IGNORED

Violation of 3 Minute Lost Ball Rule

AH PARENT

12 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

so walked back 400yards and teed off and brilliant drive down the middle ... when I approached my Provisional shot here only a few yards off the fairway was my first shot(must have hit tree and hit back toward fairway) ...

You got this incorrect...

What you did was take a stroke and distance penalty for a lost ball. A provisional would be if you thought the first was lost and hit it right after hitting your first shot. They technically produce the same score if they are hit in play like you did. Still, your stroke and distance penalty isn't provisional. You have to announce at the time you are hitting a provisional. 

If the player does not announce this (even if he or she intended to play a provisional ball) and plays a ball from where the previous stroke was made, that ball is the player’s ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 18.1).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A provisional would be if you thought the first was lost and hit it right after hitting your first shot.

You are correct that a Provisional must be announced, otherwise the second tee shot is in play under Stroke and Distance.  However, it is completely acceptable to return to the tee to play a Provisional after the search has started, per Clarification 18.3a/2.  However, once the search has started, the clock doesn't stop while the player goes back to the tee.  If the OP is walking back 400 yards after beginning to search (400 yards, really?), the 3-minute search time would certainly have elapsed. before he plays that second drive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

You are correct that a Provisional must be announced, otherwise the second tee shot is in play under Stroke and Distance.  However, it is completely acceptable to return to the tee to play a Provisional after the search has started, per Clarification 18.3a/2.  However, once the search has started, the clock doesn't stop while the player goes back to the tee.  If the OP is walking back 400 yards after beginning to search (400 yards, really?), the 3-minute search time would certainly have elapsed. before he plays that second drive.

I guess that would matter more if you had other people help searching. You could go back and hit a provisional while they search for you. 

Yea, the time it takes to initially search, and then decide to walk back to the tee box, most likely your 3 minutes are up by the time you hit. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 3/4/2023 at 4:21 AM, DaveP043 said:

Yeah no I meant 300yards roughy back to the tee box the overall hole was 400yards .. Yes in hindsight should have taken Provis right after my first tee shot ... but at the time its location has never been a issue our course is a LINKS course and at this location there is no bad rough or any cover to lose a ball in just some well trimmed large trees with fairways both sides honestly its so common to see players playing out of the 11th fairway to the 10th Green .. 

I'll certainly won't forgot it ... too use to playing with the boys where the rules aren't as strict and if you come across your primary ball after hitting Provis your'd just hit that esp when its been one of your best drives of the day !!

Go Foxy Go

On 3/4/2023 at 5:49 AM, saevel25 said:

I guess that would matter more if you had other people help searching. You could go back and hit a provisional while they search for you. 

Yea, the time it takes to initially search, and then decide to walk back to the tee box, most likely your 3 minutes are up by the time you hit. 

Yeah its my first CLUB CHAMPS matchplay game just two players the other player was having his own issues from poor drive that he then put in the bunker ... I really had a good opportunity to square the match after being 2 behind couple back .. 

As the other player come from the direction where my primary ball landed  (must have hit tree out right come back centre) I just never though it would have ended up 25yards the opposite way it was flying... 

then after helping for some time he walked back to the balls location while I walked back to the tee ....

..never trust your opposition might see your ball muti times he walks past it esp matchplay another lesson 

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go