IGNORED

Crystal Springs + 1

iSank

Aloha All,

Still getting over building my house but finally have started getting out traveling with the golf clubs.

We found ourselves in central NY with a few days to spare so we headed off to Crystal Springs. On the way we stopped at the Great Bear Golf Club, Stroudsburg, PA. Enjoyed the course, being a Nicholas design there were some challenging holes and a course I really enjoyed even with 88 degrees and no wind. Then over to Jersey at Crystal Springs. I love the Lodge there, beautiful wooden beams and interior. The courses that week were overrun with tournaments. Day 2, First up, Wild Turkey which I think I would have liked it more if it didn’t take 5 hours. Fortunately we were paired with pleasant NY couple.

Ballyowen on day 3 had us playing our best golf and it was a nice challenge and in good shape. It attempts to be a links style course. Crystal Springs course was day 4 and I enjoyed the course, not on my best game. I have not seen much discussion here on CS, but I think this course is a bit quirky;  at least there are a good variety of hole types as it opens up on the back 9. Then we were back up Rt 81 to Beautiful CNY.

A few final thoughts on Crystal Springs, beyond its nice Lodge, we lost power for an hour one night, and a fire alarm evacuated everyone at 2AM. The front desk said nothing regarding either events. Then we dropped off our bag for Ship Sticks and they, SS, called me day later, asking where are my clubs? Yikes! I told them the front desk said they would bring them down to the loading dock, they said Ok and a few hours later I got email confirmation they had been picked up. I would not return or recommend this resort. We had fun but next time in NJ, the courses down by Atlantic City look a lot more interesting.

We'll see you out on the course.

Will

• Like 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad you had a good time! I’ve only played at Crystal Springs and I have to say, I hated that course. Too quirky, gimmicky, etc. I have to try to get out to Ballyowen at some point.

If you get out to the AC area, I recommend playing Twisted Dunes. Fun new style “links” course. I haven’t played too many courses in the area but I definitely recommend that one.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

20 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve only played at Crystal Springs and I have to say, I hated that course. Too quirky, gimmicky, etc.

We played with two local guys who said they didn't really like the course either. Fun to play with them as they were smashing it 300 yds off the tee. We started out planning to go to AS, and on a future visit we will make it down there. Thanks for recommendation.

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.