IGNORED

Anybody else hate the sound and feel of the newer, huge drivers?

TheSnapHooker
Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at the range yesterday getting back into the game, and to the left and right of me were two guys hitting with new, planet-size drivers. What a terrible sound! CRACK!! CRACK!! in stereo.

I had actually planned to buy a Sumo2 Sasquatch driver. I had a hit with my mate`s Sumo and I hit it longer and straighter than I can with my old Great Big Bertha - but then I realised that I didn`t actually enjoy HITTING the ball with that beast. I enjoyed the result, but the dead feel and horrible sound on contact was no fun. When I smoked it it didn`t feel any better than when I didn`t really catch it.

Now I`m not dissing the clubs or the golfers who use them, I would almost certainly shoot better with one of the new beasts in my bag - but I play the game for fun and so I`m gonna stick with my old weapon which feels and sounds like a golf club.

So carry on booming it past me with your new massive drivers guys....just please don`t stand either side of me on the range!

Rotate those hips, baby!

In my bag:
Driver
r7 Superquad REAX srHybrid Sumo SQ #2 18 DG TT S300 Irons TAB III 5-PW N.S.PRO 850GH rWedges RAC TP Black 52 TourStage X-Blade CB SWPutters:Competitive Edge chipper/putterYamada SC-302BallWhatever`s in the bag!

I like the sound. Lets people know you're there

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

i hate the sound. i also hate the look of these square drivers. when i buy a club, i look at feel, look and sound.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Some are better than others. The square drivers, Callaways and Cobras seem to be the worst of it. Brands like Ping and TM are loud but not completely intolerable. This is why I have been debating looking for a 400-425CC driver for my next one. I have been hoping and praying that Titleist would put the 907D4 into production (425CC version of the D2). They have a better look and sound than many of today's drivers.

The best sounding driver out there right now IMO would have to be the Ping G5 (haven't heard the G10) or the R7 425.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'm thinking of getting a Louisville Golf persimmon driver. I hate the way these new drivers sound (although the D2, M Speed, Wilson, and Nike I've tried at the range all gave me about 30 more yards). "pling"!

The Cobra F Speed LD (2007) version is the loudest driver ive ever hit..When I hit that thing --everyone at the range immediately looked over to see what was making such a spectacle...I personally think its louder than the SUMO square but its up for a good debate

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I don't know. For some reason I kind of like the sounds that they make and the fact that the individual clubs each seem to have their "own" sound.

I kinda get a kick out of listening to the drivers at the range and trying to figure out which driver it is that is making that sound.

I also like hearing a new sound, and walking by to see what driver it is that I haven't heard yet.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Sumo's are kind of annoying I agree but since the game has kind of gone that way, it seems like more and more people have drivers like them. It's kind of like how I felt about crying babies before I had my first one...They used to annoy me and I couldn't block the crying out if one was next to me. Now, I don't even notice it if one is in the same room as me.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I love the sound of the Sumo 2, but I absolutly hate the sound of the Speed LD drivers.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

The Speed LD driver (07) that i was hitting-was actually echoing in the valley where the range is located...Its very very loud and ive heard a lot of bad reviews about the sound...but personally i like it because it kind of intimidates other players

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Some good replies! I especially like the crying babies analogy...

Rotate those hips, baby!

In my bag:
Driver
r7 Superquad REAX srHybrid Sumo SQ #2 18 DG TT S300 Irons TAB III 5-PW N.S.PRO 850GH rWedges RAC TP Black 52 TourStage X-Blade CB SWPutters:Competitive Edge chipper/putterYamada SC-302BallWhatever`s in the bag!

those drivers sound like garbage pick-up day when i lived in brooklyn, lots of clanging steel garbage cans bouncing around the street

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

those drivers sound like garbage pick-up day when i lived in brooklyn, lots of clanging steel garbage cans bouncing around the street

which one the square or the speed ld?

I have a MacTec NVG that I don't use anymore. Part of the reason was the sound, I'm pretty sure it was louder/more obnoxious than any of the drivers we are discussing so far.

The other part of the reason I don't was the fact that I couldn't hit it worth a damn -- and even when I only dribbled it off the tee for 150 yards it still made this obnoxious sound that caused heads to turn. Remember how aluminum baseball bats sounded in the late 70's? that's kinda what an original NVG sounds like.

Humiliating!

However, I love the more modest gunfire-metallic thwack my GeoMax makes.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Top 5 loudest drivers in my opinion

1. Cobra Speed LD 2007 version
2. Nike Sumo Square
3. TaylorMade R7 460
4. MacGregor MacTec
5. Cobra HS9

Ive heard that bang Golf drivers were loud as well--never hit one--but does anyone know how they stand up to the loudest drivers

any drivers that we missed?

Yeah I like listening to the different sounds, the only problem with having a loud driver is if you are not hitting well on the range and everyone looks to expect a shot carrying to the end of the range when they just turn and see a terrible shot. Now that's bad.

Oh, r7 425, the Cobra 400 sz is ear piercingly loud also.

Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!