IGNORED

Driver off the Deck

iacas
Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Driver off the deck: is that shot in your bag?

• Yep
    • Nope
    • I've done it, but I'm not confident in it at all.

I'll pass.

that's hilarious. I'll bet the scatter when told that, too funny.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to hit this shot all the time when I was playing in HS and college. Of course, it was with a Callaway GBB and Titleist 975D respectively. Now, it has to be sitting absolutely perfect for me to consider it. Even then, a ripped 3 wood would (ha ha) probably only be 10 yards shorter (for me, anyway). If I could gain 50 yards by doing it, I would definitely attempt it more often.

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 Tour 9.5*; Grafalloy PL Red
FW Wood: X 17*; Stock shaft
Hybrid: X 21*; Fujikura BanzaiIrons: X-18 Pro Series; S300Wedges: X forged 56* & 60*balls; tees; like $20 in change; chapstick; bugspray; a bunch of wrappers and such.

Some of the 'Big Headed' drivers (460cc) are better suited now to hit off the deck as some of the designs (most notably the Cleveland HiBore drivers and even the graphite crowns of some including the one I use (Mizuno MX-500) lower the center of gravity by pushing the crown down and extending the back or using a lighter weighted material on top to distribute more weight at the bottom. All this helps get the ball in the air. Since reading this thread I tried it at my range and I can honestly say I hit the ball fairly cleanly 7 out of 10 times. I'm still adjusting the stance as to where I put the ball at address (usually inline with my leading foot) as well as how much the clubface is open at address to add that additional loft. Depending on the swing you can hit a nice low fade or slice.

I was definitely shocked at the results and will likely consider it after a few more practice shots at the range and when it comes time to hit a big second shot to get me in scoring range.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I think the only time I would ever try this is if the ball was floating on a cloud of the softest, most gentle rough - almost like God's tee.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Haven't used this shot in a long time but will try it again because I took my 3W out in favor of an extra wedge.

As far as pitch or wedge, depends on the pin location, but I'd rather hit a full swing wedge than a half swing pitch. One advantage is bringing the ball in high to a front pin location, spinning it back. A pitch over 30yds of fairway to a tight front pin location is a very tough shot. A good wedge player should hit near exact yardage most of the time especially with a lob wedge.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

can do it but the risk/reward factor is not worth it!

Driver: D1 9.5 stiff (grafalloy blue)
Fairway: 975f 14.5 (stiff)
hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 degree
Iron: 690MB 3-PW (S300 dynamic gold)
Wedge: Vokey RAW 54, 60Putter: studio design 1Ball: ProV1 (or any found balls)Bag: Areo 2 (2.5lb ideal for carrying)Home course:...

I voted, "done it, but without conf.". . .My home course's par5's simply are long enough to deem such a shot necessary. Even if I flub one, and leave it short of the ladies tees-- --I can still reach a 500 yd par 5 in 3 with 2--3wood shots.

To even attempt this, I think you need the absolute perfect lie. ..risk/reward. . .

• Administrator

An image from the Memorial Clinic of Sean O'Hair hitting driver off the deck. He hit several, in fact, and said that he likes to hit them sometimes in order to make sure he's staying very steady with his swing:

In other news, in a round with staff member George on Friday, I hit into a fairway bunker on a par five. My 5-iron caught the lip and bounced sideways. I had 280 to the flag, dead into a stiff, stiff breeze (the same breeze that caused everyone all the problems Friday at The Memorial).

The hole was actually not very forgiving, but I had about 20 yards of fairway in front of the green. I hit driver off the deck and was left with a 30-yard chip to a back pin.

So yeah, the shot's in my bag, as George can attest. Though it's not as good as Sean's!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In other news, in a round with staff member George on Friday, I hit into a fairway bunker on a par five. My 5-iron caught the lip and bounced sideways. I had 280 to the flag, dead into a stiff, stiff breeze (the same breeze that caused everyone all the problems Friday at The Memorial).

Yup, I witnessed it. Well executed! A little fade with a trajectory similar to my typical 3-wood. Though I do have to report that the shot from the bunker before that, caught the lip, went backward, and rolled all the way under the cart to the other side... pretty funny to watch!

For me, personally, driver off the deck is not usually a good bet. I hit the ball low as it is... getting driver off the deck is not a promising scenario. I've pulled it off before, but unless I get a fluke fluffy lie it's not a vary good way to go for me . In fact, off a tight lie, I'd probably hit my 3-wood farther than the driver. It really comes down to your swing. If you're comfortable sweeping the ball off the turf (and can catch it really clean) you can pull off this shot. If that's not your forte (like it's not really mine.. I hit down on it too much), then you are probably better off hitting a couple irons or a hybrid and a short iron. Then again, maybe I should have tried it, because from a few yards in front of where Erik hit his driver off the deck, I hooked TWO 4-words into the ganja on the left, while he faded that driver to the right edge of the fairway. Sometimes living right doesn't pay.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two days ago I was playing a round with about five of my friends, one of which will be playing division one college golf this next year. I don't know his handicap but I would imagine he is a scratch golfer or maybe better. On the 6th hole which is a 260 yard severely uphill par four he set his ball on the turf and hit his driver. He hit a nice little fade that landed on the center of the green about 20 feet from the hole. Best shot and most talented golfer I've seen in awhile. We were all in awe but he shook it off like he does it all the time.

After reading this thread I went out and practiced this shot then tried to use in during a round . . . didn't work out. This has to be the toughest shot in golf. Rarely do you see the pros try it, and even they mess it up.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• 2 months later...
I had a thought (though perhaps someone else has already made mention to it earlier in this thread) of buying a HT (high trajectory) lofted driver to use as my '3 wood' replacement. I've hit a few 3 woods recently that really hasn't rewarded me much and thinking how much more forgiving the driver is nowadays especially off the tee I was thinking of adding a higher lofted driver in my bag and replacing the 3 wood. I would figure hitting off the deck to be a little more difficult than a 3 wood since it has a longer shaft, but perhaps the big headed driver with the added loft, increased MOI and perhaps CG pushed further back of the head will allow the ball to be hit with some merit of accuracy? Anyone else think of this scenario? Is it just too odd?

What's In my bag:

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Hit three this year. One went 245ish but right of the green. I cut one from 235 around a tree and on to a par 5 (ofcourse I missed the eagle). Third attempt went about 140 yards. I'll try it if I'm too far to hit 4wood and if it's sitting up perfectly on the zoysia.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Tiger says that he will hit about 2 a year from the deck.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Used to hit driver off the deck, but with my low spin/low launch Hi-bore XL Tour, it is a complete no go unless I have to keep the ball 5 feet off the deck for some reason. I carry a 13 degree Titleist 980 with a steel x-stiff shaft that keeps the driver off the deck temptation in check.

I tried it down at the range a bit.

Last time I was there I was trying out a few different drivers and the pro came out and saw me hitting my Callaway BBB pretty nicely off the tee. He said I could probably hit it off the deck so gave it a try and it was alright! My concern is the head coming off my fairly elderly driver with one errant knock onto the mat!

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

I can hit the shot but unless I'm somehow forced into it, I won't . I have much more control and consistency with a punch 2 iron. I can hit the 2 iron high, low, fade, draw, whatever. I've hit good knock down 2 irons with plenty of spin that will check up when they land, conversely I can hit one that will release as well. I'm pretty good at controlling the distance of flight as well. Those are all things that I'm not nearly as confident doing with a driver off the deck, especially with a somewhat questionable lie.

I seldom carry fairway woods and when I do, it's a 4 wood, so the 2 iron has really become a staple of my game. It's something that I practice with often and have learned to hit very well.

Personally I think that a 2 iron is a far better option than hitting a driver off the deck regardless of the conditions.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Tiger says that he will hit about 2 a year from the deck.

That's because he's usually always inside the distance a driver off the deck will get him. He's long... and REALLY good, remember?

What's In my bag:

Note: This thread is 5731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!