IGNORED

Why don't Pro instructors compete??

under_par
Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Why aren't Pro Instructor Compete?

• Some are better teacher than player
    • Tried but failed

Hey everyone,

This has been on my mind a while. If the Pro teachers (Butch, Harmon, Leadbetter, Peltz, etc) are so good at what they do...so why can't they compete in the Senior or PGA tour?

If you look at most sports coaches (NFL, NBA, MLB, etc) has played before. So how come golf Pros aren't playing in the tour? What concern me is most of the head pro at these golf clubs haven't played a day on the tour. I could be so wrong with this but just curious to know.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

swing coaches are mechanics, not race car drivers

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Maybe they figured that they make way more $$$ teaching than they could playing. You have to figure those are among the top 10 teacher's in the world, they demand TOP TIER money, and its guaranteed money which is probably more appealing than money they might or might not win in a tournament. Also if their true love is teaching the game, playing in the tour would take that away from them as the tour would demand 100% of their time. Just my .02.

In the Grom bag:

Driver: G5 9* Aldila NV65
Irons: I-3 O-size
SW: cg14 56*Putter: Marilyn

Before the lady I am working with now I worked with two different pro's. For one, he was probably the best ball striker I have ever seen. He actually played on a couple of what now are nike and nationwide type tours. He had a personal demon(booze) that made it impossible on him. The second I worked with was a great golfer. He would put ten straight balls inside 20 feet at 150 yards...if you whipped out a $50 bill and asked him to hit that green he wouldnt put it within twenty feet. When it meant something he couldnt execute.

Most of the best of the best coaches were marginal players themselves...not all but most.

I dont know what Leadbetter, Harmon, Pelz and the others make but I bet they make a TON of jack.

Harmon won a PGA Tour event (BC Open) by had a lot of personal struggles while he was a player.

You can see it with teachers or university profs; often the best ones are not ones who are complete geniuses. Often they are the ones who can look at a situation and break it down quickly, and then communicate it in a logical way, and when someone doesn't understand it, know how to approach it differently. I know I've seen some people who were great athletes or academics, and they couldn't teach worth a hoot. Often they have a hard time understanding why other mere mortals don't 'get it' like they do. Thus the phrase mentioned earlier "Those who can't, teach" is unfair in my opinion. If they are good at teaching, then that is their skill set.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Hey everyone,

Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter (as well as Rick Smith) did play on the tours for a short time, but they found they enjoyed teaching more than playing and traveling. Pelz worked for NASA before he did his short game reseach. Currently they all make more money teaching then they would competing on the tours.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I played with a teaching pro for two years, about 100 playing lessons.

He wanted me to sponsor him on tour and he was that good. He routinely would score 3-5 under on my difficult course. High, beautiful, soft approach shots like Tiger. Penetrating, striped drives. Laser like putter.

I stopped the lessons because I plateaud at bogey. He was a feel player and couldn't teach mechanics.

swing coaches are mechanics, not race car drivers

If there's a trophy for Best Analogies, you win.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

If there's a trophy for Best Analogies, you win.

(aside) does he really love and appreciate me or does he want my money... or pos rep pts.?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

• Administrator
Hank Heune (?) still plays on tour a bit, but not very often- he spends most of his time teaching TW.

Huh?!?!??! Are you just making stuff up now?

It's Hank Haney. Hank Kuehne is a pro golfer who competes on the PGA Tour sometimes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those who can't play, coach.

I'm sure there are those of us whose knowledge of the game and its mechanics are far superior to our playing ability - meaning we know what's wrong with our games, we just can't put it into action.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Mine does. He has won a few MET opens (a tourament im not aware of) and a few PGA NJ championships. I think he is the reigning NJ PGA champion. He played in the 86 US Open (missed cut) and a PGA championship. He hopes to make a run at Champions tour Q-school in two years. He is a little guy (5'5) and is not very long at all, but is deadly with his short irons and putting. Im happy to have him as a teacher, even though i have to commute over 2 hours to see him.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
no, ive always got the two mixed up, sorry.

Good on you to admit it. I don't know HOW you mix those two up, but OK.

Those who can't play, coach.

That's a shallow-minded approach to coaching. Coaching (and teaching) is itself a unique skill. Tiger can play but might be a horrible teacher for all we know.

Good teachers don't have to know how to DO - they're just awesome at getting others to know how to DO. Totally separate skill.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally, I think it's an issue of money and time. Why go through three or four days of grinding when you can make that money in a few hours?

Golf Digest listed what these guys made. It ran from $500 an hour up to $10,000, a day. Not including, expenses. Plus, like doctors, these guys are on call 24/7. Is Butch going to tell Phil or Adam Scott, "Hey, I can't spend time with you preparing for the Masters. I'm going to try and get on this Senior's event." I highly doubt it.

They also have deals with various manufacturers, their own schools, corporate functions. Basically, they live the life and have the responsibility of a professional golfer. They're just not playing on tour.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!