IGNORED

Should I try to keep my left arm straight?

Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had more than one person tell me to keep my left arm straight. I've tried and it just doesn't feel physically possible to keep it straight when taking a full back swing.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

Yes, not so straight that it feels like your elbow is going to break but it should be fairly straight throughout the entire swing until after you hit the ball when it begins to fold.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

whenever i try and teach my friends how to play, that's the first thing they say. i know it seems awkward at first, but a straight left arm (or nearly straight) is essential to one's swing. now don't force it upon yourself instantly, or you will most certainly get injured. become more comfortable with it gradually and you should see some success.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

Yes it does take some time to get used to. When I started I thought it was impossible, and now I dont even think about it. It helps to be flexible through out your shoulder turn.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

It feels very awkward. It's as if I'd have to really bend my wrists to get the clubhead back far enough.

In my Warbird Hot:

It feels very awkward. It's as if I'd have to really bend my wrists to get the clubhead back far enough.

Precisely. The hinging is a natural response. The way to create the backswing is to fold your right arm. Make sure your right arm is not straight, just your left.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

Thanks for the tips - I'm still learning for sure.
The left elbow has to bend a bit, but I think it helps my swing to just think about my left arm being straight all the way through.
People said this was a mental game and I sure believe it now. One simple change in your head can yield drastic results from a swing that didn't really feel different.

In my Warbird Hot:

If you are unable to keep your left arm extended, (term I prefer to straight) you may be trying to turn beyond your ability. A slight bend won't harm you as long as the arm straightens by impact, (restoring the radius). The main advantage of a fairly straight arm is that it simplifies the swing by removing movement that doesn't generate power, more consistency, better arm body timing and maximum efficiency.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

It's going to feel awkward for a little while. Any time you continuously make body movements that you're not used to it's going to be strange. I always had a vertical swing and when I started to swing around my body more it felt very awkward but it's an easy adjustment.

My best advice is not to overdo it. Only do what your body will allow. Everyone's first thought is to make a big long backswing, but not everyone has the physical ability to do so. It generates more power, but if you can't do it properly you will severely cripple your accuracy and consistency. Flexibility in your shoulders is very important.

Also, 70% of amateurs take TOO LONG of a backswing in hopes of hitting the ball longer. That is why they are often inconsistent. They rely on their body too much to do all of the work. That's the club's job. Shorten up your backswing and gradually elongate it as you gain flexibility.

I have 2 things that you should try to remember in your backswing:

1. Keep your chin up. A lot of people can't make a good shoulder turn because their chin is in their chest. You're not going to turn your shoulders through your chin, so lift it up a bit to allow that movement.

2. When your wrists hinge, use your left hand and almost feel as if you're pushing the grip away from your body. The right hand is basically just hanging on for the ride at this point. This will encourage your arm to stay straight and will also help you keep your hands away from your body and avoid swinging from the inside and pushing the ball left.

This will feel very unorthodox at first, but believe me, you will get used to it and you will be much better off. Your handicap is listed at 36+ so you must be fairly new to the game. A VERY important part of being good at golf is not developing bad habits. If you learn the right way from the get-go you will be much better off in the long run, so be sure that you practice everything the right way and don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Start small and work your way up.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

If you are unable to keep your left arm extended, (term I prefer to straight) you may be trying to turn beyond your ability. A slight bend won't harm you as long as the arm straightens by impact, (restoring the radius). The main advantage of a fairly straight arm is that it simplifies the swing by removing movement that doesn't generate power, more consistency, better arm body timing and maximum efficiency.

A slight bend shouldn't harm you if you get it straight again at impact. Take a look at Paul Goydos swing he bends his left arm and it doesnt hurt his swing.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

A slight bend shouldn't harm you if you get it straight again at impact. Take a look at Paul Goydos swing he bends his left arm and it doesnt hurt his swing.

Yeah he just uses it to blow 3 shot leads with 6 holes to play then plunks it in the water on the first playoff hole...

I keed I keed. He does have a good swing, though. EDIT: Now that I watch his swing I'm surprised by how short his swing arc is and how still his body is at impact. Not much of an explosion through the ball like you see from the longer hitters. It's almost as if some of the weight is kept on his back foot. Doesn't seem like he gets his whole lower body through the ball.

In My Bag:

3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I notice there is quite a bit of give in his left knee too on the backswing...

@ Razorhog... Letting your left leg give more will allow you a geater turn of your hips as you draw back, and that allows you to keep your left arm straighter for longer. which might be helpful if you are not very flexable. I think keeping your left arm straght is one of the most important parts of the swing (probably more important than keeping your knee straight) because it allows you to guide the club head back to where it came from. Trying to find the sweet spot with bent arms is like trying to hit a fly with a dart. I'm not certain where to draw the line with the left leg. I have in the past nearly lifted my whole left foot off the floor, which has produced perhaps some of my most powerful drives ever, due to the extra torque. Though I doubt this is something I should recommend, perhaps one of the more experienced players could explain how much movement of the left leg is too much.

I notice there is quite a bit of give in his left knee too on the backswing...

Bending your front knee creates a shift in momentum. It helps you move your weight from your back leg to your front leg and that's what creates the distance.

As far as lifting your front foot, think about baseball. Those guys lift their front foot to generate torque and shift their weight towards the ball. Golf is a little different, however. Unless you have it down to a science, it's extremely difficult to replicate the exact same move on every swing, so keeping it planted is much better for consistency and accuracy.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!