IGNORED

Upgrade From Adams A7?

So I've had my a7s for a while I think 8 years. I got fitted for them and turns out I'm standard length, standard lie, regular flex steel shaft fit. I lost my 7 a couple years ago and my 3 hybrid longer ago. I'm looking at a replacement for the 7 but I'm like $50 to replace a 12 year old used club. I think I paid $400 for them new (3h-pw). I played my 3rd round this year and turned in a 95 and I believe my clubhead speed is 90-100. So I'm kind of struggling to figure what sets out there that fit what I want for my ability level (not a total beginner but not a super serious golfer either). But I'd like to play more and am considering joining my local CC so replacing my irons might make sense.

I like the a7 but I kind of hate the lower irons as they gradually switch from blade to fattie around 6/7iron. I think I'd prefer a more forgiving blade or even cavity back that isn't a fat back, I don't really want to see the back of the clubhead when looking down at the ball while swinging an iron. Also want to avoid something geared towards low or super high handicap.

Looking in the $400-$600 range for 4 - PW that will last me the better part of a decade.

I know to go and hit before I buy, but what sets should I consider? I haven't looked into clubs in years and it's sort of overwhelming to even go into dicks or something with no idea what I want to hit or what I should be looking for so asking here for suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

Edited by SullyGolf

I really like the A7s, but that's not the point.

First, we should find out if they're wrong for you, although "doesn't have a seven iron" is a pretty strong point against an iron set.  There might be better ways to spend the same money, such as lessons (and a replacement 7-iron).  You might, for the same money, improve quite a bit.  I don't know enough about your local CC to know if showing up with A7s would be a problem.  I also don't know your budget -- I took up golf in graduate school, and a lot of my financial habits with respect to golf still shine through.

By now, I am sure you know that ball striking, especially approach shots, are one of the biggest determinants for improving your score.  So you're right to make sure we get this right.

OEMs used to do demo days on the regular, and it feels like I am seeing this less frequently lately.  Maybe that's just near me.  I'd definitely look into Ping G- and I- series irons and Titleist AP2s.   You'll want to get fit for things to determine the mix, and a lot of these irons do have the availability to "mix and match" with more forgiving longer irons and "better player" short irons, kind of like your A7 set. 

If you aren't wedded to name brand, something like the Maltby KE4 Tour+ are pretty good;  I played a predecessor set for several years.   GolfWorks typically does free assembly if you order the "standard pack."   Unfortunately, those aren't the kind you can typically find in a store to sample.  Golf Galaxy might carry them?  

I would recommend buying at a golf-focused store over a store like Dick's.  I don't get the impression that the latter hires people who are into golf, but rather generalists -- that's fine for some sporting goods, or for less serious pursuits, or shoes, or mild interests like if you need a set of clubs for two rounds a year at a hit and giggle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I really like the A7s, but that's not the point.

First, we should find out if they're wrong for you, although "doesn't have a seven iron" is a pretty strong point against an iron set.  There might be better ways to spend the same money, such as lessons (and a replacement 7-iron).  You might, for the same money, improve quite a bit.  I don't know enough about your local CC to know if showing up with A7s would be a problem.  I also don't know your budget -- I took up golf in graduate school, and a lot of my financial habits with respect to golf still shine through.

By now, I am sure you know that ball striking, especially approach shots, are one of the biggest determinants for improving your score.  So you're right to make sure we get this right.

OEMs used to do demo days on the regular, and it feels like I am seeing this less frequently lately.  Maybe that's just near me.  I'd definitely look into Ping G- and I- series irons and Titleist AP2s.   You'll want to get fit for things to determine the mix, and a lot of these irons do have the availability to "mix and match" with more forgiving longer irons and "better player" short irons, kind of like your A7 set. 

If you aren't wedded to name brand, something like the Maltby KE4 Tour+ are pretty good;  I played a predecessor set for several years.   GolfWorks typically does free assembly if you order the "standard pack."   Unfortunately, those aren't the kind you can typically find in a store to sample.  Golf Galaxy might carry them?  

I would recommend buying at a golf-focused store over a store like Dick's.  I don't get the impression that the latter hires people who are into golf, but rather generalists -- that's fine for some sporting goods, or for less serious pursuits, or shoes, or mild interests like if you need a set of clubs for two rounds a year at a hit and giggle. 

Thanks for the reply!

I was a range rat for some years so my iron shots are probably up there in terms of strengths of my game. Hence shooting a 95 where I think I hit like 6 GIR and only missed on 1 of the par 3s (which was about 4inches left of the apron) in the rough around the green and then failing to birdie a single hole. Definitely if I was talking "how to spend $400 to improve the most?" I'd think some short game lessons and a 7 iron replacement would be the ticket.

My local CC is VERY relaxed, small coastal town and I don't think I want to say how much the fee is because I've never seen one so low, so I don't think rocking A7s is going to put me in  clown territory there. But my A7 are also getting up there in age, definitely need to be regripped and then  I need to replace my 7 and probably should replace my 3 and at that point I'm very close to being at new iron set territory.

So my budget would be the $400-$600 range with some wiggle room either way, I also wouldn't mind playing a good condition used set if it could get me into AP2s or something if those sound like a decent fit for me. I've been eying AP2's for a long time. Definitely not wedded to some brand, just looking and I see stuff like Rogue, XXIO etc.. and feeling a bit lost trying to pick a few sets I want to try when I drag my butt up to golf warehouse or over to dick's (so I don't have to ask for advice, just ask to hit the clubs).

Edited by SullyGolf

22 minutes ago, SullyGolf said:

Thanks for the reply!

I was a range rat for some years so my iron shots are probably up there in terms of strengths of my game. Hence shooting a 95 where I think I hit like 6 GIR and only missed on 1 of the par 3s (which was about 4inches left of the apron) in the rough around the green and then failing to birdie a single hole. Definitely if I was talking "how to spend $400 to improve the most?" I'd think some short game lessons and a 7 iron replacement would be the ticket.

Short game is overrated unless it's a weakness of yours.  If you know your "tweener" yardages, you can typically have a "good enough" short game for most circumstances, at least at our level.  

Here's more info about the tweener yardages: 

At our level, I'm also a big fan of tracking "GIRPs" -- essentially, how often you have putter-in-hand (apron counts!).  A player looking to break 90 regularly should be happy with 13-14 per round.

28 minutes ago, SullyGolf said:

My local CC is VERY relaxed, small coastal town and I don't think I want to say how much the fee is because I've never seen one so low, so I don't think rocking A7s is going to put me in  clown territory there. But my A7 are also getting up there in age, definitely need to be regripped and then  I need to replace my 7 and probably should replace my 3 and at that point I'm very close to being at new iron set territory.

So my budget would be the $400-$600 range with some wiggle room either way, I also wouldn't mind playing a good condition used set if it could get me into AP2s or something if those sound like a decent fit for me. I've been eying AP2's for a long time. Definitely not wedded to some brand, just looking and I see stuff like Rogue, XXIO etc.. and feeling a bit lost trying to pick a few sets I want to try when I drag my butt up to golf warehouse or over to dick's (so I don't have to ask for advice, just ask to hit the clubs).

Under the circumstances in the first one, I definitely agree with the calculation, although most iron sets these days are 4-G, so the replacement for the three probably is a separate purchase (if you even go with it).  

In any case, I'll stop trying to talk you out of it, because it looks like the upgrade is the right choice.  

I have no idea what the golf shop deal is like for you, or what your specs are.  If you're able to play standard length and lie for some clubs and know your shaft flex (or even better, shaft preferences), you can usually find a good used set.  At the Roger Dunn near me, one could spend a good hour looking through all the used irons, nicely organized by head brand and shaft.   I did this for a hybrid recently, where I knew I was fit for standard loft and lie by Titleist, and exactly which shaft to use.  I found a hybrid I almost bought new a few years ago in the used bin, great condition, with my exact specs.  It's in my bag now. 

I think Golfer's Warehouse is the name they go by in parts of the northeast, so I think we're thinking of the same stores.

I am jealous of reasonably priced CCs.  The ones near me... I don't know their prices and I'm afraid to ask.  Probably out of my budget range.  

-----

So, I guess the next question:  do you know your specs?  That is, do you know if you fit standard length and lie?  Do you know what shaft flex, or even better, variances with shafts, work for you?  I don't know how likely it is if they have changed since you were fit for your A7s.  I know, for example, my woods and irons have different fitting shaft flex specs.   But I also got fit for each by the OEMs I was buying from (In my case, Ping for irons and Titleist for woods).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Short game is overrated unless it's a weakness of yours.  If you know your "tweener" yardages, you can typically have a "good enough" short game for most circumstances, at least at our level.  

Here's more info about the tweener yardages: 

At our level, I'm also a big fan of tracking "GIRPs" -- essentially, how often you have putter-in-hand (apron counts!).  A player looking to break 90 regularly should be happy with 13-14 per round.

Under the circumstances in the first one, I definitely agree with the calculation, although most iron sets these days are 4-G, so the replacement for the three probably is a separate purchase (if you even go with it).  

In any case, I'll stop trying to talk you out of it, because it looks like the upgrade is the right choice.  

I have no idea what the golf shop deal is like for you, or what your specs are.  If you're able to play standard length and lie for some clubs and know your shaft flex (or even better, shaft preferences), you can usually find a good used set.  At the Roger Dunn near me, one could spend a good hour looking through all the used irons, nicely organized by head brand and shaft.   I did this for a hybrid recently, where I knew I was fit for standard loft and lie by Titleist, and exactly which shaft to use.  I found a hybrid I almost bought new a few years ago in the used bin, great condition, with my exact specs.  It's in my bag now. 

I think Golfer's Warehouse is the name they go by in parts of the northeast, so I think we're thinking of the same stores.

I am jealous of reasonably priced CCs.  The ones near me... I don't know their prices and I'm afraid to ask.  Probably out of my budget range.  

-----

So, I guess the next question:  do you know your specs?  That is, do you know if you fit standard length and lie?  Do you know what shaft flex, or even better, variances with shafts, work for you?  I don't know how likely it is if they have changed since you were fit for your A7s.  I know, for example, my woods and irons have different fitting shaft flex specs.   But I also got fit for each by the OEMs I was buying from (In my case, Ping for irons and Titleist for woods).  

Yeah I am standard length and standard lie. I distinctly remember getting fit and doing all the measurements and the guy being like "good news! you're perfectly average" kind of a blow to the ego but good to know I can use off the shelf standard clubs. When we did shafts I wound being best with steel and standard flex, graphite stiff was 2nd but I really preferred the steel and I am a stiff flex on driver / 3 wood. 

Yeah I'm in MA, small coastal town in the southern part of the state. We actually have 3 CC's here the one I'm interested in is $2500/yr another is like 14k and the fanciest one is 35k "initiation" and I don't know the annual. We have quite a few wealthy types living on the waterfront so plenty of stuff around here to cater to them......

Maybe I'll head up to Joe and Lee's or 3balls warehouse those are about 45min from me and usually have ok deals on used stuff if sift through it. I was kind of wondering if there were any new, successor type clubs the A7 or similar price / performance sets that had come out by competitors in recent years. Have most iron sets gone to buying individual clubs instead of sets?

Looking at AP2 I see ton's of different models, does it really matter that much with them? Thoughts on taylor made or XXIO irons? Sorry for 15 questions just soo much  on the market it's worse than picking computer parts.

Edited by SullyGolf

1 hour ago, SullyGolf said:

Yeah I am standard length and standard lie. I distinctly remember getting fit and doing all the measurements and the guy being like "good news! you're perfectly average" kind of a blow to the ego but good to know I can use off the shelf standard clubs. When we did shafts I wound being best with steel and standard flex, graphite stiff was 2nd but I really preferred the steel and I am a stiff flex on driver / 3 wood. 

Great.  We have similar fittings -- I'm also on regular flex steel for my irons and stiff graphite for woods.  I don't bother with a 3W, but that's another topic.  

Yeah I'm in MA, small coastal town in the southern part of the state. We actually have 3 CC's here the one I'm interested in is $2500/yr another is like 14k and the fanciest one is 35k "initiation" and I don't know the annual. We have quite a few wealthy types living on the waterfront so plenty of stuff around here to cater to them......

Maybe I'll head up to Joe and Lee's or 3balls warehouse those are about 45min from me and usually have ok deals on used stuff if sift through it. I was kind of wondering if there were any new, successor type clubs the A7 or similar price / performance sets that had come out by competitors in recent years. Have most iron sets gone to buying individual clubs instead of sets?

Looking at AP2 I see ton's of different models, does it really matter that much with them? Thoughts on taylor made or XXIO irons? Sorry for 15 questions just soo much  on the market it's worse than picking computer parts.

Nice to hear you have good CC options near you.  

The A7 was a really cool set, but if you got it, you pretty much got what they suggested -- you couldn't decide you wanted GI 5-G, an SGI 4 iron, and a 3 hybrid, nor could you get 3-4-5 hybrids, SGI 6 and 7, and GI 8-G.  The set was 3,4 hybrid, 5 SGI, 6-G GI and that was that.

By contrast, if you were buying a brand new Titleist APs a few years ago (when that was the latest models), you could choose a mix of AP2 and AP1 or get them suggested to you.  The same was true when I got my Ping irons -- my plan was to get a suggestion for where to start the longest iron, and get that in a G400, down to wherever they thought I should get that year's I-series iron, and finish the bag with those.  Ultimately, they suggested I get G400 for the whole thing -- and I spent some time with the fitter hitting pitching and gap wedges in both series on a launch monitor (thank goodness it was a free fitting and not pay-by-the-hour).   I was convinced there would be a breakpoint, but sure enough, I was hitting the G-series better than the I the whole way down.  A friend of mine was fit before I was by the same guy and ended up with 5-7 G-series and 8 on down in I-series.  We're both happy with our sets.

If you were buying new today, you could do the same with Ping's G-425 and I-435s and, I think, Titleist's T-series irons (the ones named like early Terminator models).   One downside of buying used is that they typically sell irons in sets, so it's whatever someone traded in.  If all someone traded in is the "better player" irons starting at 7, that's what you get.  And if you want a 4-iron or don't want a 5-iron, it's dependent on what the set being sold has.

As for differences in AP2s, the difference is year.  I don't think it'll make a difference for you (or for me).  If you were a Titleist tour staff member, you might have an opinion on the differences.  Or did you mean AP2 vs AP1 (and there may have been an AP3 in there at some point)?

Lastly, irons are marketed as sets, and are intended to be put together as such -- you probably aren't buying a Callaway PW and a Titleist 9I and a TaylorMade 8I and so on.  But a trend has been to have two sets of irons, one marketed at folks like me and one marketed at better players, with the ability to mix the two (or three) sets.  For example, Ping's G- and I- series irons now might not have matching lofts (with good reason that I can get into), but are designed that if you have the 7-iron and 8-iron from different sets, you should have appropriate gapping between the two, regardless of which 7- and which 8- you have.   But if you want to start your irons at 4, or 5, or 6, or whatever, you can do that conveniently.    I start my irons at 5.  My mom starts hers at 6.  Two of my friends carry 2-irons.  

Meanwhile, ask all the questions you want, both in this thread and otherwise.  And stick around TST, hopefully we can help your game too 🙂  

-- Michael | My swing! 

20 hours ago, SullyGolf said:

You may want to get fit even though you think you are standard standard. I was in the same boat, got fit around 2010 at standard standard so in 2018ish I bought some clubs off the shelf thinking I was standard standard.

Well I went to my local pro this summer to have him check them for me, and turns out they were 3 degrees too flat for my swing. He said that he frequently sees standard clubs are not the same from the manufacturer, and you should always get them checked and bent after you get them, and additionally checked every season.

:whistle:

24 minutes ago, jshots said:

You may want to get fit even though you think you are standard standard. I was in the same boat, got fit around 2010 at standard standard so in 2018ish I bought some clubs off the shelf thinking I was standard standard.

Well I went to my local pro this summer to have him check them for me, and turns out they were 3 degrees too flat for my swing. He said that he frequently sees standard clubs are not the same from the manufacturer, and you should always get them checked and bent after you get them, and additionally checked every season.

Thanks, that's a good point. My swing has also changed and become more consistent since my last fitting, it probably wouldn't hurt to do that again. One thing I've noticed on good hits is that my ball flight is very high, which I've been told is a good thing but the few times I've played with lower cappers they've been like "damn that's a high shot!" not indicating if it's good or bad. Wonder if I'm giving up distance on my irons as a result (155ish 8 iron) or if maybe I should be moving up to a stiff shaft.

Hmm something else to consider.

19 hours ago, Shindig said:

Great.  We have similar fittings -- I'm also on regular flex steel for my irons and stiff graphite for woods.  I don't bother with a 3W, but that's another topic.  

Nice to hear you have good CC options near you.  

The A7 was a really cool set, but if you got it, you pretty much got what they suggested -- you couldn't decide you wanted GI 5-G, an SGI 4 iron, and a 3 hybrid, nor could you get 3-4-5 hybrids, SGI 6 and 7, and GI 8-G.  The set was 3,4 hybrid, 5 SGI, 6-G GI and that was that.

By contrast, if you were buying a brand new Titleist APs a few years ago (when that was the latest models), you could choose a mix of AP2 and AP1 or get them suggested to you.  The same was true when I got my Ping irons -- my plan was to get a suggestion for where to start the longest iron, and get that in a G400, down to wherever they thought I should get that year's I-series iron, and finish the bag with those.  Ultimately, they suggested I get G400 for the whole thing -- and I spent some time with the fitter hitting pitching and gap wedges in both series on a launch monitor (thank goodness it was a free fitting and not pay-by-the-hour).   I was convinced there would be a breakpoint, but sure enough, I was hitting the G-series better than the I the whole way down.  A friend of mine was fit before I was by the same guy and ended up with 5-7 G-series and 8 on down in I-series.  We're both happy with our sets.

If you were buying new today, you could do the same with Ping's G-425 and I-435s and, I think, Titleist's T-series irons (the ones named like early Terminator models).   One downside of buying used is that they typically sell irons in sets, so it's whatever someone traded in.  If all someone traded in is the "better player" irons starting at 7, that's what you get.  And if you want a 4-iron or don't want a 5-iron, it's dependent on what the set being sold has.

As for differences in AP2s, the difference is year.  I don't think it'll make a difference for you (or for me).  If you were a Titleist tour staff member, you might have an opinion on the differences.  Or did you mean AP2 vs AP1 (and there may have been an AP3 in there at some point)?

Lastly, irons are marketed as sets, and are intended to be put together as such -- you probably aren't buying a Callaway PW and a Titleist 9I and a TaylorMade 8I and so on.  But a trend has been to have two sets of irons, one marketed at folks like me and one marketed at better players, with the ability to mix the two (or three) sets.  For example, Ping's G- and I- series irons now might not have matching lofts (with good reason that I can get into), but are designed that if you have the 7-iron and 8-iron from different sets, you should have appropriate gapping between the two, regardless of which 7- and which 8- you have.   But if you want to start your irons at 4, or 5, or 6, or whatever, you can do that conveniently.    I start my irons at 5.  My mom starts hers at 6.  Two of my friends carry 2-irons.  

Meanwhile, ask all the questions you want, both in this thread and otherwise.  And stick around TST, hopefully we can help your game too 🙂  

Have you seen the Callaway Mavrick in person or tried them?

Looks like I can get a 4-pw set for about $600 which is just about right on the money for me. Seems like they are pretty well geared towards my level of iron play as well.

Have you seen the Callaway Mavrick in person or tried them?

Looks like I can get a 4-pw set for about $600 which is just about right on the money for me. Seems like they are pretty well geared towards my level of iron play as well.

I haven't looked into them, sorry.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, SullyGolf said:

So I've had my a7s for a while I think 8 years. I got fitted for them and turns out I'm standard length, standard lie, regular flex steel shaft fit. I lost my 7 a couple years ago and my 3 hybrid longer ago. I'm looking at a replacement for the 7 but I'm like $50 to replace a 12 year old used club. I think I paid $400 for them new (3h-pw). I played my 3rd round this year and turned in a 95 and I believe my clubhead speed is 90-100. So I'm kind of struggling to figure what sets out there that fit what I want for my ability level (not a total beginner but not a super serious golfer either). But I'd like to play more and am considering joining my local CC so replacing my irons might make sense.

I like the a7 but I kind of hate the lower irons as they gradually switch from blade to fattie around 6/7iron. I think I'd prefer a more forgiving blade or even cavity back that isn't a fat back, I don't really want to see the back of the clubhead when looking down at the ball while swinging an iron. Also want to avoid something geared towards low or super high handicap.

Looking in the $400-$600 range for 4 - PW that will last me the better part of a decade.

I know to go and hit before I buy, but what sets should I consider? I haven't looked into clubs in years and it's sort of overwhelming to even go into dicks or something with no idea what I want to hit or what I should be looking for so asking here for suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

A lot to unpack there. Telling somebody what clubs to buy is like telling someone what car to buy. It depends.... 

I'll just add this Tour Edge and Wilson make quality clubs which you could get new and fitted in your price range and are generally available everywhere. There are DOC (direct to consumer) brands like PXG and Sub 70 which are solid and you can order to your spec. You can probably get them in your price range. 

Opinions are like butt-holes everyone has one and everyone else's stinks. But in my opinion. If I were you I'd continue to play the clubs you have and just replace the 7-iron. Or not, depending on how often you use it. Or what your gapping looks like. Let's say you hit your 8 iron 150 yards. If you hit your 6 iron 160 yards.... well, then why would you want a 7 iron? Anyway, if you play the clubs you have and join your local CC, you can test other members clubs when you play with them. Just say. "Hey, nice clubs. I'm thinking about new ones. May I hit one?" That way you can get to test a lot of stuff. 

Black Friday sales on discount sites like Rock Bottom Golf can be enticing. And that's not too far away. Or wait a little while longer when new stuff starts coming out because all of this year's stuff will start to be discounted more and more. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

A lot to unpack there. Telling somebody what clubs to buy is like telling someone what car to buy. It depends.... 

I'll just add this Tour Edge and Wilson make quality clubs which you could get new and fitted in your price range and are generally available everywhere. There are DOC (direct to consumer) brands like PXG and Sub 70 which are solid and you can order to your spec. You can probably get them in your price range. 

Opinions are like butt-holes everyone has one and everyone else's stinks. But in my opinion. If I were you I'd continue to play the clubs you have and just replace the 7-iron. Or not, depending on how often you use it. Or what your gapping looks like. Let's say you hit your 8 iron 150 yards. If you hit your 6 iron 160 yards.... well, then why would you want a 7 iron? Anyway, if you play the clubs you have and join your local CC, you can test other members clubs when you play with them. Just say. "Hey, nice clubs. I'm thinking about new ones. May I hit one?" That way you can get to test a lot of stuff. 

Black Friday sales on discount sites like Rock Bottom Golf can be enticing. And that's not too far away. Or wait a little while longer when new stuff starts coming out because all of this year's stuff will start to be discounted more and more. 

Ok that's perfect. I'll probably wait till BF at the very least, this isn't an urgent matter.

I'm having a hard time finding a single a7 7 iron (at least one priced reasonably), it does fit the gap for me between 150 - 165/170 though. I found a play it again selling one, offered them $40 and they said no, I don't know if they realize you can buy entire used A7 sets for $180 🤷‍♂️.

I definitely miss the 7 iron though it was my all purpose club, I also hate taking a bit off the swing on my 6 or trying to "hammer" my 8 from the tee box or fairway.  Don't know if I can get over my feelings towards Wilson, but I haven't really heard of Tour Edge, PXG or Sub70 I can take a look into those. I'll try to get to a dicks or GW to hit some clubs to make sure standard / standard is still what feels best to me and to check my clubhead speed before deciding on shafts. Then maybe I'll just pull the trigger on something on BF even if it's a few years old (not like I've ever used the newest type of club anyways).

Edited by SullyGolf

4 minutes ago, SullyGolf said:

Ok that's perfect. I'll probably wait till BF at the very least, this isn't an urgent matter.

I'm having a hard time finding a single a7 7 iron (at least one priced reasonably), it does fit the gap for me between 150 - 165/170 though. I found a play it again selling one, offered them $40 and they said no, I don't know if they realize you can buy entire used A7 sets for $180 🤷‍♂️.

I definitely miss the 7 iron though it was my all purpose club and I have definitely felt it missing, I hate taking a bit off the swing on my 6 or trying to "hammer" my 8 from the tee box or fairway.  Don't know if I can get over my feelings towards Wilson, but I haven't really heard of Tour Edge, PXG or Sub70 I can take a look into those. I'll try to get to a dicks or GW to hit some clubs to make sure standard / standard is still what feels best to me and to check my clubhead speed before deciding on shafts. Then maybe I'll just pull the trigger on something on BF even if it's a few years old (not like I've ever used the newest type of club anyways).

This may work for you.

s-l400.jpg

Gender: Men, Dexterity: Right-Handed, Shaft Material: Steel, Shaft Model: Performance Lite 85, Length: 37.5", Lie: Standard, Flex: Regular, Grip: Adams Velvet, Grip Size: Standard, Condition Rating: 7.

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This may work for you.

s-l400.jpg

Gender: Men, Dexterity: Right-Handed, Shaft Material: Steel, Shaft Model: Performance Lite 85, Length: 37.5", Lie: Standard, Flex: Regular, Grip: Adams Velvet, Grip Size: Standard, Condition Rating: 7.

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid the OS models though. I really don't like the over sized backs, at least I think that is what OS is.

Eh, there are others out there just put "Adams A7 individual iron" into your Ebay search bar and you'll get like 40 something results. One may work out for you. At least to get through this season. 

Good luck.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Eh, there are others out there just put "Adams A7 individual iron" into your Ebay search bar and you'll get like 40 something results. One may work out for you. At least to get through this season. 

Good luck.

Yeah it seems damn near impossible to find the regular steel flex a7 7 iron under $50ish anywhere. There are a bunch but almost none are steel / regular / righty, ah well.

Looks like the best I can do is an xxio forged 7 iron for $30....

I'll probably just ride it out till BF, I'm not trying to get a handicap on paper or anything this year anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SullyGolf said:

I definitely miss the 7 iron though it was my all purpose club, I also hate taking a bit off the swing on my 6 or trying to "hammer" my 8 from the tee box or fairway.  Don't know if I can get over my feelings towards Wilson, but I haven't really heard of Tour Edge, PXG or Sub70 I can take a look into those. I'll try to get to a dicks or GW to hit some clubs to make sure standard / standard is still what feels best to me and to check my clubhead speed before deciding on shafts. Then maybe I'll just pull the trigger on something on BF even if it's a few years old (not like I've ever used the newest type of club anyways).

When you're playing, if you would go for the 7-iron, consider the shot instead of trying to fit the distance.  "If I could hit a 7-iron and make myself more likely to miss long or miss short, which would I choose?"  Use that to pick a club, then just play a normal shot.  It's very unlikely you're facing a shot where 7-iron is the perfect club, but both 8- and 6- irons will put you into big trouble.  If you're playing TPC Sawgrass and a 7-iron is needed for you at #17, that's a different story.  

As for the other brands, I hadn't heard of Sub70 until this post, but PXG shows up a lot but I don't know what to make of them.  Tour Edge makes some very popular woods and hybrids -- they show up in a lot of Tour players' bags, despite that Tour Edge won't pay a player to use them.   

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

PXG shows up a lot but I don't know what to make of them.  

I'm a fan of PXG. I got fit for them at a local club and have really enjoyed them. I bought Gen 2's two seasons ago, right when Gen 4's had just come out. They were selling the GEN 2's for $59 per club, custom fit, and built to my specs. (How could I pass that up?) 

Early this season I added a PXG 3-wood which I got fitted for at the same club. Now I do like my irons, BUT You may one day have to pry the 3-wood my cold dead hands. I never thought the Cobra F7 3-wood would ever be replaced in my bag. BUT I actually prefer this PXG GEN 4 0341XF 3-wood. Not likely to replace it any time soon. 

@SullyGolf There are some that would disagree (and have), but I think the A7 (not A7OS) was a great starter set of irons & hybrids.  No crazy offset, not a big profile, forgiving.

As you’re also considering the used route, I think it’s worth looking at the Mizuno JPX or Mizuno MP HMB.  I personally know two people who “graduated” to those after starting out with the A7, and were very happy.  Titleist AP1 and AP2 could also be good options.  Hopefully there’s a golf shop near by that you can try before you buy.