IGNORED

Overrated Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The one who stands out for me is Michelle Wie. The Anna Kournikova of golf...

Pretty meaningless as far as this discussion - players

Then Monty can be scrubbed from the list IMO. I wouldn't say anyone is talking up Monty currently.

He was a prolific golfer on the European Tour and opted to neglect PGA Tour competition. I can understand why as he always seemed to get a hard time from the fans when the Ryder Cup was played in the US. Didn't he get booed at the tee by fans at Brookline?? With 5 second places in Majors I feel bad for the guy and hope he does win a major someday. I can't see it happening but he must be one of the best never to get one.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one who stands out for me is Michelle Wie. The Anna Kournikova of golf...

Underrated, I would say.

Alot of people think she doesn't deserve to be playing any events on any tour, and she is rarely talked about as the potential winner of the tournament. So how can she be overrated..?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

As far as I'm concerned; If you qualify for the Tour and make a good living playing this great game, your not over rated.

[dreaming]If I could be 20th-30th ranked and make 7 figures.... Sign me up!! [/dreaming]

For me Michelle is not overrated, just not ready for tour and needs time off. She has game, but her decisions have been less than stellar.

Stewart Cink, Chris D, and Padraig.
Great job on the majors, keep it up, but do something substansial in a normal PGA event.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

How's Sergio overrated though? His ballstriking is incredible. I followed him for the last 13 holes today and his ball striking was far superior to Pettersson and Allenby, who are known to be pretty good ball strikers themselves, but I was far more impressed with Sergio. He just can't putt up to his ability to strike the ball. He had 3 or 4 5-10 footers that he missed, if he makes a few of them he's looking at maybe 3 or 4 under par heading into tomorrow instead of just one under par. It's no secret he's not a very good putter for those out on tour.

Adam Scott I can understand though. He seems to just disappear forever sometimes.

I think Vijay is somewhat overrated. They seem to push him a lot when I'm watching The Golf Channel coverage but I don't see what makes him so great.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
His ballstriking is incredible.

Myth. I posted some time ago and he rarely rates highly in "ballstriking" type categories. He had like one good ballstriking year. The rest of the time, he's down in proximity, GIR, and so on.

Hell, he's 52nd this year on the PGA Tour in GIR alone. Peh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Myth. I posted some time ago and he rarely rates highly in "ballstriking" type categories. He had like one good ballstriking year. The rest of the time, he's down in proximity, GIR, and so on.

Doesn't he play mostly in Europe?

Plus, when I was watching him today (range included) his ball doesn't have much of anything. Most guys had a baby fade on their natural ball flight, or slight draw. Sergio's did nothing unless he was trying to shot shape it. I found it pretty incredible.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

How's Sergio overrated though? His ballstriking is incredible. I followed him for the last 13 holes today and his ball striking was far superior to Pettersson and Allenby, who are known to be pretty good ball strikers themselves, but I was far more impressed with Sergio. He just can't putt up to his ability to strike the ball. He had 3 or 4 5-10 footers that he missed, if he makes a few of them he's looking at maybe 3 or 4 under par heading into tomorrow instead of just one under par. It's no secret he's not a very good putter for those out on tour.

Sergio is one of my favirote players on tour, personality aside, but I really like the way he plays. He seems to have his head screwed on right these last 2 tournaments, but his putting still has alot to be dealt with.

Vijay? I dont know. He was number one in the world for a while. He's in his forties now where most other tops stopped playing. I think he's just past his prime.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Camilo Villegas

I'm not sure he's overrated (rankings are what they are), but he's definitely overhyped. He has yet to win on the PGA tour. He is ranked 42nd in the world behind Woody Austin and Tim Clark. Yet he gets endorsements, tv commercials, and constant love from the announcers during tournaments. He reminds me of Andre Agassi when Andre was young with the long hair ('image is everything') and popular with the female audience. Maybe his game will improve and he'll finish with a career similiar to Agassi. But for right now, try winning a tournament first.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

Villegas is defenitly overrated. Look at his play at the Barclays, he only has like 2 or 3 birdies. He doesnt impress me at all.

1. Anthony Kim

I disagree with Kim. It's nice to see a young player who is hyped through the roof actually play like he deserves it.

Doesn't he play mostly in Europe?

No. He plays more PGA Tour events. He's technically played 11 European Tour events but only 4 of them aren't events that count towards the PGA Tour (Majors, World Golf Events)

http://www.europeantour.com/publish....asontitle=2008 http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/1040
Vijay? I dont know. He was number one in the world for a while. He's in his forties now where most other tops stopped playing. I think he's just past his prime.

Yeah, give Vijay a break. The guy is just a little old now and still won Bridgestone a few weeks ago. He's not the guy he was even a few years ago but I think that's just age (the putter's always been a little balky).

Villegas is defenitly overrated

Agreed. Especially considering he hasn't even won yet.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Camilo Villegas

And he looks like a fruitcake. The first time I saw him on TV I thought, why is there a girl playing on the PGA tour that's not Michelle Wie? Oh wait, it's a guy.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Adam Scott, cause people take one look at his swing and start gushing about how good he is, but he rarely contends in majors.

I don't think Padraig Harrington is overrated now (he deserves all the hype he's getting), but in a year I think he will be. In other words people will talk about him being a threat to win the British or PGA, and I don't think he will show up.

And Immelman and Johnson. Since their masters wins, I've barely heard their name on a broadcast.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

plus zach johnson is a jerk, so i also think he's overrated.

recently phil has been overrated going into majors.

also furyk. hasn't done much. i think he was hurt, but he's disappeared.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I think Padraig Harrington is overrated. He wins a couple majors and now all of the sudden everything thinks he is the next big thing? Give me a break...
Phil Mickelson is also overrated. IMO, he doesnt deserve the #2 ranking.
Michelle Wie is DEFINETLY overrated. Im yet to understand why she has such a large group of fans watching her at every event she plays in.
I also think that Paula Creamer and Natalie Gulbis are overrated. IMO, if they werent so attractive-looking, they wouldnt be nearly as famous as they are.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!