IGNORED

Do you play it down in casual rounds?

ERC7.5
Note: This thread is 5860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you play it down in casual rounds

• Yes. Play it as it lies.
    • No. Givin' it a fluff/roll/lift, clean, place.
    • Depends.

At my club the course isn't extremely well-maintained and areas that would give you a free drop in a well-marked course simply are not marked. If I get a bad lie in a place that's obviously not as it should be, I'll move my ball.

There is one other rule I ignore, if I get a clump of mud on my ball when in the fairway, I clean it. There should not be mud on any fairway. The rough and any hazard is another matter entirely.

I rarely play for millions of dollars like the pros, and don't expect to ever do so; thus, I'm not so anal retentive about the pros' rules.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

if it's winter rules at the course (and up here it generally is until may) i'll play it down unless it's plugged or has mud on it. then i mark, lift, clean, place. i never touch it with my club.

drives me crazy when i see guys rolling the ball around with their club in the rough. it's the rough - you're not supposed to have a good lie.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

in casual rounds, like a couple holes after class with a couple buddies, sure ill move it around a little to improve a lie or something of that nature.

Other then that, im either playing straight up or playing an intense skins game, so in those situations definately playing it down
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I always play it down. It just looks too pedestrian to stand there rolling the ball on a tuft of grass while the rest of the group is playing real golf. Plus, I think improving the lie is mostly physiological. Some people don’t think they can hit it while it’s sitting down, when 9 times out of 10 it comes out the same way.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I am always posting my score, so I do play it down, except in the winter when we don't post. There's always a lot of iffy lies in the rough in the spring, but that's the rub of the green.

I would not trust anyone who doesn't and posts scores.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

In our foursome when we start a round we will declare if it is for score (handicap) or not.

If it is for score then everything is played down. If we are just having fun or just out for practice them we do roll the ball off rocks.

Our fairways are usually played winter rules until middle to end of May.

I really think playing everything down is the only way to play and I usually do that whether the other guys do or not.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

I generally play it "as is" unless I might damage a club or some of the course is just in crappy condition. I would encourage everyone to play it down. I learned this several years ago and my handicap has come down ever since.

Only touch it when they are punching fairways and then just make sure its not in a hole. As the rules & handicap chairman of our club, I have to set the example. Our club is pretty liberal on winter rules (and always play through the greens) after rain & such so we get plenty of opportunity to bump it although it never rains in California

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

Always play it as it lies - If you don't want to damage your clubs - declare the ball unplayable and take the penalty.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

Always play it down unless it's going to hurt the club. Rocks,cart paths, trees etc. Anyone can play from a good lie.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Unless it is an absolutely horrible lie, I play it down. If it is in a huge hole or something, I will move it. Then again, most of the time I am playing a mtach with my dad so I play it down anyways.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

95% of the time I'm playing for a score and thus, follow all the rules.

Yep, that's exactly the scienario for me. It depends if I'm out playing serious or just trying to work on some stuff.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I try to play every single round by all the rules (at least to my knowledge) without question. I say "try" because there are a few that I do fudge. If me or my buddies don't get range time, we always take two off the first. If I can't find a ball that I know is somewhere in the rough and there's a group behind us, I won't go back and re-hit, I'll just take a stroke and drop where I think I lost it. And finally, if I'm on a lesser maintained course, there are times in the fairway where you might have some odd lie where there's a clump of random grass or the grass is dead and the ball's lying on dirt. In those instances, I bump it to a clean lie (but again, only in the fairway). But as far as playing it down, I always play it down unless I'm in a situation as described above.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

• 2 weeks later...
I depends on the situation. We play match play alot and will only roll the ball if we all agree. Some of the courses we play here have areas with a lot of rocks and roots. On those courses we play the "rock and root rule" which is, if it's gonna damage your club, move it.

In my bag:
Launcher 460 9 degree aldila stiff shaft
13 degree fairway wood aldila stiff shaft
Halo 2i hybrid stiff shaft
CG4 irons 4 thru PW regular graphite shaftsCG10 wedges 52,56, and 60 degreeOdyssey Putter #4

No I do not always play it down...

The courses I play are not always in the best condition, so if i hit the fairway and find myself with a really bad lie, I will fix it. I will not move a ball which is not on the fairway though, and I don't consider a ball which is not sitting perfectly to be a "bad lie"...

So "It Depends"
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

playing with partners I always play it as it lies, but I do play alot during mid-afternoon weekdays by myself and I will fluff up a ball or hit another ball should I not like the 1st shot....(I don't keep score when I play by myself) I'm only looking to improve and hit quality shots....

The only time I roll is in my own fairway during league play which is approved as a local rule, and even at that it may be once or twice in a round. A vast majority of the time I leave it alone. Any other time I play according to the rules.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!