IGNORED

New Member from Arizona

Planewood

Hi Folks,

This looks like a fun place to hang out! After 30+ years of no golf, I'm back out there destroying the ball - albeit with a much slower swing and less mobility. Getting older, you know.

I needed clubs and bought a set of TA 845s. I had learned this game on my Dad's TAs way back when, and knew they were solid clubs). I quickly realized that I needed a lot of practice, and these clubs were not for me (or so I thought). So I went and got fitted for a set of Cleveland clubs, bought them, and found my swing (or so I thought). With the Clevelands, I was so-so hitting the ball, and when I did connect, I was hitting all over the place. So, I took a lesson and although it did help, I was still hitting without any consistency. After many range sessions working on the swing, I finally got to where I could at least hit a draw, a fade, and a straight shot. The distances were maddening, though. I realize I cannot hit it near as far as I used to (and I don't pretend I ever will), but it seemed like all the clubs produced a similar distance.

So, I don't know why, but I decided to try the 845s again at the range, and boy, was I surprised. Much straighter, much further, and much better control over the ball. The 845s have lower lofts, lower lies (I was fitted at +2*), shorter shafts (I was fitted at +1"), and thinner grips (recommended at jumbo). I probably should have tried to work with the 845s a bit longer before racing out to buy the Clevelands (or tried a different fitter repping a different manufacturer), but man, my ball striking with the 845s is much better than the Clevelands. At the range, I hit both sets side-by-side and the difference was eye-opening. What gives?

The Cleveland wedges are another story, though. I really like them! The irons are good as well, but I'm anxious to play a round with the 845s and see if I end up hitting the ball better, with greater accuracy.

Chuck 

• Administrator

I have a set of 845s. They just say "KickX" on them. 😉 (The designer of the TA 845 irons designed the KickX cavity back irons.)

One of my high school teammates had the 845s, too. Mid-90s. Great club.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Planewood said:

Hi Folks,

This looks like a fun place to hang out! After 30+ years of no golf, I'm back out there destroying the ball - albeit with a much slower swing and less mobility. Getting older, you know.

I needed clubs and bought a set of TA 845s. I had learned this game on my Dad's TAs way back when, and knew they were solid clubs). I quickly realized that I needed a lot of practice, and these clubs were not for me (or so I thought). So I went and got fitted for a set of Cleveland clubs, bought them, and found my swing (or so I thought). With the Clevelands, I was so-so hitting the ball, and when I did connect, I was hitting all over the place. So, I took a lesson and although it did help, I was still hitting without any consistency. After many range sessions working on the swing, I finally got to where I could at least hit a draw, a fade, and a straight shot. The distances were maddening, though. I realize I cannot hit it near as far as I used to (and I don't pretend I ever will), but it seemed like all the clubs produced a similar distance.

So, I don't know why, but I decided to try the 845s again at the range, and boy, was I surprised. Much straighter, much further, and much better control over the ball. The 845s have lower lofts, lower lies (I was fitted at +2*), shorter shafts (I was fitted at +1"), and thinner grips (recommended at jumbo). I probably should have tried to work with the 845s a bit longer before racing out to buy the Clevelands (or tried a different fitter repping a different manufacturer), but man, my ball striking with the 845s is much better than the Clevelands. At the range, I hit both sets side-by-side and the difference was eye-opening. What gives?

The Cleveland wedges are another story, though. I really like them! The irons are good as well, but I'm anxious to play a round with the 845s and see if I end up hitting the ball better, with greater accuracy.

Chuck 

Welcome to TST

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Welcome to TST! I enjoy playing older clubs here and there. I’ve got a set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons along with good ole Wilson woods and driver. I even got the classic red and white leather bag for ‘em. Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to New Member from Arizona