IGNORED

Changing My Practice Routine, Influenced by LPGA Tour Winners at My Home Course

Nave

Hello everyone

To my surprise LPGA tour pro and 2017 US Open winner Park Sung-hyun has recently been practicing at my home course in Las Vegas every day.
There is a TPC facility nearby, but for some reason she and other players from Korea are hanging out at the low-key Siena GC.

I am sharing my story and learnings here.
It is my first time to ever see or meet a top tour pro in person and watch them regularly close-up. Maybe my observations are not new for you.

My observations are from regularly seeing them for two weeks on the practice range and on the course.
I did get a chance to speak with Park as I play twice a week and practice there regularly.

Practice Range:
Simply said one can tell that Park hits each shot with a purpose.
She spends hours on the range, but she practices very slowly and hits fewer balls in total than most folks do in one hour.
For example:
- Without hitting a ball, she starts with slow motion swings with an emphasis on hip movement and body part sequencing
- Then she steps back to the thinking zone behind the ball for 12-14 seconds each time (I actually timed it)
- Once she commits, she steps into the action zone and swings one practice swing and hits the ball always within 7 seconds (I timed it)
- She spends a long time in her finishing pose and then steps away to review recordings

Occasionally I see her spending minutes on fine tuning her stance only.
She literally stands and moves her feet and ball position, wiggles her hip, shifts weight from leg to leg.

On the Course:
During an afternoon off-peak time I had the tee time behind Park and got to observe her play.
She played so slow that I arrived to watch her tee off.
The reason she was playing slow is that she was analyzing each lie, target, and shot.
On the field she discussed her actions with another person who seemed to be another Korean professional player.

Eventually they offered me to pass them, and we got to chat a little.
(I also speak some Korean because I worked in corporate life in Seoul as an expat for many years).

Impact on me:
I play twice a week at least, and there are times when I play more often.
In hindsight I feel that I don't spend much time thinking about the purpose of my shots or the course strategy.
On the practice range I normally start with a plan, e.g.: to simulate playing 18 holes in my mind, or to focus on the 5-iron etc.
However, in comparison to Park, I hit way too many balls and I practice much faster - causing me early exhaustion and loss of concentration after about 30 minutes.
Therefore:
- I bought the book "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose"
- I have a practice goal before I go to the range
- I will focus on one or two elements that I want to improve at each practice session
- I will practice more often but less exhaustingly. I will try to improve my mental focus
- I will only play (e.g.: once a week) when I actually know which practice results I want to test on the course with a purpose
- For some time I will no longer just go play ... to play...

My current handicap is 15, so my explanations above should be taken lightly compared to the views of more experienced players.
I share my views purely as an excited less-skilled golfer. 

Best,
Nave

• Informative 1

Nave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Nave said:

She spends hours on the range, but she practices very slowly and hits fewer balls in total than most folks do in one hour.

I've taken to telling some of my golfers that when they practice, they should get the 35-ball bucket ($5) not the 70-ball bucket ($8). Then do this:

• Pick out the best five balls and set them aside. This leaves 30.
  • Take about 45 minutes to hit those 30 balls. Hit them at the speed at which they KNOW they're doing them properly, even if that's 80-yard 7-irons.
  • If they can do that, the last five balls… they get to do whatever they want with them. Blast them with a driver, whatever. If they don't, they have to really focus on the last five balls and hit them properly.

This takes them about 50-60 minutes in total.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik's point about taking your time with range balls changed my practice habits a few years ago (for the better).  One of the hazards of having a way to hit balls at home is that I'm not limited in the same way I would be if I paid for a finite bucket at the range.  It takes discipline at home to not just rake in the next ball (or pick up the previous one from the net).  But when I have that discipline, I know I'm practicing better.

My point is, this is a second for Erik's advice and OP's observation.  Besides, when we're at the range, we pay by the ball, not the hour, so we might as well get good practice for the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Take about 45 minutes to hit those 30 balls. Hit them at the speed at which they KNOW they're doing them properly, even if that's 80-yard 7-irons.

This is great and calls for a different mindset and mind-control. Thanks

Nave