy gut microbiome - Eat fermented foods or take good probiotics.

These things help burn more calories or engage the body into burning fat. 

1. Fidgety Movement (bouncing leg, standing up often during the day). People who are subconsciously fidgety were measured burning 800-2500 more calories per day.
  2. Cold Therapy. This is similar to fidgety movement, but actually causes the body to create a chemical that engages the burning of fat. The steps are to induce a shiver for 1-3 minutes by getting into cold water (cold shower/bath). Exit the water, and shiver for 1-3 minutes, and then repeat for 2-3 more times getting in and out of the water. Do this 1-3 times a week. 
  3. High Intensity Training will burn glycogen during the exercise, but for what could be up to 24 hours after the training, the body will burn more fat. 
  4. For burning fat, working out fasted tends to be better. After 90 minutes of moderate intensity (zone 2), if you ate before exercise (1-3 hours before), you will burn far less fat from the 90 minute point onward than if you were fasted (eaten 3 hours or later from start of exercise). The body needs to deplete itself of glycogen to switch over to fat. Higher insulin levels will inhibit fat oxidation. 
  5. Coupling points 3 and 4, while fasted (at minimum 3 hours after eating), do high intensity training first then followed by low intensity training. This could be good for someone with a busy schedule. Training at high intensity for 20-30 minutes, where you are breathing hard for that amount of time, then go on with your day. If you want some extra burn of fat, then do some light to moderate cardio. 

Supplements

1. Caffeine - can enhance performance of exercise. But, only for caffeine adapted. If you are not, the caffeine will constrict your blood vessels and reduce performance. If you are caffeine adapted, then it will actually do the opposite. Up to 400mg of caffeine can help burn more fat during exercise (consume 20-30 minutes before exercise).
  2. GLP1 - Compound that is created in the body by drinking Yerba Mate tea. This compound increases fat oxidation directly. Like caffeine, can be taken before exercise to increase the amount of fat burned during exercise. Mate tea does have caffeine as well. 

*Note, this is just stuff the scientific literature has shown. Consult your doctor before taking anything or doing any new protocols. 

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Supplements

1. Caffeine - can enhance performance of exercise. But, only for caffeine adapted. If you are not, the caffeine will constrict your blood vessels and reduce performance. If you are caffeine adapted, then it will actually do the opposite. Up to 400mg of caffeine can help burn more fat during exercise (consume 20-30 minutes before exercise).

See, Cherry Coke Zero is a sports drink!

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

See, Cherry Coke Zero is a sports drink!

Might be healthier than some of them that have tons of sugar, or other things found in energy drinks. 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

What if you don’t have a thyroid? Asking for a friend.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What if you don’t have a thyroid? Asking for a friend.

I hope they are getting advice from their doctor. I presume they are taking some sort of hormone replacement. 

Iodine and Selenium is for the function of the thyroid to produce the hormone. 

Just doing a quick google, Selenium is used in other parts of the body. 

Selenium is an important mineral. It’s necessary for many processes, such as:

• thyroid hormone metabolism
  • DNA synthesis
  • reproduction
  • protection from infection

Looks like Iodine is just used by the thyroid, doing a quick google search. 

So, consult your doctor, get the blood work done, and take supplementation if needed. 

A malfunctioning thyroid is a big issue. My friend was basically out of it for 6-months because his thyroid wasn't working properly. He had to take some medication. He couldn't do much of anything most days, and was lucky enough to be able to function at his job. The recommendation of having good minerals in the body to support the thyroid is just to make sure your body is functioning normally. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I hope they are getting advice from their doctor. I presume they are taking some sort of hormone replacement. 

Iodine and Selenium is for the function of the thyroid to produce the hormone. 

Just doing a quick google, Selenium is used in other parts of the body. 

Looks like Iodine is just used by the thyroid, doing a quick google search. 

So, consult your doctor, get the blood work done, and take supplementation if needed. 

A malfunctioning thyroid is a big issue. My friend was basically out of it for 6-months because his thyroid wasn't working properly. He had to take some medication. He couldn't do much of anything most days, and was lucky enough to be able to function at his job. The recommendation of having good minerals in the body to support the thyroid is just to make sure your body is functioning normally. 

My thyroid was removed back in the 1990s cuz it was being a little bitch. Great fun! I was being a bit tongue and cheek and am well aware of thyroid functionality. That being said, I don’t think it affects my ability to maintain my weight. I do have to watch my vitamin D intake, especially in winter. Also, I don’t eat walnuts or grapefruit juice because they inhibit the absorption of the meds.

Also, it takes quite a while to get the med levels correct when you start them. They went over with the dosage once due to a change to the generic. It was awful. I was so jittery that I wanted to tear my skin off. They went down but it took 3 month for me to feel normal again.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I'm pretty sure I'm caffeine adapted. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!