IGNORED

The masters is too fabricated

Borf
Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is reality if you play that course.

It sounds like you have a problem with the "super rich" that can afford to play. Will I ever be able to play that course, no. Do I hold that against them, no. I am not rich, but I don't carry a grudge against those that are.
They are super rich, only super rich members play here, the course is groomed an obscure amount, and you do not get a bad lie, this is just not reality

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before I guess thats why the masters is the masters, the people who run the course are in their own little world, which is not reality. They are super rich, only super rich members play here, the course is groomed an obscure amount, and you do not get a bad lie, this is just not reality, only at the masters does this happen, the masters is not reality!

then don't watch it.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

I think that the Masters is something like Heaven--sometimes we get a little bit of it and can always have the ultimate dream of getting there

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

From someone who plays on courses that resemble an inner city baseball field, I appreciate the condition of Augusta. Your fairways should look like that. I don't know anyone who wants to hit down the fairway and find their ball sitting atop duck or have their ball fall through an uncovered drain, etc. The course is hilly and you will find your ball below your feet, above it, uphill lie, downhill lie, etc. The greens are fast, surrounded by bunkers, rewarding good shots and penalizing bad ones.

That's my idea of golf. It's not about being a yard off the fairway and finding your ball in the grass; grass that's high enough to hide a two year old.

Furthermore, I disagree that it's only about the wealthy. For $900, I had the opportunity, like so many, to purchase a pass to all four days, including airfare. Additionally, it's dirt cheap to eat and drink on the grounds.

The Masters had a history that I did not appreciate. However, the course, attending the event and pricing is more than fair.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

uhh, borf, you're quickly losing your credibility in making your argument.

since when does a major have to mirror whatever muni you play in canada? is the US Open at Torrey more real for you since it's a municipal course? or is an ocean-side course not real to the people who live in Kansas? and this quote:
They are super rich, only super rich members play here, the course is groomed an obscure amount, and you do not get a bad lie, this is just not reality...

I guess you haven't seen US Opens or other tournaments at Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Merion, The Country Club, Olympic, Oakland Hills, Riviera (should I go on?).

again, the last thing the Masters can be called is fake, because whatever pretensions you feel that are rubbing you the wrong way have always been there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

I think you're missing the point. Golf isn't supposedly to be about hillbilly's and hot chicks. Watch NASCAR if you want that. Golf needs to be proper, following rules, and traditional. The Masters showcases everything golf should be in America.

I think you aren't seeing what he's saying. You can have all the tradition, all the old-school feel, and all the uncommercialized golfing you want without having to use only the word "patrons" to describe the gallery, playing elevator music when showing the leaderboard, and any of the other Masterisms that people seem to refer to as "tradition".

None of these aspects of The Masters have anything to do with the game of golf whatsoever.

Like I said before I guess thats why the masters is the masters, the people who run the course are in their own little world, which is not reality. They are super rich, only super rich members play here, the course is groomed an obscure amount, and you do not get a bad lie, this is just not reality, only at the masters does this happen, the masters is not reality!

Answer me this: How many golf courses have you played on that a major was held on?

Who cares if the people play there are rich? It's a private club and they can charge whatever they want. Have you ever played any sport on the same field/grounds that professionals play?

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

wow, with all this hate about the piano jingle you'd think no one has ever watched the NCAA tournament with the oh-so-familiar music lead-in or Fox Sports' music intro.

And the membership at Augusta National requires CBS to call the spectators patrons, just like they probably don't allow backward baseball caps, cell phones, or denim. It's their rule, and CBS follows it as they only sign short-term deals with ANGC.

I have a bigger problem with yahoos calling bunkers "sand traps" than I do spectators/patrons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

I think you aren't seeing what he's saying. You can have all the tradition, all the old-school feel, and all the uncommercialized golfing you want without having to use only the word "patrons" to describe the gallery, playing elevator music when showing the leaderboard, and any of the other Masterisms that people seem to refer to as "tradition".

You have a problem with the word "patron"? Merriam-Webster defines it as follows: "one who buys the goods or uses the services offered especially by an establishment" Seems like that describes a "fan" in the gallery who purchased a ticket to watch professional golfers play in a tournament on their private course. As for the music, would you rather have AC/DC and Jay-Z?

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

I have a bigger problem with

That is pretty distasteful especially after the site being called The Sand Trap-

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Answer me this: How many golf courses have you played on that a major was held on?

Sorry, I know the question wasn't directed towards me. I play at a club atleast twice a week that has held a major ('69 US Open) in addition to the '67 Ryder Cup, '93 US Amatuer, and mutliple Tour Championships. The two founders of the club have 4 Masters wins and 1 PGA Championship win between them. The surviving founder (Jack Burke) is one of the biggest proponents of playing "real" golf and not the overmanicured, perfectly green game it seems to be morphing into today.

I have a bigger problem with yahoos calling bunkers "sand traps" than I do spectators/patrons.

In a way, I completely agree with you.

That still doesn't mean the "patron" thing isn't annoying too.

You have a problem with the word "patron"? Merriam-Webster defines it as follows: "one who buys the goods or uses the services offered especially by an establishment"

It has nothign to do with the word itself but instead the snotty attitude that surrounds the event as a whole. To me, that attitude completely takes away from the game.

• Administrator
That is pretty distasteful especially after the site being called The Sand Trap-

No it's not. I didn't want another "golfxxxxxxx" domain and "thebunker.com" was taken.

The proper term is "bunker," not "sand trap." I don't call them sand traps on the golf course either... they're bunkers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always called bunkers "sand traps" interchangably throughout the years.

Who cares if Jack Burke doesn't like the idea of a perfectly manicured golf course. Should Augusta lower its standards to appease its very miniscule detractors?

There is a class and tradition at the Masters. Perhaps the club is very exclusive, but so what. Just because wealthy businessman seem to be a common denominator there doesn't make it a bad place. What don't people start an ultra exclusive club for lower-income fat plumbers from New York? Then we can bash and overgeneralize their lives for a while.

For all the advantages that have come along with the recent popularity of golf, the one major disadvantages are all the idiots who try to change it for the worse. This is a gentlemens game. There are rules, there is honor, there is tradition....there are even private clubs that don't allow any and all who feel they are entitled to everything in life. Seriously, if you don't like Augusta National and the Masters, turn off the TV, and possibly consider taking up another sport because you have just committed golf blasphemy.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

No it's not. I didn't want another "golfxxxxxxx" domain and "thebunker.com" was taken.

A little slang never hurt nobody!

Man, people sure are uptight in here!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!