IGNORED

Best Course in Your City/State

BallCrusher
Note: This thread is 4320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the surrounding areas, Old Silo and the Bull at Boone's trace are great courses.

Yes, Old Silo is a gem. I’m not sure what their green fees are now, but I remember at the time thinking it was one of the best courses for the dollar I had ever played. The only bummer is it’s in dry county (at least it was at the time), therefore no cold beer(s) to enjoy after the round.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The course is always in great shape and I would take it over any St. George or Mesquite, NV course.

Have you played Wolf Creek? It's my favorite in Mesquite. Its a spectacular looking course but quite difficult. How would you compare the two?

www.golfwolfcreek.com

Driver: Titleist 983K, 9.5°, Aldila NV-65S
3-Wood: Titleist 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV-75S
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue TP, 19°, Aldila NV-85S
Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP, S300, 3-PW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 900 56.14Putter: Ping Anser 4, 34"Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

In Kent, England, either - Royal St Georges
Royal Cinque Ports

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

Muirfield or Archerfield
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anyone in Arizona with a recommendation for best course?

Driver: Titleist 983K, 9.5°, Aldila NV-65S
3-Wood: Titleist 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV-75S
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue TP, 19°, Aldila NV-85S
Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP, S300, 3-PW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 900 56.14Putter: Ping Anser 4, 34"Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Not much mention of Virginia here so I'll throw out a couple from Central VA.

Private
Kinloch Golf Club: Manakin-Sabot, VA
The Foundry: Richmond, VA
Country Club of Virginia (James River Course): Richmond, VA

Public
Spring Creek Golf Club: Gordonsville, VA
The Cascades: Hot Springs, VA
Independence Golf Club: Richmond, VA

DJ Yoshi, whoever told you that members could not take guests at Pine Valley and Baltusrol was mistaken. My brother played Baltusrol 2 weeks ago on a Saturday at 11AM in a group with 1 member and 3 guests. I'll be playing there in a 1 and 3 group there this summer as well. I'll also be playing Pine Valley with 1 member and 7 guests. One of our PV foursomes won't even have a member in it. You should re-investigate and see if you can play these courses with the member you know.

Not much mention of Virginia here so I'll throw out a couple from Central VA.

Since I live in F'burg, I will keep this list as some must play. I like W'burg Natl (Jamestown course) and ,Tradition Golf Club At Kiskiack (also near W'burg) and Mataponi Springs. I've played at the Homestead (old course) but would love to play the Cascades. I haven't played any courses near Richmond.

Is there anyone in Arizona with a recommendation for best course?

public:

try the courses at Talking Stick and We Ko Pa, and Troon North. the boulders is also highly regarded. you'd be wise not to automatically assume TPC Scottsdale is king of the mountain just because of the FBR golf tournament.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

• 2 weeks later...
Torrey Pines.

You need to get around San Diego some more. :)

Torrey is great, but not the best in SD. Rancho Santa Fe Country Club comes to mind. Four Seasons at Aviara too - and that's public. Aviara is an Arnold Palmer course - the finishing 3 holes are some of the toughest you'll ever play.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

You need to get around San Diego some more. :)

Believe me i know....i was just listing the most famous/well known one i guess.

i live in the North County so i don't go too far south that often but i really need to play some better courses. Aviara was right by my old job and i've been curious about that course. actually i must thank you, i kind of forgot about that.

DRIVER: MACTEC NVG2 Draw 10.5*
WOODS: Big Bertha Warbird 3&7 wood
IRONS: Magique Custom 3-9
WEDGES: PW, Horizon 56*, The Pirate 60*
PUTTER: ????BALLS: Laddie ExtremeMy Scores-http://www.oobgolf.com/golfers/pinbacksc

In my city (Newton, MA) - either Brea Burn CC or Charles River CC (never played Charles River but I have heard great things).

In my state - The Country Club (Brookline), which I get to pay for the first time this year on Monday and I can't wait! (I caddy there)

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

Michigan's has got to be Arcadia Bluffs. While I've yet to be able to play there, my friend has and he tells me it's absolutley beautiful and as close to British golf as you can get.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Virginia's by golf digest's standards is Kinloch.....but it's SUPER private, and the layout is boring and their greens run a 13 in the summer (best conditioned course i have ever seen....check out their website http://www.kinlochgolfclub.com/page/8-173.htm).....they are our "rival club" being as they are across the street so our description of them is rich and completely spoiled....which is pretty accurate

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

In Jacksonville, FL, obviously, TPC Sawgrass is the best. :P
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

• 3 years later...

In the AC, NJ area, I have to put in a pitch for my home course, Seaview CC (formerly Marriot Seaview). It was recently bought by Stockton State College, and they have remodeled and upgraded both of their courses. Their two courses are totally different in character, with the Bay course being a true links built on saltmarsh wetlands (and site of the LPGA ShopRite Classic), and the Pines course being a classic tight parklands style. Seaview has a rich heritage, having been visited by Presidents, celebrities, and golf legends, and is a wonderful overall playing experience.

dak4n6

I live in the Philly Area and have hit a lot of the public courses in the PA, South NJ, Delaware area.

NJ Public courses: (Down the shore)

Shoregate

SeaView - prefer Pines to the Bay course

Sand Barrens

South Jersey Public Courses

Scotland Run - Pricey but always in great shape

Deerwood - usually in great condition

Running Deer - Jaworski took over this course a few years ago.  Great layout, crazy undulating greens.

White Oaks - Havent played it in a few years but the greens were always in perfect condition - they have a few tricked up holes but its a good price and not very crowded.

South Jersey - Private Course (excluding Pine Valley)

Laurel Creek - Links style Arnold Palmer course

Trump National at Philadelphia (formerly Pine Hill) - very hilly great elevation changes - used to be a ski slope.

PA - Philly Area and beyond - Public Courses

The golf course at Glen Mills (no alcohol on course) - great layout, great conditions, expensive on weekends.

Center Valley - Links style course

The Club at Morgan Hills - Lehigh Area - Dramatic elevation changes and good value.

Architects (PA/NJ border) - a little pricey but a nice course in excellent condition.

Hideaway Hills - Up at the Poconos...Great course.  Haven't played it in a number of years but its in great shape usually and has a great layout with big elevation changes.

Olde Homestead - Pocono Area - used to play this on the way up to Poconos or way back.  Crazy hilly course, great shape, good price

Melrose Country Club - Semi Private - short course (6900 from tips) but its challenging with tight fairways and hilly lies on each hole and in great condition especially the greens.

Delaware County - Public Courses

White Clay Creek - perfect conditions on fairways, tee boxes and greens and best practice facility around.  Located at Delaware Race Track. Pricey on weekends.  GPS on cart

Deerfield - best value for money, great condition, good layout with many elevation changes, greens roll well.

Rock Manor - Not bad, but gets a lot of play.  Good track that gets a little beat up at times.  Good value though for the price.

Note: This thread is 4320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!