IGNORED

Why you should ALWAYS get fitted by a professional

Note: This thread is 5865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

most people might be fine with standard specs, people from 5'9 to 6"2 or so. I'm 6'4" and had my irons lengthened an inch and it has made all the difference in the world. I should have done it long ago..

most people might be fine with standard specs, people from 5'9 to 6"2 or so. I'm 6'4" and had my irons lengthened an inch and it has made all the difference in the world. I should have done it long ago..

That's good to hear. I just don't agree that most people are fine with standard specs, because there is no such thing as a "standard" spec. Not only do different companies have different lie angle and lengths, different MODELS in a companies product line may have different standard specs.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I was improperly fit by an OEM salesperson from Mizuno at a demo day.

What is an OEM salesperson and how can I tell them from the people Mizuno sends to fitting days?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is an OEM salesperson and how can I tell them from the people Mizuno sends to fitting days?

That is who Mizuno sends to demo days. They will often call them a tech rep. They are a salesperson. Demo what you like, then go to a real fitter.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

So what happens after you're fitted? Do you pick out any clubs and they alter them for you? Or are there limited clubs from which you can choose?

I'm 5'8" and tend to bend more and I find that the head of my clubs are not flat on the ground. The toes are usually up.

That is who Mizuno sends to demo days. They will often call them a tech rep. They are a salesperson. Demo what you like, then go to a real fitter.

The Mizuno website distinguishes between demo days and fitting days. Are they the same group?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The Mizuno website distinguishes between demo days and fitting days. Are they the same group?

Demo days- test out all the clubs you want, whatever.

Fitting days- they will fit you for the right clubs. they expect a purchase, usually.

Demo days- test out all the clubs you want, whatever.

Yeah, the part I'm worried about is this:

So I'm wondering, then, how good the fitting done at Mizuno fitting days is. Because I'm ready to get fit and purchase MP-57s, quite possibly on Friday if they show up where their website says they'll be.

-- Michael | My swing! 

If you got fitted and were looking to buy a new set I would order them directly from the manufacturer rather than having them altered. Unless all you needed were the lie angles adjusted a degree or shafts cut down, you could have the shop where you order them handle that (if they have the right equipment & knowhow), but since you are spending good money, let all the adjustments be made at the factory.

As for your irons looking too upright at address, remember, your hands will most always be positioned lower at address, then at impact be slightly higher. I hope when you were fitted they put impact tape on the sole of your iron to see where your club made contact to the lie board, that is the true determination of what lie angle you need. Also, for every 1/2 inch you lengthen or shorten a club your lie angle will change 1 degree (shorten an iron by .5 inch makes it 1 degree flatter, you stand closer to the ball).

I hope this helps.

Kevin
In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

Note: This thread is 5865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!