IGNORED

Masters: Tradition and Snobbery

g-funk13
Note: This thread is 5866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The first major of the year is many golfers' favorite. Sometimes it is my favorite, sometimes it is not. I love the azaleas in bloom, the immaculate fairways and greens, and the low-commercial coverage.

But I am tired of the folks at Augusta trying to assert themselves as bigger than Tiger Woods. The latest cut is in the Masters Commercials on ESPN and GC. Tirico Voice Over: "They have 6 Green Jackets between them" Visual: Woods and Mickelson.

I am sorry, 6 BETWEEN THEM? Try 4 and 2, or in other words, twice as many. By trying to raise Phil to Tiger's level, or lower Tiger to Phil's the folks at Augusta continue to show reluctance to tip its collective hat to Tiger. I love the Masters, but this is a ridiculous way to advertise.

Let's just clear this up: More people know the name of Tiger Woods than the name of ANY tournament including Augusta. Not by a little. It will be the same in 20 years. The same in 100 years.

I think your beef is with the networks that cover the Masters and not the Masters itself as your thread title would suggest. Personally, I feel more than any golfer that Augusta National is the star of the Masters
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I think your beef is with the networks that cover the Masters and not the Masters itself as your thread title would suggest. Personally, I feel more than any golfer that Augusta National is the star of the Masters

I agree with the course being Amazing. But NOT as amazing as Tiger. Not even close. And I think the marketing of the Masters is an extension of Augusta's attitude.

Do what I do and just block all of that crap out and enjoy the Masters for it's pure greatness and just hope that there is drama on the back nine on Sunday. Everyone knows that Augusta is the most exclusive snobitorium in the nation. You just have to look past it and embrace everything else about it that makes it the greatest tournament in golf imo.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I agree with the course being Amazing. But NOT as amazing as Tiger. Not even close. And I think the marketing of the Masters is an extension of Augusta's attitude.

No argument with Tiger's ability, but part of his legacy is because of wins at places like Augusta. I doubt that Tirico was handed a script by Billy Payne and told what to say, and I'm sure that an exclusively private club is not worried about marketing. The networks on the other hand are.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Do what I do and just block all of that crap out and enjoy the Masters for it's pure greatness and just hope that there is drama on the back nine on Sunday. Everyone knows that Augusta is the most exclusive snobitorium in the nation. You just have to look past it and embrace everything else about it that makes it the greatest tournament in golf imo.

yes, must focus . . .

I don't agree with any of your argument, BUT, as far as ESPN and Tericho go, I'm not suprised they've already managed to offend someone even before the tournament starts!I think you would get more class out of DW, and his NASCAR Boys covering the Masters than we will get from Tericho and ESPN! I am not a Tericho Fan!

As far as Tiger being bigger than the Masters? Augusta,,Yankee Stadium,,just a couple examples of great monuments to thier sport. To say that certain players are greater than these monuments is rediculous because without them you would just have Babe Ruth hitting baseballs into a corn field, or Tiger pitching balls around a park.

You could have said that if Tiger wins 7 Green Jackets, or more, then he will be the Greatest Player in Masters History,,,,that would make more sense to me. Of course, Jack still owns that honor for now!! :)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

ditto on the "snobitorium"

they sure took their sweet time waiting to invite a black person and now twiddling their thumbs letting some women in

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Nice Post--I think that the reason Phil gets soo much credit is because he is what the majority of upper class golfers strive to be...He presents himself as a corporate titan who excludes himself from the general public...I think Phil is perceived as a Gentlemans gentleman--the type of white collar citizen that many upper class people are...Not to be disputed but i think people do look up to that type of person Phil is..I have no problem with it but when Tiger kind of gets the backseat--i just have to laugh...Great Post

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

You could have said that if Tiger wins 7 Green Jackets, or more, then he will be the Greatest Player in Masters History,,,,that would make more sense to me. Of course, Jack still owns that honor for now!! :)

Now this is a valid point. My counter point, and I really don't know the answer to this, did Augusta ever try to "Jack-proof" the course? With Tiger's first Masters win at -18 and 12 better than the field (before they tried to Tiger-proof Augusta) Tiger DOMINATED Augusta AND made them change their layout.

Tiger beating Jack's Masters and Majors record is NOT a foregone conclusion, so maybe he is not bigger than the tourney in some people's eyes. But he is in mine.

I don't think that theres anything wrong with a stiff upper lip- thats what golf used to be about- Country Clubs are about this...standards are falling as the game is being opened up

Im sure the Augusta committee hated handing a green jacket over to a black man- bear in mind where the club is in the US,..Deep South, still a racially prejudice place and very Christian with high strict moral values....

but to present the jacket to TW, not once, but 4 times, and maybe a 5th could be an irritation for the Board of Directors. I don't think they minded doing it for VJ because hes Fijian, not an African American.

Anyway, the fact that the course is shut to the masses is what makes it special..long may it continue.

I love the traditions of the game and i love the good old days (but not the racist part) with dress codes etc.

I think that snobbery is what keeps the tournament in the forefront, in general. There is alot of history there, as well and i guess that ties into it. For my money I would rather play in 1 US open than 10 Masters, if ever I had the chance. The US Open is my favorite golf tournament and is the only one I try to catch every second of coverage that i can. My instructor once got a round in at Augusta and told me it was the most overrated golf course he had ever played, and also mentioned it cant hold a burnt match to Pine Valley in NJ or even any of the Bethpage courses in NY. Also he mentioned if you are cool with any management (even lower levels) at augusta there is a good chance you can play there, and that it is as untouchable as it is sterotyped. But i dont know how true that is.

Augusta is beautiful and immaculate of course, but beyond that I dont see the giddiness people have about the tournament.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
Im sure the Augusta committee hated handing a green jacket over to a black man- bear in mind where the club is in the US,..Deep South, still a racially prejudice place and very Christian with high strict moral values....

How would you know? Or do you just read about this in your British rags and assume it all to be true?

but to present the jacket to TW, not once, but 4 times, and maybe a 5th could be an irritation for the Board of Directors. I don't think they minded doing it for VJ because hes Fijian, not an African American.

This has got to be some of the shallowest thinking I've ever seen. You do realize Tiger's quite a bit Asian, as well, and famously characterized himself as "Cablinasian" to describe his mixed heritage, right?

I'm stopping myself from really going off on your unfounded and really quite ridiculous assumptions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

please tell me if you know any different with facts etc.

Come on, Georgia aint Los Angeles or New York!..Ive been to the States and i know that certain parts of it aren't as cosmopolitan as others. In the Deep South, peoples' general attitude towards minorities is at best prehistoric. You won't know this from watching tv.

Being from Augusta, I find it very interesting and quite comical in some of your comments.

First off, the Augusta National is a PRIVATE CLUB. They can exclude ANYBODY they want to. If they let in all white males and no black males....then you have an arguement. However, only the elite of the elite are members of the club and it will always be exclusive...I bet that each of you invite people that you have nothing in common with into your weekend 4somes, don't you? Doubt it. You play with who you are comfortable with.

Second, the National is only ready to play for about 3 months out of the year. The rest of the time it is being added to and repaired. I believe that they tear down every green after surveying a 1-inch grid and put it back together. After the tournament, the greens are not as fast, and the course is typically easier. My dad used to shoot in the mid 80s and averaged about that when he played there.

Third, the National has undergone improvements for the life of it to adjust to the player of the day. The course was lengthened but it wasn't just for Tiger, it was because all players are longer. And they lengthen it to force different types of shots for all players. Tiger is not the longest player on tour.

Fourth, I have seen racism in every shape and form around this country from every race of people. I love how it is accepted to stereotype an entire region as being racist.....just because of the past. Come on down and get some southern hospitality......if you are good to me, I am good to you. Bottom Line.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

You sir and full of compost. And I am glad that we aren't like LA or NY....people around here still say hello on the street, offer help to a stranger, and still have manners.

What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

I was born in and have lived in the South my entire life. Does this make me a racist? Should I assume you have bad teeth, love tea and crumpets, and routinely participate in soccer riots?

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

• Administrator

This isn't the kind of topic you can discuss with "facts." No doubt some idiots somewhere in the south is still a racist that resents Tiger Woods. Some might even be a member at Augusta. But you have no proof of that either, and even if the chairman was a racist himself that doesn't mean everyone else is too.

I think that, particularly as a guy from the UK, you lack a whole lot of insight into our culture and think that you should stick to discussing your own only when it comes up. I find the fact that you've casually labeling millions of people racists to be incredibly tactless and stupid at best. You've assumed a great deal here, and you probably know what they say about people who assume. I've already doled out a negative reputation comment, but I suspect mine will not be the only one you receive today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!