IGNORED

Is a 19-hole course within the rules?

JerseyThursday
Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a friend who said he played a course in Ohio that was 19 holes. It was designed that the first hole was to be a “warm up”. You play it like a regular golf hole, the only difference being the green had several holes/flagsticks and you don’t keep the score. This got me wondering if the rules specify, either way, about a course set up like this.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I had a friend who said he played a course in Ohio that was 19 holes. It was designed that the first hole was to be a “warm up”. You play it like a regular golf hole, the only difference being the green had several holes/flagsticks and you don’t keep the score. This got me wondering if the rules specify, either way, about a course set up like this.

For the record, I'm guessing here.

I suspect the answer is that, if the course is pressed about it, they say the course is defined as holes 2-19, and when you pay your fee, you're paying also for one trip through the warm-up center.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like a good idea to me, but then again it might slow down play. A separate area for warm up is probably better.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

I had a friend who said he played a course in Ohio that was 19 holes. It was designed that the first hole was to be a “warm up”. You play it like a regular golf hole, the only difference being the green had several holes/flagsticks and you don’t keep the score. This got me wondering if the rules specify, either way, about a course set up like this

From the rules of golf

Stipulated Round

A stipulated round is 18 holes unless a smaller number is authorized. So any tournaments or rounds for handicap purposes would have to be 18 holes.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe isn't "legal" but is a great idea, especially for courses that don't have a range, or for people like me who don't have time to go to the range before playing. I personally always play the first hole as a "warm up."

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I am driving out to Erin Hills in Wisconsin next weekend. they have a 19th hole and I was told it was a short par 3 that was used to settle bets before arriving at the clubhouse.
www.erinhills.com

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!