IGNORED

Considering Hybrid

muskegman
Note: This thread is 6795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like to replace my 5wood as it is quite difficult to control unless I'm "on" which is like three shots in 5 months. Anyway, the Nickent Genex 3DX Ironwood seem like a good club for a great price. The #3+ has 18.5° loft which corresponds roughly to my 19° 904F. Does that sound reasonable? Any ideas?

What about shaft options? I'd be getting a stiff flex shaft. The following shafts are available:

Steel Uni-flex $79
UST Graphite $99
Aldila NV $129
I-Rod $129

I'm not locked into this purchase right now, just exploring some ideas.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking for a hybrid as well. I want one around the 18-19 degree range with a wood-like head. I've got the 503 that Raf is talking about and I love the thing. I've also got a 19 degree 904f and an old big bertha heaven wood, but with both of those, I end up fanning them to the right too often or can't get the distances right.

So, what I'm saying is, let me know what your research turns up. I'm in the same boat, just not motivated enough to look

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• Administrator
Look for my review on Friday, Jeff. If you want to take the TaylorMade Rescue Dual off my hands (brand new in bag - I got two AND a TP model), make an offer.

You probably don't want the 503.H. As I see it, the pros and cons of both are:

Pros
503.H Can hit low punch shots and stingers off the tee.
Rescue Great from the rough and really goes on 3/4 and 1/2 swings (punching out of trees, etc.)

Cons
503.H Not so great from thick, nasty rough or out of deep trees.
Rescue Not so great from the tee, where you want a lower ball flight and a good bit of run.

I like to hit a low stinger off the tee sometimes, and my home course sets up well for it (particularly the back nine, where I rarely hit driver some days). The 503.H is a great club... as is the TaylorMade. But they're good at different things.

Distance on a standard, normal swing is about the same with both.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I suggest getting a cheapo one from eBay to begin with. Try it out for a few weeks and if you like it enough, upgrade. I bought my Taylor Made from eBay (3 years old) and got it re-gripped and I love it.

Driver: 454
3-Wood: 980F
Irons: Comp-CT 4-SW
Wedge: 588 51 Degree
Utility: Rescue MidPutter: Mezza MonzaBall: NXT-TourCourse: Crow Nest Golf Club

Thanks for the information Erik... good stuff there. A couple of thoughts below:

Look for my review on Friday, Jeff. If you want to take the TaylorMade Rescue Dual off my hands (brand new in bag - I got two AND a TP model), make an offer.

I look foreword to Friday's review. I assume the clubs you've mentioned would all replace the 19° 5W? Here's my whole bag just for grins:

Driver: 10.5° 3W: 15° 5W: 19° 3I: 21.5° 4I: 24° 5I: 27° 6I: 30° 7I: 34° 8I: 38° 9I: 42° PW: 46° W: 54° W: 60° BTW, I'm likely getting the shaft replaced in my 3W Friday as my YS-6 Regular shaft feels too whippy... it is a bit soft in the tip according to my local club guru. It feels lighter and softer than my driver shaft and I want a similar feel in my woods. I don't like having to change my swing tempo for my 3 and 5W.
You probably don't want the 503.H. As I see it, the pros and cons of both are:

Versatility from the trees is good! I like being able to count on a club from the rough because unlike Tiger I don't do well with a long iron out of the rough.

Cons

I've got a short par-4 at home that I like to use the 5W off the tee because its just the right distance to the corner with 19° loft. It would be a great lay-up club off the tee if I could hit it strait, so the hybrid is a good idea for that.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I'm looking for a hybrid as well. I want one around the 18-19 degree range with a wood-like head. I've got the 503 that Raf is talking about and I love the thing. I've also got a 19 degree 904f and an old big bertha heaven wood, but with both of those, I end up fanning them to the right too often or can't get the distances right.

Yeah, consistency is a problem for me... granted, I could spend some more time with them and I'm sure that would help but I can see the benefit of a more iron like club for accuracy. We'll see.

So, what I'm saying is, let me know what your research turns up. I'm in the same boat, just not motivated enough to look

I'll let you know what I come up with, if anything. At the very least I'll be experimenting with reshafting my 3W soon.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
I'll let you know what I come up with, if anything. At the very least I'll be experimenting with reshafting my 3W soon.

I'd just move to the YS-6 S if I were you.

If you'd like, I could bring the extra hybrid to the Newport Cup and you can simply try (and buy?) it there. How's that? That won't give you a TON of time to practice, but it's like 3-4 weeks away, so you wouldn't have much time anyway.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd just move to the YS-6 S if I were you.

I'd like to take a look at whatever you've got there Erik at the Newport Cup.

Thanks.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

If you'd like, I could bring the extra hybrid to the Newport Cup and you can simply try (and buy?) it there. How's that? That won't give you a TON of time to practice, but it's like 3-4 weeks away, so you wouldn't have much time anyway.

If Jeff doesn't like, maybe I'll take a gander at it???

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• Administrator
The Callaway 20* Heavenwood is worth a try.

Talked to a very big retailer (and PGA Pro at a course) and he said the Heavenwoods are crap. They're not selling at all. Nobody hits them straight.

FWIW.

I never listen to reps,or pros,I try clubs myself.Campbell hit them straight enough to win the US Open and the World Matchplay.Mickelson aint to bad either.They also won a 'Big Test' in a recent UK magazine.You have heard just one opinion from someone who obviously doesn't like them.But to say 'no one hits then straight and they are crap' is just ridiculous and renders his opinion worthless.

Geek DCT 15* Accuflex 80MPT 51Ran Troom Grind 55Rife 2 Bar hybrid

• Administrator
I never listen to reps,or pros,I try clubs myself.Campbell hit them straight enough to win the US Open and the World Matchplay.Mickelson aint to bad either.They also won a 'Big Test' in a recent UK magazine.You have heard just one opinion from someone who obviously doesn't like them.But to say 'no one hits then straight and they are crap' is just ridiculous and renders his opinion worthless.

No, Dave. He's fitted well over 120 people this year alone for different clubs, and people travel 2 to 3 hours to be fit by this guy. Of those 120 people, 80% of them bought hybrids in the same class as the Heavenwood. He's sold one Heavenwood.

So it's clearly not just his opinion, but the opinions of 95 of 96 golfers who purchased (other) hybrids. You say you don't listen to reps or pros, but you cite a "Big Test" as proof? C'mon...

Lol,no not proof,just an alternate opinion.The Big Test in Todays Golfer was by a pro btw.

Its not crap and it can be hit straight, and he has generalised, albeit from his own persoanl experience.

Maybe its a club for better strikers,I dunno.Admittedly,its a slightly weird club to use.It sounds funny and looks funny at address,and it flies quite low compared to others I tested (shaft dependant).Maybe that was the problem with his tests,the majority of club golfers would want a high flying easy stop on a hybrid.

Ok,I admit to listening to pros,Michael Campbell said he loves it.

• Administrator
Lol,no not proof,just an alternate opinion.The Big Test in Todays Golfer was by a pro btw.

You seem to be missing the point, Dave...

You're offering one or two opinions (yours and that of some pro in some "Big Test"). This guy has access to the opinions of 120 (or 96) golfers explicitly looking to purchase a new hybrid per year. He fits club pros, he fits some touring pros, and he fits some average, recreational golfers too. "It's not crap and can be hit straight, and he has generalized" just comes off as almost an oxymoron. You're trying to convince us of your opinion by citing one opinion (or, again, two) while at the same time wildly trying to say that the opinions of 95 others are bunk. So, while I don't doubt that the club is good for some (after all, 1 in 96 bought it, and you like it), I offered the opinions of the pro (based on the opinions of 96 of his fittees) "for what it's worth" - FWIW. Take it or leave it... but when you're offering opinions, just be content to offer the opinions. No need to attempt to discredit anyone else's.

I am happy to discredit the opinion of this pro that the Callaway is crap and can't be hit straight.That is a worthless opinion.It can be hit straight,thats a fact.
I am happy to listen to other opinions,and I am perfectly entitled to challenge something as ridiculous as what your pro has said.

However,assuming some literary licence on his part,and some element of exageration,and even generalistion,the Heavenwood is not crap.It helped win the the US Open off the 18th tee I believe.

It may not be to everyones taste,but in my humble opinion,its not a 'crap' club.

You are are correct,opinions on the web are take it or leave it,but sorry,his opinion needed challenging,if only for some balance.

ps Gary Player,Seve,Arnold Palmer,Michael Campbell,Phil Mickelson amongst others currently use this club.Readers of this thread can now make their own minds up whether its crap.

Btw,the hybrid you use,I can't hit straight.I hook the TM into next week.But I would never describe it as crap.Its just me that can't hit it.

On a lighter note,and hopefully we can move on,I like you bag and wouldn't mind your opinion on the 905s (did you move from the 983?) and the 680s,particularly if you've hit the 690s.

Btw,the hybrid you use,I can't hit straight.I hook the TM into next week.But I would never describe it as crap.Its just me that can't hit it.

You shouldn't have given up on the TM after a few swings. I hooked it at first as well, but when I got the Taylor Made TP 19* and changed the weights to 8 on both the heel and toe I now hit a beautiful high draw with the club from any lie.

The only issue I have with the TM is the inability to hit stingers off the tee.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!