IGNORED

Advice - Do I need new irons?

Note: This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

I'm considering whether or not I need to change my irons and would appreciate any guidance. Let me explain.

At the back end of last season I took a few lessons and made some changes to my swing. I basically improved my shoulder turn and flattened my swing plane slightly. The result of this is that I have gone from someone who always had a slight fade (and occasional large slice ) to a draw.

I am striking the ball much cleaner, but my problem now is that I am drawing the ball too much. I can't hit the ball straight and I certainly can't hit a fade. Even with my wedges I still draw the ball. Very difficult in right to left wind and i'm also struggling to land the ball softly on greens.

A friend of mine suggested that I need to change my irons - I currently use Mizuno MX-23 which are game improvers with a medium offset.

Anyone have any thoughts - suggestion for which irons I should consider?

Thanks, Lee

In my bag
Driver - R7 CGB Max 9.5 Stiff
3W - R580 Stiff
Irons - MX-25 4-PW Project X 5.5
Hybrid - Halo 3iWedges - 52 & 60 Vokey Oil CanPutter - Studio Style Newport

It’s your swing, not the club. Your changed swing path (seems lower) probably turned your club more upright, ball is contacting closer to heel, producing draw bias. You can check this by examining your club after every shot making, or using tape on the bottom of iron.
If that's the case, you can make your club flatter.....1 degree for every 1/4 in away from the center.

Weaker grip for fade and stronger grip for draw for me

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

Short answer? No.

Where you're at (16) is where fitting comes into play, i.e., bending, shaft options, et al.

Ask your instructor if you should get your 23s fitted. Most Mizuno irons are easily fitted, but with 23s I'm not so sure (not a Mizuno expert).

Otherwise, get a new set and/shaft selection after every subtle swing change. Cheaper? Yeah, that's it.

Maybe-

According to Bob Rotella, the average American male golfer's handicap is the same as it was 15 years ago: 16.2.

This means with all the new clubs and balls, we suck about the same. So that means it might not be your equipment.

It really depends on how you fancy yourself. Do you want a club that starts you off neutral and make you work for a ball flight? Do you want a club that puts the ball in a tight circle on the green no mater if it was a good or bad swing? It's a personal decision.

For what it's worth, I played one round with some offset TM RAC rentals, and it ruined my swing for 3 rounds after. I'd much rather be punished for bad swings and rewarded for good swings. But in the end it's up to you.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Try demoing different clubs that you shall find adequate..I have heard great reviews about the AP1's...but Ping has an exceptional color code system that can help you with your natural swing tendancys--best wishes

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

The Gill? I do tend to agree -- good post.

There was a brief about Alex Cejka today I read; about how he had to play a set of rentals in the Shell Houston Open. He shot one under with a set of rental clubs.

The mention was in the Sun News of Myrtle Beach.

Point being, he's that good. They're that good.

The article closes with a quote:

"The next time a buddy in your foursome complains about how his game is off because of the jacked up rental clubs he's using and asks for more strokes, tell him where to go."

Sorry to get off topic...

• Administrator
Try demoing different clubs that you shall find adequate..I have heard great reviews about the AP1's...but Ping has an exceptional color code system that can help you with your natural swing tendancys--best wishes

Ping's color code system is for fitting. It has nothing to do with fixing swing flaws or "tendencies."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ping's color code system is for fitting. It has nothing to do with fixing swing flaws or "tendencies."

OK now I understand why he gets picked on so much......

New Irons the way to go. Seems like i have went through 3 sets the last 4 years. It's fun trying out all the new equipment to. Demo some then get them used on ebay. I end up breaking even on all my deals.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

Thanks for all the thoughts. I have to admit I do really like my Mizuno's and the thought of replacing them hadn't even crossed my mind until it was suggested by my friend.
I think I just need to put the hours in hitting a fade especially with my approach shots. When I try this on the range currently I either hit a shank or pull it way left.

In my bag
Driver - R7 CGB Max 9.5 Stiff
3W - R580 Stiff
Irons - MX-25 4-PW Project X 5.5
Hybrid - Halo 3iWedges - 52 & 60 Vokey Oil CanPutter - Studio Style Newport

As mentioned it is the swing and also not forgetting your grip. After 1 1/2 years, finally figured out how to grip and swing properly last week. Went to the range and managed to hit more straight shots much more consistently than before.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I have to admit I do really like my Mizuno's and the thought of replacing them hadn't even crossed my mind until it was suggested by my friend.

I do think the advice to get the lie on your irons checked was a good idea. One other thing, if your ball position has gotten to far back in your stance that could be a factor also.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!