IGNORED

How Much Clubhead Speed Is Generated by Forearm Rotation?

Warlock

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Warlock said:

You mean velocity= radius x angular velocity?

I mean that a club might be traveling the same speed, but if it's at a shorter radius, when you lengthen that radius out it can be traveling faster. It still has the "unhinge" move left to add speed.

An uncocked wrist will also increase the MOI of the 'lead arm/club' unit, therefore its angular velocity will decrease even as the radius increases.

It's not a closed system.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

I mean that a club might be traveling the same speed, but if it's at a shorter radius, when you lengthen that radius out it can be traveling faster. It still has the "unhinge" move left to add speed.

It's not a closed system.

So, if I've interpreted this correctly:

1. SIM1 - The 'In Plane MOF' unhinged the wrist and angularly accelerated the clubhead earlier in the downswing than SIM3. This is why the clubhead speed could be nearly the same as SIM3 (hinge intact ) at the 0.2 sec mark.  This 'In Plane MOF' will continue accelerating the clubhead until impact. 

2. SIM3 -  The 'In Plane MOF ' that starts to unhinge the wrist at 0.2sec is greater than SIM1 and will accelerate the clubhead to an even greater speed than SIM1 by impact.  That this forms most of that 22% increase in clubhead speed plus maybe a little extra speed caused by the active musculature rotation of the forearms.

How am I doing? 

Edited by Warlock

Hobby is studying golf biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap and play only 7-8  times a year for fun scoring between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focus cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

Found another  interesting article by Dr Sasho MacKenzie , so maybe that 22% increase in clubhead speed is due to linear work applied to the club and not forearm rotation. In the original article that I mentioned in my opening post he said:

"The clubhead speed for Sim3 (44.1 m/s) was 22% higher than that generated during Sim1 (36.2 m/s), which indicates as to how much active rotation of the forearm from a muscular torque can contribute to clubhead speed"

Here is another article I found where he conducted regression testing (which I'm not too familiar with to be honest):

Forces Applied During the Swing (rccssc.ca)

It says the following:

Linear Work predicts 90 % of the variability in CHS by itself

Angular Work adds extra 9% (does predict 44% if entered alone first)

I'm assuming that this recent article is more up to date on what can increase clubhead speed.

Hobby is studying golf biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap and play only 7-8  times a year for fun scoring between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focus cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

GIF by Achievement Hunter

• Funny 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
On 9/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, Warlock said:

1. SIM1 - The 'In Plane MOF' unhinged the wrist and angularly accelerated the clubhead earlier in the downswing than SIM3. This is why the clubhead speed could be nearly the same as SIM3 (hinge intact ) at the 0.2 sec mark.  This 'In Plane MOF' will continue accelerating the clubhead until impact. 

Possibly, sure.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, Warlock said:

2. SIM3 -  The 'In Plane MOF ' that starts to unhinge the wrist at 0.2sec is greater than SIM1 and will accelerate the clubhead to an even greater speed than SIM1 by impact.  That this forms most of that 22% increase in clubhead speed plus maybe a little extra speed caused by the active musculature rotation of the forearms.

How am I doing? 

I think that's close to what I'm suggesting may be at play here, yes.

Delaying the unloading of "lag" (not a fan of the term but I think we know what we mean here - forearm to shaft angle, basically) increases clubhead speed.

SIM1 and SIM3 don't isolate "forearm rotation versus none." The whole sequencing is different — different forces at different times yielding different results.

I'm assuming that this recent article is more up to date on what can increase clubhead speed.

What are the dates of the two? I'm on my phone so can't look around too much.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Possibly, sure.

I think that's close to what I'm suggesting may be at play here, yes.

Delaying the unloading of "lag" (not a fan of the term but I think we know what we mean here - forearm to shaft angle, basically) increases clubhead speed.

SIM1 and SIM3 don't isolate "forearm rotation versus none." The whole sequencing is different — different forces at different times yielding different results.

What are the dates of the two? I'm on my phone so can't look around too much.

The 1st article was published 5th Jan 2012

The 2nd article has 11/06/2019  on each slide.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Warlock said:

The 1st article was published 5th Jan 2012

The 2nd article has 11/06/2019  on each slide.

Hmmm, maybe that answers that.