IGNORED

Overrated Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two words: Colin Montgomerie.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that Colin Montgomerie is overrated- hes lingering around 80th in the World Golf Rankings so i would say that his form has dropped a bit- but hes definitley not an overrated player in my view. Hes achieved a lot in his career and i believe that he has another win in him.

Um. He's possibly the greatest golfer who ever lived and he single handedly keeps televised golf afloat.

He also transcends sports like no athlete since Michael Jordan. He crosses racial barriers in a sport dominated by stuffy white men. He has dominated like no player in history. He will likely hold every major record in the game before it's all said and done. He is the reason that guys are making millions out there every year.

Yeah...No reason for hype here.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Um. He's possibly the greatest golfer who ever lived and he single handedly keeps televised golf afloat.

He is still over-hyped and this is the reason some of the guys that deserve a bit more coverage don't get it. They spend way too much time on one guy.

I know he's done a lot for the game, don't get me wrong. I just think the media goes overboard with him. I love it when he doesn't play because I get a chance to see some other swings on TV.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

Good topic. The only one on that list I disagree with is Cink. I too believe he's a bit underrated, at least this year, and he's still young enough to compete for a major in the years to come. As far as Monty and Lehman, they aren't really thought of much these days so I assume they are included on that list because their career's have been overrated. Based on that I will totally agree. Hard to believe Lehman only won five times in his whole career. The first guy I thought of when I read the title was Luke Donald. He's supposed to be this next phenom but he really hasn't done much. Adam Scott too is a bit overrated until he starts to seriously compete in majors. This pains me to say because I really like the guy but how about Fred Couples? I know back problems really slowed him down so it's a bit unfair but I would have thought he would have ended up with more than 1 major. Oh yeah, DiMarco was overrated even when he was competing in majors. Like the guy, good team player but he's overrated.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Monty is not over rated IMO, the PGA Tour has never held the same importance to Monty that the European tour has, ok he has never won a major but how many times has he come second or third?

Monty has also never asked, nor does he care how other people rate him in fact if you called him over rated to his face he'd prob tell you exactly where to go.

A little rant there maybe, but I think people are WAY too quick to criticize Monty.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

He also transcends sports like no athlete since Michael Jordan. He crosses racial barriers in a sport dominated by stuffy white men. He has dominated like no player in history. He will likely hold every major record in the game before it's all said and done. He is the reason that guys are making millions out there every year.

The very fact that a golfer is held in higher regard than your typical firefighter proves my point. The racial barriers were crossed long ago by Sifford, etc, so I don't give him anything on that point. The man is a golfer, next to meaningless in the big picture. Not that they aren't deserving of some recognition but it gets a bit overboard with Tiger. The game itself dwarfs the player.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

I beleive that Adam Scott is overrated, he has no right to be at number 3 in the world (or where ever he is now). Sure he has a great swing but he has never won any big tournaments and when ever he has a chance in one he chokes.

I beleive Anthony Kim is overated because people are saying he's going to be like Tiger and i don't see that happening.

Whats in my bag
Driver: 983K 8.5*
Fairway Wood: 906F2 15.0
Hybrid:585H 19*
Irons 690 CB and MB. CB 3-5 MB 6-PWWedges: Vokey Tour Chrome 54 58 Putter: Bettinardi C-04 Ball: Pro V1X

• Administrator
I beleive that Adam Scott is overrated, he has no right to be at number 3 in the world (or where ever he is now). Sure he has a great swing but he has never won any big tournaments and when ever he has a chance in one he chokes.

I don't think you can use the OWGR as "proof" of anything. Perhaps you don't like how the OWGR works or is calculated, but since it's strictly performance based, you can't say someone's OWGR ranking is "over-rated."

It's my understanding that whether someone is "over-rated" is more about how good a golfer feel that they are. So say everyone gets on a Sergio kick and talks about him as a challenger to Tiger, I'd say that's over-rating Sergio, who's really proven very little since coming onto the scene. But his OWGR? It is what it is. There's no opinion about it. You may not like the formula, but that doesn't mean he hasn't earned whatever spot he's got on the list. And heck, I think Tiger Woods is under-rated as a golfer. That doesn't mean I think he should get more air-time or be talked about more by the press - it just means that as a golfer, he's so phenomenal, you almost can't talk highly enough about what he's accomplished or what he's capable of doing with a golf ball. He's simply on another level, and it's such a high level I don't think most of us could even conceive of it. (Just like how they say that one billion is an inconceivable quantity for most people.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps it would be better to ask: 'Who rates himself the highest on the PGA Tour but has no right to'.

Ian Poulter

Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

So say everyone gets on a Sergio kick and talks about him as a challenger to Tiger, I'd say that's over-rating Sergio, who's really proven very little since coming onto the scene.

Sergio Garcia has the most PGA Tour wins of any golfer under the age of 30. I doubt that he's "really proven very little."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Sergio Garcia has the most PGA Tour wins of any golfer under the age of 30. I doubt that he's "really proven very little."

That's a meaningless stat. There aren't any golfers under 30 who have really done anything to date (save for Immelman's Masters victory).

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

That's a meaningless stat. There aren't any golfers under 30 who have really done anything to date (save for Immelman's Masters victory).

Uhm, that actually makes Sergio's victories even more impressive. He's actually winning tournaments, more than any of his age-group, peers. He's also finished in the Top 5 in multiple majors. I'd say he's accomplished a lot and not "proven very little" as was stated.

He should not be dismissed because guys his age have failed at winning. Is that new logic? "Sergio's wins are meaningless because guys his age haven't won."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Uhm, that actually makes Sergio's victories even more impressive. He's actually winning tournaments, more than any of his age-group, peers. He's also finished in the Top 5 in multiple majors. I'd say he's accomplished a lot and not "proven very little" as was stated.

I didn't say his victories were meaningless, I said it was a meaningless stat (to me anyways).

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!