IGNORED

Playing Ready Golf (and How to do it "Better")

MrLeek

So I’m mindful that I could be playing ready golf a little better. I’m curious on people’s thoughts on what to watch out for, things to avoid, good habits to acquire, etc. Appreciate this is a very subjective topic! Some of my own personal thoughts:

• My actual “step into the shot” routine could be a tiny bit quicker. But that preshot routine is not overly excessive (I think): align against a mark on the ground, get settled (waggle) and know I’m in line & the ball is positioned correctly; look at the target (waggle); back to the ball; swing. 
  • Getting caught in-between clubs is a sticking point. I need to be more decisive, sooner.
  • Spend far less time worrying about where a playing partners shot has gone. In some ways It’s fine if it’s a bad/wayward shot as it helps with the inevitable search. But if the ball can clearly be found, ignore it and focus on getting on with preparation for my next shot.
    • I think tee shots are more important to watch for as they can be especially wayward. But if I’m teeing up next, that should be my primary task. Other golf shots - the focus needs to be on my own golf ball first.
  • Finesse shots can sometimes take more time to get the correct feeling. 
  • Do practice putts (trying to get the correct pace of my upcoming putt) well away from my ball. It just seems to make playing partners think I’m about to attempt a putt, when I’m just trying to save time. Or just tell said playing partner what I’m doing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say your 1st, 2nd & 4th points are more about your personal pre-shot routine, #3 (not watching your groups balls) is not a time saver since if you watch you can direct them to a close proximity of their ball saving some time.  And watching their ball as you walk to the teeing area should not take long.

Your point #5 is good.  I often take my practice strokes near my bill and like you said, others stop to wait for me even though I am far away from being in their line,

one thing that frustrates me is I use AimPoint and while others are walking to all sides of a shot to “see” the line I will do my AimPoint if not in their way but then they stop & wait for me.  They do not seem to realize that more than 1 person can line up their putt at the same time.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• iacas changed the title to Playing Ready Golf (and How to do it "Better")

Thanks for the response. I think my 3rd point is (on reflection) just something to be mindful of. If you’re hitting a blind shot then the extra pair of eyes are of course useful. But otherwise once the shot is played and it’s obviously not going off target then ignore it and focus on my upcoming shot.

I’d also use aimpoint (the quicker version to verify what I’ve seen) but I know that’ll just add time and cause the same problem you described.

An additional point I’ve thought of:

• if you can get to your ball safely, get to your ball. That gives you more time to consider the shot. Even thinking about the shot 10-15 yds behind the ball can be useful time (‘where do I want the ball to be next?”, “what’s the carry for that bunker?”, etc)

4 hours ago, MrLeek said:

if you can get to your ball safely, get to your ball. That gives you more time to consider the shot. Even thinking about the shot 10-15 yds behind the ball can be useful time (‘where do I want the ball to be next?”, “what’s the carry for that bunker?”, etc)

100% yes

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Under certain circumstances, raking a bunker for another player after they have hit their sand shot can speed things up. 

Too often I see "Ready Golf" come to an end near/on the green. We try to begin putting even if someone is further away or off the green.  I hate hearing, "Who is away?" when we are supposed to be practicing "Ready Golf."

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

I agree that taking practice swings/putts can often lead to confusion, so I generally save those until it's my turn. With that said, I try to do all of the following while others are hitting. 

Laser my distance. Make necessary accommodations for wind/elevation/trouble. Pick my club. Stand behind my ball and visualize my desired start line and ball flight. 

Then when it's my turn, I can just step up to the ball, take a few practice swings and the ball is in the air in less than 20 seconds.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:17 PM, MrLeek said:

My actual “step into the shot” routine could be a tiny bit quicker. But that preshot routine is not overly excessive (I think): align against a mark on the ground, get settled (waggle) and know I’m in line & the ball is positioned correctly; look at the target (waggle); back to the ball; swing. 

Seems reasonable. 

Getting caught in-between clubs is a sticking point. I need to be more decisive, sooner.

Yea, this just takes practice to recognize other factors that could sway you. Example, if it is a flier situation, then I just know to club down. I tend to error on clubbing if the pin is up front and clubbing down if the pin is in the back. Pending other factors of course. 

Do practice putts (trying to get the correct pace of my upcoming putt) well away from my ball. It just seems to make playing partners think I’m about to attempt a putt, when I’m just trying to save time. Or just tell said playing partner what I’m doing.

I don't recommend this. You'r body might forget the feel for the length of putt. Just make 2-3 practice strokes a part of your pre-shot routine. You can get your read while others are putting. 

Generally, the #1 cause of slow play is not getting ready to hit while others are hitting. They just sit there. You can get your yardage, and think about your shot as others hit. Then also not getting into the cart right after a shot. You can put your club in at the green or next tee box. I do not find a lot of people are actually that slow with their club selection, pre-shot routine, and hitting the ball. It's all the stuff in-between that really slows down play. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: