IGNORED

The masters is too fabricated

Borf
Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And that commentary was the initial topic of discussion.

Sorry. Let me edit that.

"It's called color comment ary." I understand (and agree) that some of it gets annoying. Just like listening to John Madden or Dick V. gets annoying. That's why the mute button exists (on my controller anyway).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I love (actually hate) how the top staff at the Master's take over the broadcast and push CBS aside whenever they feel like it.. like the guy who pushed Jim Nantz aside and did his thing at the Green Jacket presentation in the cabin.

Huh?

The "staff" you're referring to is the chairman of Augusta National. He's a member, and arguable currently the most important member. They open their course to fans, viewers, and the golfers. There was no "pushing aside" - simply tradition. The tradition has lasted longer than 20 years and will likely continue on for much longer as well. And you know, they - and the Masters champ himself - IS more important than Jim Nantz. I can't tell if you're trying to be intentionally obnoxious or not, but you've succeeded whether you were trying to or not.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh?

He must be young, Erik, otherwise he'd know that if you wait 20 years there will be another 'old dude' in the same chair. Time will cure the faults of youth.

I quite like that bit, the Chairman interviewing the winner. All too often, TV interviews are distinguished only by their fatuousness and banality. "How do you feel?", for example. One waits with eagerness for someone to reply "How do you think I feel, you plonker? I'm $1 million richer, some chick's giving me they eye and my sponsor's performance clause just kicked in." A bit of gravitas is no bad thing, IMHO.

Huh?

No kidding. And what business would Jim Nantz have presenting the Green Jacket? He's a guy with a microphone and a soothing voice. Ford or whatever his name is, is the President of Augusta National?

Hey, speaking of snobby, what a bunch of snobs those guys are for having a par 3 contest where kids can caddy, or caddies are allowed to hit shots. Or how about the competition on 16th hole where the pros try to skip the ball across the pond onto the green. Is that snobby? Still bullish on Augusta.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

The Masters has been an important part of my life for over 30 years. As an Australian, I had 3 months taken off my life almost every year for a decade when Greg Norman was playing.
I like the tradition, but agree that some of it is a bit over the top. Hearing Faldo referring to a new "patrons' area" made me laugh out loud. I think it's sad that they banned McCord for a few (in their opinion) tasteless comments. Maybe if the extreme media requirement weren't in place we wouldn't revere the tournament as we do. Snedeker's post tournament was very moving and underscored the importance of The Masters as a sporting event. It's like he didn't even realsise it until he was swamped by the tradition, expectation and pressure.
What I find snobbish is the self conscious understatement of the British Open where -again, it's referred to as "The Open" and I even heard Osterhuis (sp?)the other day referring to Harringtom as being "the champion golfer of the year" with no other reference to the British Open. I know they've done it for a hundred years and that there would have been no confusion then, but that's the point. Also, when Wimbledon is referred to as "the championships". Don't get me wrong, I love every other thing about these events too. Strange thouigh, on my HD Tv, I was wondering if the azaleas weren't a little TOO pretty tis year.

What I find snobbish is the self conscious understatement of the British Open where -again, it's referred to as "The Open" and I even heard Osterhuis (sp?)the other day referring to Harringtom as being "the champion golfer of the year" with no other reference to the British Open. I know they've done it for a hundred years and that there would have been no confusion then, but that's the point. Also, when Wimbledon is referred to as "the championships".

Hi, Lefty

"I know they've done it for a hundred years..." It's rather more than that: it was first played in 1860, so the 150th anniversary is just two years away. To put it in context, at that time Australia was little more than Botany Bay, the US was on the verge of the Civil War and the USGA wouldn't be formed for another 34 years. The US Open was held for the first time in 1895. At the time, it was the ONLY golf tournament professionals were allowed to enter - anywhere in the world - so it was logical to call it simply 'The Open Golf Championship'. The 'champion golfer of the year' appellation, accorded to the winner, was in a way the antithesis of snobbery: prior to the Open, championships were club-based and only open to amateurs, so describing the Open winner as 'the champion golfer of the year' was cocking a bit of a snook at the establishment, such as it was at the time: opening up a competition to professionals was a radical step. 'Champion golfers' had previously all been amateurs, winner of their club or maybe county knock-out championship. As time passes, radical and revolutionary practice becomes accepted, then habit, then entrenched tradition. I don't have any objection to people calling it the 'British Open' and I don't know anyone who does - that's what I often call it myself, as it happens. The Claret Jug (ordered in 1870 and first presented to the winner the following year) has engraved on it 'The Golf Champion Trophy'. The 'champion golfers of the year' are listed on the plinth. At the time, it was the only one and in a world where golf was not as widely played as it is now, so the logic was so clear that anything else was pretty much unthinkable. Why a claret jug? Apparently, competitions between clubs at that time were often for side wagers of bottles or cases of wine, claret in particular. BTW - Australians have a great history at the Open and have tended to hold it in very high regard - and the feeling is reciprocated. Peter Thompson (five times winner), Greg Norman and Ian Baker-Finch (to name but three) never had any doubt about it. And the tradition is part of it - can you imagine winning a trophy with Young Tom Morris' name engraved on it?? There's a similar history behind Wimbledon but that would be way, way off topic.

With the exception of the music, I like everything about the Masters.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Hi, Lefty

I totally agree - and am aware of these excellent and very valid points. There are many golfers who would rate an Open victory more highly than the Masters, but when you have an Americancentric(!) audience, it leads to confusion - but - I agree, it shouldn't. I mean - if they say I went to London, England or Florence, Italy - you can see why they'd assume you were talking about The U.S. Open if you talked about the Open. !!!! (To our American friends:Yes-- I know about Athens Georgia and Paris Texas, etc.)

And - if I could choose, I'd have a (British) Open over a Masters, but I'd want to be damn sure people knew I was the British Open golf champion, rather than claiming to be a "champion golfer" !!! My point (and I'm sure you took it) was that by understating something, it can lead to misunderstanding and confusion in a world where golfers (and I've seen it on these boards) whinge about being on the fairway and having a sidehill lie!

I love (actually hate) how the top staff at the Master's take over the broadcast and push CBS aside whenever they feel like it.. like the guy who pushed Jim Nantz aside and did his thing at the Green Jacket presentation in the cabin.

That's Billy Payne. He's the Chairman at Augusta National. He's also the guy who was responsible for bringing the Olympics to Atlanta.

The Green Jacket is presented to the winner. Tell me, what other major sporting event has the announcer make the presentation to the champion?

TaylorMade r7 Quad Driver 9.5 Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade RAC OS Graphite Stiff
TaylorMade RAC Black Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees
TaylorMade TPA VII PutterMaxfli Black MaxHome Course

Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!