IGNORED

Bunkers. The Baked Out Kind

1) The practice bunkers at the driving range are full of sand. I can get out. NP. 

2) The bunkers on the course are very inconsistent. We've had some hot weather. Combined with water pump issues they got baked out. Well, most of them did. Most have a light dusting of sand over hardpan that you can't even dig your feet into. Just letting you know the conditions. And with the heat wave this week they'll be worse next week.

I have a low bounce 58/8 C-grind. My next wedge is a 54/10 S-grind. I have learned not to attempt a splash shot out of this because the club bounces off the hardpan and skulls the ball out, and it skitters across the green usually settling in the rough. I've tried chipping out, but I only get it out about a couple yards and still have a chip onto the green. The bunkers have lips that overhang so you can't putt out of them. 

I don't mind firm bunkers as long as there is give... i.e. I can dig my feet into the ground under the upper layer. But this stuff is ridiculous. 

Any suggestion about how to play these types of bunkers? 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play it like a pitch or chip from hardpan. Don't do the explosion shot.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Yes, you can chip it out.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets