IGNORED

My Swing (Big C's Son)

Big C

I've been Playing Golf for: A few Months
My current handicap index or average score is: Double Par
My typical ball flight is: Very Low or Very High
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hard left pulls

Videos: 

Hi Folks. I'm getting my son into golf and like most boys his age, the last thing he wants to do is listen to swing tips from dad. I thought Crowd sourcing opinions from TST might be a more effective way of diagnosing and communicating advice. He seems to enjoy playing, but gets frustrated by his current tendency to miss low and left. Thanks in advance!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this the first child created swing thread? How awesome is that!

My only thought is he needs to keep his tilt. Shoulder are awful flat on the backswing, particularly A4. However, at that age, much more about having fun and hanging out with dad.

One suggestion, non-golf swing related. I was talking with another dad about getting our kids into golf. His suggestion was based on his buddies strategy for soccer. He took his kids to games, and he would leave the game the second a kid asked to leave. No questions asked. He said that his buddies kids would start to go longer and longer into the game, but whenever they asked to leave he would. I think this is a good strategy for golf. I have the tendency to force my kid to finish the holes we have left to play. I won't plan to do that anymore. Maybe this helps, maybe not, but I thought it was some sound advice. By the way, he did say his buddies kids now stay for the whole game, and love going. So there might be something to it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Michael

(edited)

Michael thanks for the reply. 

I think your buddy's suggestion is a good one. It's important to remember that if they are having fun, they will remember the game favorably and want to come back. 

I'm sure we could all tell stories of parenting mistakes we have made when getting our kids into youth sports. One of my all timers came from the the first time I took my son out onto a real course. In an effort to encourage him to focus on every shot, I told him that if we able to accomplish "double par" or better on any hole, I'd buy him an ice cream afterwards. He struggled through the first 6 holes, but on hole 7, he put 2 or 3 good shots together and was facing a two foot tap in for the ice cream. Well.... he managed to miss that one - and realizing he had likely blown his best chance at his treat, his face got red and he immediately started sobbing right there on the green. It took me a few minutes to calm him down while the group behind me played through.

Lesson learned - now I just reward a good attitude and good etiquette and let the scores take care of themselves.

Edited by Big C

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (Big C's Son)
  • Administrator

I'd teach him a good setup and get him to turn while the shoulder points down at the ground.

You could have him hold a club across his shoulders, and point it down at your foot. If you have a laser pointer that could be fun, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Updating this thread about 18 months later. We are not quite to the point where I can take him to the course yet (nor is he particularly interested in spending 2-3 hours on the course). But he does enjoy bashing balls at the range, especially those few shots where he makes solid contact. There are lots of swing tips I want to give him, but I generally restrain myself and instead tell him to make sure he takes a good stance and set up before each shot. 

With that said, if anyone sees something particularly glaring, I would be glad to share with him.

• Administrator

Downswing instincts are good. Keep that elbow away from his ribs a bit longer on the backswing, encourage more of a turn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Big C said:

Sounds good- thanks Erik. You are referring to the right elbow, correct?

Yes.

• 5 months later...

Recent update: He's got a bit of a Scheffler spin-out going on with the front foot. He can generate pretty good power for his size, but consistency is a struggle. 

BTW - Merry Christmas to all on this forum!

Edited by Big C
  • Thumbs Up 2