IGNORED

NY course reviews

Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have family on long island..... i go there about 30-40 days a year....this summer i am playing three courses i have never played before on the island.....tell me what you think about each course
1-bethpage black
2-long island national (tournament)
3-harbor links

any other suggestions?

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

I liked the layout at Harbour Links. I only played it once or twice - I play the executive course as a warmup early in the season, which is better than most typical executive courses.

The big course is expensive, but the twilight fee is affordable. No walking. It's usually in good shape. Was built on top of a waste area, but you really can't tell., i.e. it doesn't smell. Some interesting holes with split fairways, minor elevation changes. Windy. I'd recommend it, but Black is tops.

Also take a look at Sawgrass. Don't forget Montauk Downs.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of my friends raves about Long Island National (the one of Riverhead), and I've heard good things about Mauntauk Downs.

Try out Eisenhower as well. Eisenhower Red hosts a Champions Tour event, and they keep the course in good shape.

Bring your patience, these are going to be 6 hr rounds.

Don't be afraid to give the NYC public courses a shot. Different atmosphere, not great conditions, slow rounds, but affordable and a worthwhile "experience".

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

i went to a dinner at eisenhower the week after the champions tour event and the course(s) looked great.......and about nyc.....I definitely wanna play van cortlandt park sometime soon, but i don't know that much about any other nyc ones

in my bag

I play Silver Lake the most of the NYC ones. Take the ferry down to Staten Island, and the bus is only a couple stops to the course.

Are you working this summer or just hanging out playing golf?

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Take a look at Split Rock GC in the Bronx. It's target golf, narrow fairways, lots of trees, some doglegs. The 1st and 10th tees are the easiest but the rest of the course is pretty challenging.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Van Cortlandt was in better shape than I expected when I played it last week. 8 new greens, although they're slooooow. The layout has been altered each time a new highway was laid through it, the 18 holes are separated by some long, windy paths up, over, and down the adjoining highways. It's short, save for two monster, 600+ yard par 5's.

Split Rock is nice, but very, very tight.

I recommend Saxon Woods in Scarsdale, it's a public Westchester muni, but nice layout with lots of variety.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

I play Silver Lake the most of the NYC ones. Take the ferry down to Staten Island, and the bus is only a couple stops to the course.

i'm only 16, so im gonna work as a caddie for half of the summer and go to ny the rest

in my bag

If you have access to a car, you might want to check out some of the NJ courses. There are some nice courses open to the public.

What's in the bag

If you're willing to drive an hour, an hour fifteen, from Manhattan and pay around $75, you have good courses to choose from. I like Neshanic in NJ and the Links at Union Vale north of the city.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Play Bethpage Red also while there.Out east play Rock Hill and Tall Grass.LI National is overated and used to be overpriced but they came down to get some more players.If you are going to go out east Montauk Downs is a must play.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Bethpage red is a great courses - so is green and blue. Spilt Rock is a great course and def. the most challenging the city has to offer - 131 slope from the tips. I really like to play Dyker Beach - its got a wussy slope rating of 119 but its actually a hard courses and def. in the best shape of ANY city course

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Bethpage red is a great courses - so is green and blue. Spilt Rock is a great course and def. the most challenging the city has to offer - 131 slope from the tips. I really like to play Dyker Beach - its got a wussy slope rating of 119 but its actually a hard courses and def. in the best shape of ANY city course

131 slope? This isn't really a big deal is it?

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

131 slope? This isn't really a big deal is it?

sorry i dont understand what you mean??

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

If you're willing to drive an hour, an hour fifteen, from Manhattan and pay around $75, you have good courses to choose from. I like Neshanic in NJ and the Links at Union Vale north of the city.

Can you expand on Union Vale? I was up there for a lesson, and from the parking lot/driving range, the course doesn't look like much. But it's a reasonable drive from the city, so I'm thinking it may be worth a shot.

Can you expand on Union Vale? I was up there for a lesson, and from the parking lot/driving range, the course doesn't look like much. But it's a reasonable drive from the city, so I'm thinking it may be worth a shot.

UV is an awesome course. It's not truly a links course, but close - there is heather and blind shots and friends from across the pond say it reminds them of home. It was used as a US Amateur qualifier a couple of times. No hole is the same, there are elevation changes and when in good condition, the greens are fast and true.

You're allowed to walk, unlike most courses in the area, and the green fee is reasonable, not $100+ like Hudson Hills and even cheaper in the afternoon. Based on my experience, UV doesn't get slow players that you get in the muni courses, probably because it's a bit out of the way. From the practice area, you can see the first and last holes, which are pretty good holes. 18 from the tips, is a doozy of a hole, 600+. Did it seem out of shape? I haven't played it this year yet. I was tempted to join, but their rates shot up this year. Still, I'll be playing it this year, eventually. The funny looking phrase on the sign at the entrance I guess is Irish Gaelic and reads something like "A thousand welcomes".

Steve

You're allowed to walk, unlike most courses in the area, and the green fee is reasonable, not $100+ like Hudson Hills and even cheaper in the afternoon.

Hudson Hills is $85 during prime time for non-Westchester residents. After 2PM, it's $65 and after 4PM, it's $35. This includes a GPS Golf Cart and an immaculate conditioned golf course. It's also 7000 yards from the tips.

Weekends is another story, however, it's also expensive for Westchester residents, too. If you're willing to play, late in the afternoon, it can be as cheap as $35, cart included.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I played La Tourette yesterday. Was very impressed. The layout is nice, and the condition was perfect. Slow pace of play, as was expected on Sunday afternoon. They just held some NY Am tourney there so the condition was better than usual, but it was fantastic. As nice as Eisenhower Red in my opinion.

What's in the bag

Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!