IGNORED

Dude Perfect Plays Augusta

phillyk
Note: This thread is 744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this is great! The only down side was their choice of pro to join them, but definitely cool that they had this opportunity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'll watch this at some point, but when I saw the preview (and then it was deleted), I thought maybe someone had mis-timed an April Fool's Day joke or something.

Nope. It's real.

Surprised Augusta National let them do this. I'm not yet sure if I'm happy they let them. Just surprised for now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'll watch this at some point, but when I saw the preview (and then it was deleted), I thought maybe someone had mis-timed an April Fool's Day joke or something.

Nope. It's real.

Surprised Augusta National let them do this. I'm not yet sure if I'm happy they let them. Just surprised for now.

I mean they have 57 million subscribers on youtube. Not a bad way to try and grow the game, as it’s reaching an audience that may not play golf at all. It showcases the beauty of Augusta and golf, but in a way that makes things fun. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

I am shocked they were allowed to desecrate the hollowed grounds! At the same time, I am pleasantly surprised that Augusta was so cool to let them do this. Loved the caddy bit thrown in there. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 4/2/2022 at 4:42 PM, phillyk said:

I think this is great! The only down side was their choice of pro to join them, but definitely cool that they had this opportunity. 

To be fair, Bryson is probably one of the few tour pros who would be willing to do something like this. I can't picture that many other tour pros who would willingly agree to do this.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, phillyk said:

I mean they have 57 million subscribers on youtube. Not a bad way to try and grow the game, as it’s reaching an audience that may not play golf at all. It showcases the beauty of Augusta and golf, but in a way that makes things fun. 

As long as it doesn't lead to copycats of people who think this is ok to do on a local muni and try to replicate this on a Saturday morning round or something. If they had a smaller audience of a couple hundred thousand or so I wouldnt be as worried, but 57M is A LOT of people so I'm sure there's some idiots in that group who want to try this.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on it, I can see how hardcore golf fans wouldn't be interested, but I can also see how non-golf fans would find it entertaining. 

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

So, I watched.

• To those wondering why ANGC would allow this, I can give you 57M reasons.
  • It's not my cup of tea. It's a great cup for the modern teen, apparently.
  • That said, it wasn't terrible. It may even be "good." Whether they truly are or it's in the editing or a performance, they came off as "fun."
  • Making golf look "fun" — golf in any form — is a net positive.
  • I have begun working on a book for strategies for All Sports. There's definitely a strategy here to be exploited. Bunkers no longer should have red stakes around them. Code name is "Lowest Sport Wins."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, klineka said:

To be fair, Bryson is probably one of the few tour pros who would be willing to do something like this. I can't picture that many other tour pros who would willingly agree to do this.

As long as it doesn't lead to copycats of people who think this is ok to do on a local muni and try to replicate this on a Saturday morning round or something. If they had a smaller audience of a couple hundred thousand or so I wouldnt be as worried, but 57M is A LOT of people so I'm sure there's some idiots in that group who want to try this.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on it, I can see how hardcore golf fans wouldn't be interested, but I can also see how non-golf fans would find it entertaining. 

I wasn't aware we didn't like Bryson. To me he seems like a decent and personable dude. 

As far as copycats, I doubt it. This isn't the first time Dude Perfect has done this type of golf "battle". They've got 4 or 5 other videos doing the same spanning years. 

It may not be popular, but I could argue Tiger's impact on public golf wasn't wholly positive. I worked at courses when he was in his prime. And we saw our average round time jump from 4 hours to 5-6+ hours. Thanks to plenty of non-golfers suddenly picking up the game, thinking they can belt 300+ yard drives, waiting for greens to clear on par 5s, etc. 

Remember one group of guys in particular, every weekend, that were just a royal PITA. Once approached them because they were holding up play (as usual). With like 2-3 groups staking up behind them. I tell them they need to pick it up, and sit there in the cart waiting for them to hit.

Next guy up absolutely blades his approach shot. Like 20 yards in the air and 150 yards on the ground. And it just happens to roll up within a few feet of the pin. Guy I'd just told to pick up the pace looks at me and says, "you see, that's how we do it". And he wasn't being facetious. He was genuinely contending that they were quality players just because the ball came to rest in a great spot. 

And then there were the course championships. There was a handicap ceiling for registration, but it was on the honor system. Got paired with a dude one year who I saw almost every week. He was always touting his prowess to anyone who'd listen. "Yeah, shot 3 over today". "Drove 12 and knocked in an eagle". Stuff like that. Any guesses what he carded in round one? I don't remember exactly but it was over 120, lol. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

11 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

I wasn't aware we didn't like Bryson. To me he seems like a decent and personable dude. 

I personally don't have an issue with Bryson, but I can see how his personality rubs people the wrong way.

11 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

It may not be popular, but I could argue Tiger's impact on public golf wasn't wholly positive. I worked at courses when he was in his prime. And we saw our average round time jump from 4 hours to 5-6+ hours. Thanks to plenty of non-golfers suddenly picking up the game, thinking they can belt 300+ yard drives, waiting for greens to clear on par 5s, etc. 

What a horrible take and pretty off topic.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

24 minutes ago, klineka said:

What a horrible take and pretty off topic.

How so? Same principal. Bunch of copycats start showing up on the weekends causing issues for the pace of play. It's great that he brought tons of people to the game. But it wasn't without side effects. 

Maxfli Tour X

You guys are straying way off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@DoubleAce nearly any way that brings in more people to this great game is a positive. Courses were becoming real estate left and right the last 10yrs. Golf needs to grow and stick with the times.

Dude Perfect is there. I see popular streamers on youtube and twitch streaming them playing golf vs their normal video games. All that helps bring golf into something young people want to do. We need that for this great game to stick around. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

@DoubleAce nearly any way that brings in more people to this great game is a positive. Courses were becoming real estate left and right the last 10yrs. Golf needs to grow and stick with the times.

Dude Perfect is there. I see popular streamers on youtube and twitch streaming them playing golf vs their normal video games. All that helps bring golf into something young people want to do. We need that for this great game to stick around. 

I don't disagree. And Tiger was a significant net positive. Just playing devil's advocate and adding some perspective that his impact wasn't wholly positive. 

I wish YT were around when me and my buddies were younger. We were doing all the Good Good stuff, minus the cameras. 

Maxfli Tour X

Note: This thread is 744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!