IGNORED

Hybrids vs. Long irons

Note: This thread is 6767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been doing some reading and testing out some hybrid clubs to see if I should include one in my "bag". Everything that I've read makes me believe that hybrids are better than long irons (2i-4i and maybe even 5i). I'm pretty decent hitting the ball with the longer irons, so I haven't noticed too much of an improvement using the hybrids. But, all my friends swear by them.

Are there any situations (or reasons) when a long-iron is a better choice than a hybrid club? The October issue of Golf Magazine had "your 3-iron is obsolete! Newest hybrids reviewed" on its cover. In the same issue, there was a small blurb that had a test showing that hybrids are carried the ball about 16 yrds longer. I even read somewhere (might have been Golf Digest) that many people think that future iron sets will include hybrids instead of the long irons.

Is the hybrid vs. long-iron question a "no-brainer"? There's got to be some benefit of a hitting/using a long iron, right? Is this the main issue - that most people have difficulty hitting a long iron consistently?

Sign the slow play promise and petition

• Administrator
It depends on what you call a long iron. I hit my 3W plenty well, and I can hit it low. I carry a hybrid instead of a 2-iron, though.

Many times, hybrids hit the ball further because they're longer. Not as long as a wood, but longer than an iron. That's more clubhead speed and more distance.

If a 5-iron is a "long iron" to someone, they may do well with a hybrid. But I can hit my 3-iron just fine - and I can work the ball with it, which is tougher to do with a hybrid, and hit the ball low with it if I need to, which is tougher to do with a hybrid - so I keep my 3-iron on up as irons, not hybrids.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It depends on what you call a long iron. I hit my 3W plenty well, and I can hit it low. I carry a hybrid instead of a 2-iron, though.

So, the main difference is control? Assuming you can hit them consistently (2i-4i), you get more control hitting an iron versus hitting a hybrid. Okay, that makes sense. I didn't realize that the shafts on hybrid clubs are a bit longer than the comparable iron - definitely explains the extra distance.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

So, the main difference is control? Assuming you can hit them consistently (2i-4i), you get more control hitting an iron versus hitting a hybrid. Okay, that makes sense. I didn't realize that the shafts on hybrid clubs are a bit longer than the comparable iron - definitely explains the extra distance.

Control for me is about the same with a 2 iron and my hybrid. The big difference is ball flight. I can hit a long, high, soft shot with hybrid that I could never hit with my 2 iron. I would suggest hitting a variety of hybrids on the range to find the one that gives you the feel you want. Give the TaylorMades and Sonartecs a try...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been doing some reading and testing out some hybrid clubs to see if I should include one in my "bag". Everything that I've read makes me believe that hybrids are better than long irons (2i-4i and maybe even 5i). I'm pretty decent hitting the ball with the longer irons, so I haven't noticed too much of an improvement using the hybrids. But, all my friends swear by them.

Its going to be diffrent depending on your ablity level. Someone who is a +2 or a -2 is not going to need a Hybrid for the 3 and 4 irons. They are hitting them solid most of the time anyways. Hybrids are great for the Mid range and high HCP's. I use one for my 2 iron also. I use it cause I can hit it farther then i can my normal 2 Iron. I use it off the Tee on short par 4's and when i am trying to go for a long par 5.

Hybrids are more forgiving. They go higher in the AIR. They are easier to hit out of the rough. I would recomend one to anyone who does hit long irons well.. Also I forgot about this. Most amature golfers do not generate enough swing speed to get the proper spin rate off a 2 and 3 iron. If you are not able to get the spin rate right the ball will never carry as far as it should. Thats another reason why most mid and high HCPers should use them...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tired this new hybird club, the Cleveland LDI in 18*?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Note: This thread is 6767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!